Author Topic: Totally new to smoke  (Read 35938 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Totally new to smoke
« Reply #-1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
Ok , whats your suggestions or thoughts taking the following into consideration?  I am listing the highest price that can be met so please...

1. This person is totally new to smoking. 

2. The MAX cost for the smoker is $250.. 

3. Electric or charcoal fuel.  I've had a couple of the cheap gas units so those are out.

I do not mind making mods to improve a unit. Adding door latches,seals, controlled vents are easy and cheap. I have the tools and ability for that. So if you know of something that just needs some small mods I can look at those. 

Thanks
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Totally new to smoke
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:28:34 PM »
Electric  Charbroil digital smoker  249.99

Charcoal: Barrel offset from hardware store....get some nomex and permatex...just under 250.00

Weber 22.5 kettle..can do grilling and smoking........150.00  plenty of coin left over for accessories
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:32:10 PM »
I would say either a Weber OTG or a Green Mountain DC.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »
Not really a smoker but the PBC is in your price range and uses charcoal. More of a power cooker but well worth the money IMHO
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 03:30:11 PM »
So "the person" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) is just getting started.

Okay, I'll go with what I know: Weber 22.5 OTG (or Premium, or whatever they're calling it now.)
  • New ones aren't really that expensive, buck & a half on Amazon and you're doing a butt for the SuperBowl.  Or the big box stores may have some reduced for quick sale.
  • There are hundreds of good quality used ones on CL for half that.
  • Tons of accessories - for smoking the first I'd add would be a Smoke n Sear, and the combination would still keep you within your stated budget.

I'd stay away from cheap offsets.  I think there's just too much that needs to be done to them to get them to cook right, plus a steep learning curve.

No opinion about electric, I've never used one.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 04:43:30 PM »
Well, I started on a cheap off-set and once you get past the curve you have great que and fire management skills that will last a lifetime........you also have a pretty darn big charcoal grill when not smoking.................just sayin.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »
Weber kettle.  I live my ltbbq kettle.  Use it all the time.  Sparky got me interested and sure glad I got one.  Can do it all.  Cooked some butts last weekend for guys at work and grilled some chicken tonight. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 08:54:29 AM »
Terry not sure if this helps, I started with a Brinkman electric smoker.

Their cheap in $$  easy to use and one can lean a little about smoking before moving up to more $$$ cookers like the MBS or even a Bradley.     

OR, go with the 22 in Weber, hard to beat.   

I know electric smokers are not the same as charcoal or wood but it's a good starting point and low $$ to get started before he/she becomes a full blow BBQ addict  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
Terry not sure if this helps, I started with a Brinkman electric smoker.

Their cheap in $$  easy to use and one can lean a little about smoking before moving up to more $$$ cookers like the MBS or even a Bradley.     

OR, go with the 22 in Weber, hard to beat.   

I know electric smokers are not the same as charcoal or wood but it's a good starting point and low $$ to get started before he/she becomes a full blow BBQ addict  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks Tommy, That's sort of where this started...Zak(son in law) was looking at the multi smoker unit at Lowes for $79.This is inside information from his wife. . .
 I cringed when I saw one. So many parts and pieces to lend error to any element of cooking... plus questionable quality for sure.
 Those old trusty Brinkmans are getting harder to find in stock here for some reason. Maybe just the mid season because the stock is low all around.  Plus they seem to have changed the design of the ones I do see.
I was considering the
Southern Country Smokers Stainless Steel Electric Water Smoker with 2 levels of cooking surface. (Amazon)
 But I cant find one to look at. Only online. I think I'll look on You Tube today and see what I can find.
If anyone has experience with one please let me know.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 02:14:30 PM »
I started with weber jumbo joe and just tweaked here and there didn't really know what I was doing.  Went to school used for tailgating as a grill and smoked some chickens here and there until I bought a house and got a combo grill with smoker.  I would advise against combo, because the gasser side went bad and was useless and took up too much space.  A guy at my gym uses a Charbroil, and he puts out a killer spread.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 03:23:44 PM »
Based on all the cookers I have owned and cooked on,  I have often said if I could only have one cooker and budget was a factor, I would have to go with a Weber Kettle every time!

Like Smoke mentioned, you can grill or smoke on them (I've  always done a LOT more indirect cooking on our Weber Kettle than actual grilling).

The main learning curve is in using the right amount of  charcoal for various types of cooking, then fine tuning the temp using the top vent (close it down to lower temp, open it more to increase temp).

Talk about durability, the porcelain-enamled kettle itself is covered by a ten-year warranty from Weber. Our Weber Kettle is over 27 years old now. It has a few dings,  BUT IT STILL WORKS!  And... the newer replacement parts still fit even our old model and are easy to find.

As far as versatility goes: there are more accessories available for Weber kettles than any other grill.

Yeah, a 22" Weber  kettle get's my vote!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 06:05:55 PM »
Well, I started on a cheap off-set and once you get past the curve you have great que and fire management skills that will last a lifetime........you also have a pretty darn big charcoal grill when not smoking.................just sayin.........
Learned to smoke on a homemade barrel grill made from a 55 gal. Barrel.
Fire on 1 end meat on the other.
This is a cheap store bought barrel grill.
Thin metal, leaks like a sieve , but for this kind cooker works great!
All you need is a charcoal basket made from expanded metal & you are good to go

http://www.lowes.com/pd_44754-49769-2121___?Ntt=2121+super+pro&UserSearch=2121+super+pro&productId=3033621
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline RAD

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »
Terry, I never really use my CB electric smoker and would glad to gift it. Needs a couple of mods that I'm sure you could do.  It's a couple of years old but in still great working order.
Love to cook and eat

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:05:09 PM »
For the amount budgeted I would go with the Weber Premium. I bought mine when the FireButler wouldn't fit my Weber Performer. I got it at Lowes and it was discounted. Can't go wrong with the Weber.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 02:53:48 PM »
First off I want to say how nice it is to be able to ask a question on this forum and get good honest answers. It helps to hear others experiences with products  and many times someone will mention something that I did not think about. Even if I don't agree there still is great value in others experiences. 

The main thing I was thinking about last night while looking at smokers is that many of us have had old grills that lasted for years and years... The problem is that the materials are just not the same anymore. Shortcuts at every turn.  So a grill that lasted 15 years 25 years ago was far superior to the same one today in many instances.
(I think the Weber kettle may be the exception)
 Companies selling out to LLC's which are all about the bottom $ and little or no concern given to quality or customer service.  The guys who are using good materials and trying to build in the USA are against fierce competition and  a younger generation of customers who don't even know what quality is.   Much less customer service.
 I have adjusted my price point due to these  issues. I have arrived at 3 products that cost exactly the same price. $299. They seem to have reasonable quality for the price point.
1. Weber Smokey Mountain
2. Char-Griller Akorn
3.  Oklahoma Joe Offset
Each has such a distinctive cooking style and after talking with Jack this morning I decided that the best thing to do is take Zak to Lowes and go over the pro's and cons of each one and let him decide. Just makes better since and I would want to pick my own if it were me. 
 I'll post pics of what he picks....

He gave me a really nice free beer fridge a while back so I'm justifying the extra $$ with that.