Author Topic: Brisket in SV  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Brisket in SV
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 03:42:52 PM »
Finishing sous vide ribs on the Weber usually only takes about 30-45 minutes so that's your window for adding smoke. Check out seriouseats.com - I think Kenji has a "how to" on sous vide ribs that should get you started.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 04:23:01 PM »
I do SV at 135 for 36 - 48 hours. Chill completely then smoke at lowest temperature. My KBQ can hold 160 degrees.

Tender steak like texture. I have a picture somewhere

How long do you smoke for? 3-4 hours?

That's Right.
Of course, do not expect that 12 hour smoke bark.
I've been doing brisket this way for a while

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline zueth

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »
Finishing sous vide ribs on the Weber usually only takes about 30-45 minutes so that's your window for adding smoke. Check out seriouseats.com - I think Kenji has a "how to" on sous vide ribs that should get you started.

I checked it out, do you add the liquid smoke like he suggests or do you omit because you finish on grill, do you do the 145 for 36 hours?

Offline zueth

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »
I do SV at 135 for 36 - 48 hours. Chill completely then smoke at lowest temperature. My KBQ can hold 160 degrees.

Man that looks really good, do you re-apply rub after taking out of water before finishing on grill or smoker?
That's Right.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 12:52:52 AM »
I checked it out, do you add the liquid smoke like he suggests or do you omit because you finish on grill... Depends on how I feel when I'm prepping the ribs.

...do you do the 145 for 36 hours? I generally do baby backs at 138°F for 36 hours or St. Louis for 10 hours at 165°F.

Also, as a general tip, sometimes you get a funny smell (usually with beef) after a long, low temp sous vide cook. The easy way to avoid the problem is to scald in boiling water for 30 seconds after vacuum sealing when cooking meat below 140°F for 8 hours or longer.

Offline zueth

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 05:21:06 PM »
I checked it out, do you add the liquid smoke like he suggests or do you omit because you finish on grill... Depends on how I feel when I'm prepping the ribs.

...do you do the 145 for 36 hours? I generally do baby backs at 138°F for 36 hours or St. Louis for 10 hours at 165°F.

Also, as a general tip, sometimes you get a funny smell (usually with beef) after a long, low temp sous vide cook. The easy way to avoid the problem is to scald in boiling water for 30 seconds after vacuum sealing when cooking meat below 140°F for 8 hours or longer.

Thanks so you vacuum pack, then put jn boiling water for 30 second then into sous vide?

Offline zueth

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »

Man that looks really good, do you re-apply rub after taking out of water before finishing on grill or smoker?
That's Right.

So when do you it this way it is like a tender steak, but not fork tender like when you cook in smoker the whole time to a IT of 190-195?

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 09:43:09 AM »

That's Right.

I'm a salt and pepper guy. Fresh cracked black pepper just before smoking
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 09:45:38 AM »

Thanks so you vacuum pack, then put jn boiling water for 30 second then into sous vide?

That's exactly right. It's fork tender and doesn't crumble.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline zueth

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »
So I picked up a Brisket and the smallest they had was 15lbs, do I need to adjust cooking times at all because of how big it is?  I was looking for 10-12 lbs, but they didn't have any that size.  Thanks for all the input and advice.  Going to start the cook on Thursday or Friday.

Offline zueth

Brisket in SV
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 11:48:55 PM »
Sounds like I can just plan on the same times. Will let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 07:48:11 AM »
For red meats I like to Sous Vide for 2 hours per inch of thickness. So...If you have 2" thick steaks or chops...4 hours.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline zueth

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »
For red meats I like to Sous Vide for 2 hours per inch of thickness. So...If you have 2" thick steaks or chops...4 hours.

Thanks, but I don't think that will work with Brisket, most say 24 hours minimum to get them tender.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 08:46:05 PM »
You're correct. Tee's "preferences" only hold for relatively tender cuts like steaks, chops, cutlets, & tenderloin. Tougher cuts like brisket and flank steak will likely take closer to 5-6 hours per inch of thickness.

Offline zueth

Brisket in SV
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »
Ha Honu, what temp are you cooking brisket at while smoking? The 275 that kenji recommends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk