Author Topic: Pitts and Spitts pellet grill  (Read 5651 times)

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Pitts and Spitts pellet grill
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 05:24:13 AM »

I guess I'm missing it, thought these were all great grills.....

That ALL..."work".....

But, you have to consider what is important to you - and what is not. Once you are comfortable with that decision - it does not matter what anyone else thinks. Kinda like getting married ;) :D :D :D

Thanks Tee!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 01:37:43 PM »
When we were doing pellet consumption testing on the Yoder, we had the 300 buck thermal jacket on the darn thing in the summer and it still ate pellets like they were going out of style.

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

Pitts and Spitts pellet grill
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 01:44:09 PM »
When we were doing pellet consumption testing on the Yoder, we had the 300 buck thermal jacket on the darn thing in the summer and it still ate pellets like they were going out of style.
That’s crazy! I am really glad I asked about this new Pitts and Spitts. As nice and BIG as it looks, there are a couple of things, including the gauge of steel used, that have caused me to lose interest. 
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
In fact we also were testing a Camp Chef (before it came out) and a Rec Tec 680. They outperformed the Yoder easily.

Not bashing on Yoder and Pits but that thick metal is just not useful in the pellet grill world................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 08:50:18 PM »
In fact we also were testing a Camp Chef (before it came out) and a Rec Tec 680. They outperformed the Yoder easily.

Not bashing on Yoder and Pits but that thick metal is just not useful in the pellet grill world................
[/quote

Thanks Smoke! , for some reason I thought it was the other way that you wanted thicker metal so it would regulate better once it was heated.  What I think your telling us is that you are wasting pellets to heat metal when it is thicker just to get to temp so you can cook meat. Just use the pellets to cook meat, correct? What about the Bkazin Grill that was on my list too?  Thanks
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 01:00:00 AM »
Well, I think that HighOnSmoke and SavannahSmoker will be your best sources of info on this; that being said, I did pull the trigger on a loaded Blaz’n Grid Iron and had it delivered just a couple of days ago.  I had a house built over the summer and wanted a top tier pellet smoker for the backyard.  I had a short list of factors and Blaz’n hit more than any other out there for me:

- stable cooking temps and moderate pellet consumption (double wall construction was a plus)
- durable structurally and paint (Blaz’n’s parent company does industrial powder coating and metal work)
- PID controller (I believe the same controller as Memphis and RecTec)
- 1000+ sq. inches of cook space
- WiFi option
- comp cart option
- easy clean-up

I’ve found it to exceed most of my preconceptions and, while I want to dial in the P settings with the help of some Blaz’n owners, it’s very solid right out of the box.  The slide out burnpot is awesome and makes cleanup a breeze.  The cooker is VERY sturdy and the comp cart is stable over uneven ground and turf.  WiFi install/setup was a piece of cake.  The Pro Shelves option gave me well over 2000 sq. inches of usable cookspace (I do mostly wings and ribs for personal gatherings and team events).  For what I wanted, it was the right choice and tallied up under $2400 (and that was with pretty much every option plus a brutal shipping charge to Texas).

Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330