Author Topic: BRINKMAN SMOKIN'PIT, REVISED  (Read 22688 times)

Offline ncbengal

BRINKMAN SMOKIN'PIT, REVISED
« Reply #-1 on: April 29, 2016, 03:55:57 PM »
To all those who have had a Brinkman smoker with fire box on the side, and found out that doing a couple of Boston butts takes a pile of charcoal because all the heat goes right out the top, I did too.  So, mine sat in the back yard for a couple of years 'cause it's too heavy to take to the dump, and I could do butts on the Weber gas grill okay.  Then I had an epiphany.
I took the fire box off, and then took the door off the fire box and hung it to cover the opening left in the grill part.  A test firing to burn out the cobwebs and stuff showed me that a small amount of charcoal will last for hours.  So, I had to try it!
I am NOT a rib-o-file, but read a source that said use a rub and then wrap the slab in heavy foil.  Let them go for about an hour, and they will be about done.  Temp. got up to 350 and I didn't want 'em to burn, so I took 'em off.  They were done.  These were "St. Louis Style" (?) ribs, and on sale.  I haven't got the nerve to risk screwing up some BABY BACKS, yet, but hopefully I will soon.  I let the coals burn down awhile and put the ribs back on without the foil for about an hour.  I think they're going to be good if I can keep my wife out of them until supper.  I'll let you know. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:26:22 PM by ncbengal »

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: BRINKMAN SMOKIN'PIT, REVISED
« on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:19 PM »
Looking forward to hear about it
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 04:27:12 PM »
Good save on the grill !
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 04:46:56 PM »
Can never go wrong with heat and smoke on one side and meat on the other....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ncbengal

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:24:42 PM »
 :) :) :) Well, I'm back again, first to correct not being a "fib-o-file" - meant to say "rib-o-file".
Test run went better than I could hope for.  Outback's got nuthin' on us! 
A couple more modifications on the old Brinkman (to get the grates up away from the heat a little more) and I think we'll be in business!