Author Topic: Bacon Jerky  (Read 10491 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Bacon Jerky
« Reply #-1 on: May 09, 2020, 02:50:47 PM »
Hey..today I am making some bacon jerky...I got some double smoked really thick cut bacon from sam's club, so I cut it up and put it in the dehydrater.  I also added soem fresh cracked pepper to it because I like it that way..will see in a day or so hwo well it does. My daughter in law got us some and it was killer so I thought I would try it. Wish me luck.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Bacon Jerky
« on: May 09, 2020, 04:46:42 PM »
Looking forward to your "final review." Our commissary had their last five packages (1.5 lb. each) of Wright's Double Smoked on "close to sell-by date" sale for $3 each so I have 7.5 pounds in my freezer and a dehydrator that hasn't earned its keep in quite a while.

P.S. - I thought you had to "pre-cook" the bacon in the oven before dehydrating or you'd have too much fat and it might go rancid.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:19:12 PM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 06:46:29 PM »
Ka Honu..I thought of that but I have never cooked any meat before dehydrating it..even sausage, will see what happens..might have to eat it pretty quick..poor lil me..lol, but will let you know..it sure smells wonderful in my garage tho...wonder if it would go rancid if I vacuum sealed it? Or I could freeze it.  It doesn't appear to be very greasy now and should be done by tomorrow..I put it on a 1:30pm EDT.. I will be sure and degrease it with paper towels before sealing.     .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Lines

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 06:57:47 PM »
Just cooked our last package of Wright's Double Smoked bacon. That is good stuff. Good luck Pam!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 07:51:02 PM »
Until I see how yours turned out I decided to just make candied bacon in the oven for a friend's birthday Monday. Went to the store this morning and bought 2 more packages (hickory smoked this time) so I wouldn't have to raid my freezer stash. Only 3 pounds (it'll have to be rationed) but that's not my problem. Might try a bourbon-based recipe I saw because I've had a bottle of Maker's Mark in the bar for a few years and might as well use some of it (I can't drink bourbon but I occasionally cook with it).

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 07:59:59 PM »
I have been thinking about what Ka Honu said about cooking the bacon before making into jerky, but I have dehydrator set at 155º and I cook pork until 145º, I'm interested to see what happens, but it sure smells good.
Thanks Lines
Ka Honu..let us know how it turns out, but it sounds good..bourbon and bacon are friendly.  I'm a Jim Beam girl.   
 .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 10:00:34 AM »

Honestly, it sounds good either way to me. I can't see why it can't be Foodsavered and then put in the freezer. That is IF there's any left to freeze. ;D
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Lines

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 10:35:50 AM »

Honestly, it sounds good either way to me. I can't see why it can't be Foodsavered and then put in the freezer. That is IF there's any left to freeze. ;D
That would be the situation if I tried it.
 Bacon's gonna be the death of me, but what a way to go!

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 08:50:57 AM »
Got results..it tastes fabulous..I dehydrated at 155º and it was done, I do pork chops to 145º..maybe a lil over done, it was chrunchy. I think it needed to be thicker or maybe I let it go too long..I added fresh cracked pepper and that made it fabulous. I am not unhapp,y but gonna try it with some fresh smoked pork belly cut thicker. It won't last long enough to vac seal it.  Thanks for looking    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 05:19:30 PM »
Changed my mind again and candied the bacon with a mix of brown sugar, BBQ rub, and cayenne. Baked in 375o convection oven for 12 minutes, flipped, and another 12 minutes. Scrumptious!

Offline Oneof11

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 07:48:05 PM »
I have done the candy bacon and it is tasty. Have you ever had chicken fried bacon? Oh boy!!!  It all look delicious.
Go Chiefs!!!!

Offline Lines

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
Sounds great Pam. May have to attempt that someday.