Author Topic: Is this safe?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Is this safe?
« Reply #-1 on: January 06, 2018, 07:43:40 PM »
First, I've been thinking about doing this for over a year now . . .

So, I had this plan to pick up a piece of angle iron.  What I want is something to keep my skewers off the grate so make turning them easier and so I don't have to deal with sticking.  I was at Home Depot theother day when I remembered my plan.  I found the angle iron, and figured I'd need either 2x2' or 1x4' piece(s).  I found a 4' piece of 1½"x1½".  D@mn that sh!t is heavy.

Then I noticed, right beside it, a 4' piece of 1½"x1½" angle aluminum.  Wow, it was very, very light, much easier to cut through, and no issues with rust ! ! ! 

My only question is, before I take hacksaw to it, is this material safe inside my Weber 26er?

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Is this safe?
« on: January 06, 2018, 07:55:21 PM »
I used it inside my Bradley to add extra rack holders. I'm still alive.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 08:50:51 PM »
I am not a fan of Aluminum - and high temps. In a Bradley, as Gus describe his usage - the temps are kept below 275F, so I don't think it would be a risk in that usage..  Het can oxidize Aluminum and when we add in any potential food acids contact - that can accelerate the process.

There are varying opinions on toxicity of aluminum. None that I know are concerned with immediate effects. Rather, it is the long term effects that many are concerned about. Some have linked aluminum in our "diet" as increasing the risks for dementia and alzheimer's diseases as well as other neurological health issues.

It is really up to you to determine whether you feel there is enough evidence to determine aluminum to be friend or foe. My history with heavy metals poisoning makes me lack objectivity on this one. I lean to the "better safe than sorry" philosophy nowadays.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 01:31:29 PM »
So, now I have to give it some thought . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline DWard51

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:32:11 PM »
Iron/steel would be less reactive to anything that spilled or dripped on it.  May not matter though as there will be a layer of smoke that builds up on either one.  Grill grates are made of aluminum and do not seem to have any problems in grills and smokers even directly over the flames.  Grill grates are anodized though and not bare aluminum.  I guess you could always hit it with high temp grill paint from HD also and then cure the paint in the smoker/grill before use.   It's not like you are going to be setting food on the aluminum anyway (at least that is the way I understood what you were doing).

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
My plan was to burn off the rails (my term) without any food to get any oils, etc. off before using them, but I can look into painting them as well.  They also should not be real high heat area as I plan to run my coals down the center of the grill, using the baskets to keep the coals in the center.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:56:49 PM »
 I would not paint them if they will be inside the cooking area. Paint would be much worse than the bare metal of any kind.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »
I would not paint them if they will be inside the cooking area. Paint would be much worse than the bare metal of any kind.

I am with Terry on that! :thumbup:
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:37:24 AM »
No paint inside, never, ever....let the smoke and grease do its thing......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »
I use angle aluminum in my MAK to hold up the A-Maze-N pellet tube, and my sausage racks are made of aluminum, and so far there's nothing wrong with me, with me, with me...
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Captianpaul

Is this safe?
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:08:44 PM »
Kinda dumb really think a bit.  Don’t we use    Here it is now get ready.......     
Aluminum foil!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stalag

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 10:13:16 PM »
I use angle aluminum in my MAK to hold up the A-Maze-N pellet tube, and my sausage racks are made of aluminum, and so far there's nothing wrong with me, with me, with me...

Yeah, I have used aluminum and am not drain bamaged...............
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 11:22:50 PM »
Kinda dumb really think a bit.  Don’t we use    Here it is now get ready.......     
Aluminum foil!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually...no - not ALL of us use aluminum foil. It will help to recognize that there are many ways to accomplish a goal. Including how we cook. We may not understand - or agree with them ...but we owe it to one another to respect the choices made by others that genuinely research the issues. "It's how I've always done it"...is not a well thought out response in any aspect of life - *IF* we choose to learn, and improve. Information grows at such a rate of speed that it is difficult to adsorb, and keep up sometimes. That is why we should want to share what we learn one another.
So, ask yourself this:
1. Do I know how aluminum oxidizes? Chemically...and via heat?
2. IF I knew that it is likely or suspected that the use of aluminum could be an added health risk - would I chose to find other materials/methods? Or would I continue using foil. No right or wrong answer...it is up to each individual.
3. There are credible studies that suggest strongly, that a link between aluminum and neurological illnesses such as alzheimer's, dementia, and others is valid. And - there are those that either ignore - or attempt to refute this.  Who is right? And - will that information change over the next few years? Likely it will as the knowledge base continues to grow....

Here is my reasoning on this:
Cigarettes were prescribed by medical doctors as recently as the early 1960's for nerves/anxiety. But we all know better now, right?
We cannot equate aluminum to iron, steel or even copper - all of which are used to make cookware ( steel is an iron based man made alloy which is highly resistant to oxidation either chemically or thermally ) we need very small amounts of iron and coper in our bodies for proper cellular activity, and metabolic process. In fact - for all biologically needed minerals and metals  you will find hundreds of manufacturers of "food supplements". You will not find one for aluminum. Why?

The answer for me is that it is of very little inconvenience to me to avoid using aluminum and plastics in my cooking/reheating of foods. I think of it no differently than choosing to not smoke, or deciding that I should wear my seat belt in a car or airplane.. Is it necessary? Maybe not. But look our history as a society of refuting...denying...then eventually admitting that something is bad for you. There are always large sums of money pushing any agenda, so it is fair to look critically at these things.
Not being an alarmist. And - there are rare occasions which I will use aluminum foil. But I do so in as "knowing" a way possible - after considering the facts, the probabilities,  and the possibilities.

No disrespect for those who choose otherwise. That's just how we roll....( yeah I know...like aluminum foil.... :D )
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
that's according  to you, you, you  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron