Author Topic: Christmas prime rib decisions  (Read 2250 times)

Offline ClimberDave

Re: Christmas prime rib decisions
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 11:29:59 AM »
I have the same dilemma, weber or PBC.

I am bringing a rib roast to the mountains for the holidays, and there is  no BBQ  in the mountains (and charcoal not allowed)  Last year cooked it sous vide and finished in the oven  with great results.

This year, thinking low and slow, most likely on my Weber with the  Slow and Sear with a small chunk of red oak. Bring  it to temp and reverse  sear it.   Thinking of trying Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust.

When its done let it cool  (while trying not to slice into it)   bag it,  bring to the mountains and reheat sous vide,  then play it by ear,  will probably need some time in a really hot oven to get that crust back.   
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 01:05:10 PM »
Gus and the Turtle are correct in my opinion.  I have been useing the Kenji Seriouseats method for my rib roasts for years and always with perfect results.  There are many pics on my posts.  I cook @ 185 with hickory smoke to a IT of 127— that is low and slow, FTC for about 1hr.  IT will rise to 132 - 135, perfect for what this family likes.  It works every time.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
Adrenaline  BBQ has a video using the Weber Kettle and the Slow n Sear.  Go to their website to find it.  I think that I will use their method this year, as it really looks good.  Others have recommended similar methods.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »
I cold smoke the roast for an hour or so then i cook it in the oven using the recipe in the link below

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html

I done this for 4 Christmases and think the recipe is correct in that it makes the perfect rib roast

I have done this before (not smoked first) it turns out fantastic ;D.  When I do this again I will add the smoke :thumbup:
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.