Author Topic: Weber genesis comments and questions  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Weber genesis comments and questions
« Reply #-1 on: January 03, 2018, 05:27:29 AM »
     I'm really loving my gas grill lately. It's so darn cold in the east for 2 weeks now . I love the convience. So since Christmas I got a Weber brand rotisserie. I have done 3 cooks on it. Chicken twice and a top round roast. All have been amazingly delicious. The thing is the spit rod has bowed. I am exchanging it for a new one. If this one bends I'll simply return it for good. It's my first owned rotisserie so I don't know if this is a common problem or not. Im not happy about it though. I put the meat in the center ( where it should be ) and it doesn't seem strong enough imo.  Being it's a Weber product I'm surprised.
      Now I want to talk about smoke . The smoke boxes only seem to work if the heats cranked high. This is counterproductive for a low and slow cook. The foil packet works a little better because the foil is this and heats easier. Both systems have pros and cons. What I'm looking into though is the pellet tube smoker things. Anybody here use them and can give me some feedback.? Seems nice but..... says it will smoke for 6  hours or so. Says to get one end lit than blow it out , than set it and forget it. If people have used this do the pellets stay smoking ? I'm concerned that they'll go out and not burn fully. Should I get one .
       If someone thinks all 3 of these methods are junk and theirs even a better way let me know. I would appreciate it. I'm sticking to my gasser for a few months at least till winter is over. I'm not trying to start a riot but I think gas grills get a bad rap. It's all about the cook
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Weber genesis comments and questions
« on: January 03, 2018, 08:28:08 AM »
Im surprised about the Weber Rotisserie had one years ago and it worked fine on my Weber gasser. I say try it again maybe call customer service at Weber and get their thoughts. If the second one doesnt work I believe their may be some after market types that might work better. As far as Smokin Tube is concerned if you follow the directions it will work just fine should give you several hours of smoke depending on the size you buy.
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:52:26 AM »
1. Weber has great customer service..give them a call. Likely that will replace the rod. But also note how much weight...an how it is distributed on the rod.

2.Gas grills have never - for me- been a good option for low and slow. Nor are they good at smoke production. I know that the knobs that are meant to tell us that the temp... more less...well - they are merely "generalizations. Not a thermostat.
You can install a thermostatic control on your Weber. It is not cheap, and the installation has a degree of skill involved that may or may not be what you are comfortable with. There are some old threads here on LTBBQ about a member that upfit his gas grill this way.
But - realistically - when you have an open flame rather than smoldering coals ( or pellets, or wood chips which are ignited as needed via a thermostatically controlled glow rod as in a pellet grill) you will not get the control for temp - or the smoke production you are looking for.
You can get "some" - but it will usually not be much before the smoke fuel ( pellets or chips ) burn up.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »
.....all good points and the smoke that you will attempt to add will probably not be the clean smoke you desire............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »
A second thought....

If you want temp control, smoke - and the ability to grill, and use of a rotisserie...Many of today's pellet grills will give you all of that.....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 03:51:22 AM »
          Are you allowed to recommend one or is that against the forum rules. I have an idea how they work. Let me do some research. Off the top , is burning pellets the only source of fuel? Meaning theirs no such thing as a smokeless meal on a pellet smoker ?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »
          Are you allowed to recommend one or is that against the forum rules. I have an idea how they work. Let me do some research. Off the top , is burning pellets the only source of fuel? Meaning theirs no such thing as a smokeless meal on a pellet smoker ?

We are always allowed to share our experiences, and recommendations based on those experiences. I have owned several pellet grills - from the inexpensive - to the higher end.

MAK is my favorite brand. There are many good brands, and the choices you make based on satisfying your needs may be different from mine - or others. And that the product you choose fits YOU is all we hope to advise you to do. Every brand has it's pro's and cons.
What I wanted was to buy a grill that I would not ever have to replace. Not just from potential of rusting out - but one that could be up-graded as technology and needs change. I also wanted the best controller with multiple ports for different foods being cooked at the same time. I wanted WiFi connectivity so that if I needed to be gone form the house, I could still check on the grill, and turn it up, down or off....from anywhere n the world that I can get an internet connection. So, I wanted a grill from a company that was a proven innovator not just a "me too" outfit. ( If you look at all of the industry awards that MAK has earned - it becomes clear the they are very leading edge).
I wanted a good variety of accessories - to make my grill as flexible as possible, for differing cook scenarios. And - I wanted to be assured that the manufacturer was reachable, and quick with any potentially needed parts and tech support.
So - this above is some of my rationale in making MAK my choice. ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401