Author Topic: I'm thinking of downsizing my grills/smokers. Need some input.  (Read 3306 times)

Offline 70monte

I'm thinking of downsizing my grills/smokers. Need some input.
« Reply #-1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:21:15 PM »
I've been thinking of downsizing for quite some time now but it's hard for me to let some things go so I would like some opinions on what things to keep and what things to go.  Here is what I have.

Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill.--  I pretty much restored it after I got it.  I've had it for a few years and still use it on occasion.  It has all newer stainless steel flavorizer bars and grates as well as fairly new burner tubes and regulator.  It's a redhead.
Weber silver A two burner gas grill.-- Replaced a lot of the same things as my other gas grill.  I use it when I don't need the space of the bigger gas grill.
Weber Mastertouch 22" kettle-- Still NIB and got at Walmart for $99.
2007 Weber Performer gas assist model.-- Bought used.  It's got the newer metal table on it.  I like that it is taller than the older models.  I don't use it much but it comes in handy occasionally.  Plus I have a ton of Weber accessories.
1995 Weber Performer gas assist.-- This is a Redhead that I restored about eight years ago.  I have not used it in years but up to this point, I can't get myself to sell it.
18" WSM, an older model.-- Have not used it in a few year ever since getting the PBC.
14" WSM-- Same deal as the bigger WSM.  Not used in a few years.
18" newer model Weber Jumbo Joe.-- I use it sometimes and take it with me occasionally on vacation.
14" Weber smokey Joe-- Have not used it in years.
Weber gas anywhere.-- Older model with wooden handles.  Still in great shape.  take it on vacation occasionally.
Ole Smokey 22" & 14" grills.--  The 14" is still NIB.  I bought it for vacation use but have not used it yet.  I have not used the 22" in a long time but I have taken it on vacation a few times.
PBC-- It's an older model that I bought used.  It still is in good shape.  I use it occasionally but really like it as a smoker.
Good One Open Range.-- I bought it new last year for half price.  Great smoker that I'm still learning to use.  Pretty much set it and forget it.
Original style PK grill that I bought new last year.  I really like this grill and it's very miserly on fuel. I have many of PK's accessories for it.  I took this one to the beach on vacation for a week.
New PK360--  I really like this grill too.  I'm still learning on it.

I think that is everything I have.  Obviously I will be keeping the PK360 for the moment since I just got it.  I will be also keeping at least one of the gas grills.  I'm also leaning on keeping the Open Range and one of the Performers.  I just need some input on why or why not you would keep or get rid of the stuff I have.  Obviously I'm not being very objective because I want to keep everything In case I might want to use it but realistically I think I have too much stuff and my fiancee would agree.  Thanks.

Wayne

Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline Pappymn

I'm thinking of downsizing my grills/smokers. Need some input.
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:50:20 PM »
All I can say is wow! You must have some garage or patio
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: I'm thinking of downsizing my grills/smokers. Need some input.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:50:59 PM »
Hmmmm. If you look at my sig I might be the wrong one to ask, lol! I had a PBC but sold it so my vote would be to ditch that one. You said you like it so that probably isn't going to happen, lol. I would then say maybe the Weber silver A two burner gas grill since you can use the Genesis. Also the Weber Mastertouch since you've never even taken it out of the box. That pretty much says that even you know you don't want it. Next the 18" WSM since you choose the PBC over it. The 14" can go too, all of them.

So keep the PK grills, the Genesis, both Performers, PBC, Jumbo Joe, Weber Gas Anywhere, Ole Smokey 22", Good One

There, I got you down to 10 from the staggering 16!! LOL!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »
There, I got you down to 10 from the staggering 16!! LOL!
Yep I agree and just to help, you can send the ones you are getting rid of to my cooking area in Savannah, GA. :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline FrugalQ

• B-TOWN INDIANA
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 06:00:09 PM »
That's a hell of a collection but obviously some redundancy.  You almost cut it in half if you eliminate the doubles of the same style cooker. I would think one gets  spared the axe to maybe be a dedicated vacation cooker?  I know lots of guys move on from PBC but that's not on my agenda anytime soon. It's as set it and forget it as it gets for me for a charcoal cooker.  (I've left mine lots of times long enough for 18 holes 20 miles away and came back to mine rocking 250-259 every time).  Along with the fact it has a different flavor profile than other cookers.  You've got tough decisions to make. But I'm a lot jealous either way. If you need advice on my shipping address for one Im game for that too. Lol!
IF IT BLEEDS.. WE CAN GRILL IT!
Throw some on for me!

Weber Performer Deluxe Crimson (Hoo-Hoo--Hoosiers!!)
PBC
Pit Boss PB700FB
SNS+ w/DNG
GrillGrates
Vortex
Shun & Miyabi Cutlery
Inkbird
Broil King Regal 490 Pro (R.I.P.)
Red KitchenAid Pro (its the fastest)
InstantPot
Anova
Red Thermapen MK4

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »
This is definitely not a fun thing to do.These become members of the family for some of us - sort of! ???
And please take no offense to any comments as that truly is not the intent.
And you didn't say how many are going to new surroundings.
First I would bunch them into categories.  Gas/ charcoal/ grill / smoker

Keeping for sure

PK360
1995 Weber Performer (because :D)

Ditching
I would let go of both full size gas grills. IMO they are handy...and that's it. I prefer wood and charcoal. So much better taste and it's primal. 4 years ago I gave our youngest daughter our 6 mo. old CharBroil Infrared. It was a good grill, but have not missed it in the least. You just have to think ahead a bit.
The Mastertouch
2007 Performer- MAYBE
14" WSM
Both Old Smokies

I would keep the rest
And call it a day. A painful one to boot! I'd definitely have to get the rye bottle out!

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
to start I would write down the types of cooks I want to do (smoking butts, grilling chicken, steaks, etc). Then I would list the grill/smoker I like the best for each cook. If that doesn't reduce the number, look at those others that survived the first cut that may not be the main choice but are a close second. Keep doing that until you get to the number you want to get down to.
Then pack up the rest and send them to me.  : )
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 06:43:34 PM »
I like the idea of categorizing by type of fuel. That shows you what you have of each and maybe a way to let go of duplicates like said above. I have 3 kegs and will be ditching one if not two by the time I move and also will be losing the gasser and side burner as they're built ins so that makes it easier for me :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline 70monte

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »
Thank you for all of the replies.  I really wish I could get it down to a couple or few but realistically I don't think I will be able to.  Obviously some of my stuff like my PK's, Performers, and the Open Range can do double duty as both a smoker and grill so it's hard to justify keeping anything beyond those.  Plus do I really need both PK's even though I want to keep both?  I really don't need both performers but I like different things about both plus the Redhead performer I put a lot of work into fixing it up.  The PBC is a great smoker and okay grill.  I like that it's pretty much set it and forget it but so is my Open Range which I really like as well.

Decisions, decisions.

PS. I wrote a little review with a few photos of my impressions of my new PK360 in the Product review section if anyone is interested. 
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 08:18:25 PM »
Take a deep breath.... it will be ok :D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »
1) Keep open range as it's a big charcoal grill & smoker. With a charcoal basket will work fine as small grill or smoker.
2) Keep the Redhead Genesis gasser , works as gas grill & outdoor oven.
3) Keep new PK as your wife will never let you buy another cooker if you sell your new cooker.
Sell everything else.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:49 AM »
WOW...what great collection of fine grills and smokers.

"quote"
I'm not being very objective because I want to keep everything In case I might want to use it but realistically I think I have too much stuff and my fiancee would agree.

My friend, there is only one solution...get rid of the fiancee!
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »
WOW...what great collection of fine grills and smokers.

"quote"
I'm not being very objective because I want to keep everything In case I might want to use it but realistically I think I have too much stuff and my fiancee would agree.

My friend, there is only one solution...get rid of the fiancee!
I understand..make her get rid of half of her shoes..just sayin   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »
to start I would write down the types of cooks I want to do (smoking butts, grilling chicken, steaks, etc). Then I would list the grill/smoker I like the best for each cook. If that doesn't reduce the number, look at those others that survived the first cut that may not be the main choice but are a close second. Keep doing that until you get to the number you want to get down to.
Then pack up the rest and send them to me.  : )

Good advice.  I own five cookers, each of which has at least one strong point that I often use.  Some of them can "double up" but I usually don't use more than one cooker at a time.  Every now and then I'll see folks on here talking about a new cooker but once I dig into it I usually find that I've already got great capability for what they're talking about.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »
I too have recently thinned my herd and it hurt to see some of my old friends go. I agree with Lost Arrow. The Open Range and PBC and Weber gasser will handle all of your outdoor cooking needs and then some...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32