Author Topic: I have been asked if this is true  (Read 2659 times)

Offline hikerman

Re: I have been asked if this is true
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 12:23:30 PM »
Tommy I think you were partially right. Meat seems to take in more smoke below 165F because the meat is looser, as the temp goes up the meat tightens so as not to allow as much smoke into the mass. But even tho less smoke enters the meat it still has an effect as long as it is there.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »
Real judging from judges in a comp is one thing,   real people tasting and giving you feed back is another.

Exactly. 
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 02:22:57 AM »
Tommy it's true, and Sparky got the temp right.  Meat stops ABSORBING smoke at around 140° F.

This is because at 140° the myoglobin starts to denature (which is also why the smoke ring stops developing at 140°) and the cell walls on the outside layers of the meat constrict and wall up, thereby stopping osmosis, which is what carries water soluble smoke particulates (phenols) into the meat.

HOWEVER....   Smoke particulates will continue to adhere to the outside of the meat, which still contributes smoky flavor.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Hub

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 08:37:29 AM »
Years ago, on another forum we got into an extremely lengthy discussion of smoke penetration and when and how to smoke to best effect.  After about a week of some really well researched (even scientific publishings) posts and theories and even a joke or two no solid conclusion could be reached.  Findings differ even among experts and even the definition of "smokiness" can be a tossup.  So . . .

Common sense:  Meat going into a smoky environment that is raw and has its maximum porosity is going to absorb more smoke flavor than meat which has been partially or totally sealed on the surface because of cooking.  This does not mean that meat cannot or does not absorb more smoke flavor later in the cook but does logically imply that it absorbs more earlier in the cook all else being equal.  There are also differences in meat by type, cut, and other factors (e.g. rub type, application method and timing).  All of this is why so many recipes and approaches exist.

Another factor, particularly applicable to taste, is the smoke production method and source.  Folks who prefer and seek heavy smokiness in the finished product will often utilize significant time in "white smoke" -- deliberately induced smoldering -- while those who seek more balance with other ingredients and flavor will induce more "blue smoke" (non-smoldered) time.  Certain woods (mesquite, hickory, etc.) are more intense for added smokiness while others (apple, alder, etc.) may produce a "sweeter" but less intense impact.

My point is not to sum up the thread or end discussion, but rather to suggest that when we post a recipe or approach on something we've smoke we should remember to sum up what type smokiness we were trying for and what we got  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
I've heard smoke does not sick to the meat very well at 140.  Dry surface so nothing to hold it.  Smoke adheres to cold or wet surfaces much better.   So if you spritz the smoke has something sick to.   
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 11:14:07 AM »
Good explanation Hub.
When I use to smoke on stick burners, my last one being a Lang 36, I had to foil at 160 or so or I would get to much smoke flavor. 

Switched to mainly pellet smokers and I can go with or without foil becasue of the light smoke induced by a pellet smoker.

As I said earlier, my food judges are my family and they all say the food coming of the pellet grill without being foiled has more intense flavor.  In a pellet grill I mainly foil to increase tenderness, prevent drying and add additional flavors.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,