Author Topic: I am by no means a pitmaster but.....  (Read 7101 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
I am by no means a pitmaster but.....
« Reply #-1 on: November 07, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »
.....would there be any interest of my brisket prep and cooking technique? I have a friend who ate one of my briskets (he and his wife are KCBS judges) and they told me it was the best brisket they've ever eaten and wants me to teach him how to do them, lol. I figured that the next time I cook one, I'll document each step so I can show him what I do and how I do it. Maybe some here might find it useful? I may even do a little experimentation at the same time.

I'm just a hack so don't expect Moe Cason, Myron Mixon, Aaron Franklin type stuff but it might be beneficial for one or two people. Maybe not, lol!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: I am by no means a pitmaster but.....
« on: November 07, 2017, 02:35:39 PM »
Heck RG, swing over to the beef recipe section and lay it on us. There are so many ways to do a brisket, lets see how you do yours.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 05:29:10 PM »
Heck RG, swing over to the beef recipe section and lay it on us. There are so many ways to do a brisket, lets see how you do yours.

X2!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 05:57:34 PM »
.....would there be any interest of my brisket prep and cooking technique? I have a friend who ate one of my briskets (he and his wife are KCBS judges) and they told me it was the best brisket they've ever eaten and wants me to teach him how to do them, lol. I figured that the next time I cook one, I'll document each step so I can show him what I do and how I do it. Maybe some here might find it useful? I may even do a little experimentation at the same time.

I'm just a hack so don't expect Moe Cason, Myron Mixon, Aaron Franklin type stuff but it might be beneficial for one or two people. Maybe not, lol!
Heck yeah! Why do you think I come here. Guys like you teach me a lot. Thank you for taking the time to document the process.
Love to cook and eat

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:48 PM »
Okay then. It's settled :) The next one I do, I'll take pics of the whole affair and make a little "How To" out of it! It's not reinventing the wheel but maybe y'all will see something you like and might want to try. You may even have some advice for me, that's always good too!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
sounds good rg
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »

X2!

X3!!!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:22:56 AM »
You've just described why this forum exists.  We share.  You'll see my brisket approach/recipe here (adapted from KCBS competition for easier home "friends and family" cooking).  Sounds to me like you've got a good one and we'll all be the worse off if you don't share it with us  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
I already know there are two things I'm going to see in that upcoming post that I want.
One is your brisket and the other is a KBQ!
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 06:26:35 PM »
I already know there are two things I'm going to see in that upcoming post that I want.

LOL! Indeed sir, that KBQ is the go to smoker around here. I wish I could get you some brisket from it, I think you'd like it. It's far better than what I was able to produce in the past but I will admit I certainly miss the Keg doing the work while I slept :)

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 10:42:56 PM »
I haven't forgotten about this little project, I've just been crazy busy but that's life! In order to maybe make a video worth watching, I ordered a decent microphone to do voice overs on videos. My goal is to smoke one this weekend on the KBQ and take pictures and videos and make something hopefully worth watching.

Here's the new mic at RG Studios :P

I have some ideas on how to present it, time will tell if I have the skill to do such :)

Offline bamabob

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 10:43:18 AM »
You've got the setup and the skills Jason.  Can't wait to see the brisket video.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »

bamabob, there are really three things we want to see. One is the brisket, two is the KBQ, and the third is RG.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
RG, we will wait patiently for your KBQ brisket video. Can't wait to hear your smooth dulcet tones from your new voice over mic. It looks like you won't even get the mic wet because of that "spit" screen. This is gonna be good.

Offline bamabob

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »

bamabob, there are really three things we want to see. One is the brisket, two is the KBQ, and the third is RG.

I've seen RG before, shook his hand, looked him in the eye.  Careful what you wish for!!   ;D ;D

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4