Author Topic: Foil wrapped, brown butcher paper wapped or Naked?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Sailor1

Foil wrapped, brown butcher paper wapped or Naked?
« Reply #-1 on: January 14, 2018, 09:32:28 AM »
Found this video and I think it does a great job of showing the 3 different methods of doing a brisket. I have to agree with the final findings of the panel of judges on the method that they though produced the best tasting brisket. Been doing briskets for over 40 years and done them every way I could think of and I always return to the judges #1 voted way to do them. What way is best? Foil wrapped, brown butcher paper wrapped or Naked? Watch the video to find out.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Foil wrapped, brown butcher paper wapped or Naked?
« on: January 14, 2018, 09:53:05 AM »
Good video....

Something to consider: A hybrid approach.  For me - I prefer to smoke a brisket for about 4 hours on the MAK - using the smoke setting. That is typically 160-170F. This is the time that the meat can "intake" the smoke - because the meat is still cool - and beginning to warm up. We know that once the meat becomes hot enough - the surface will dry a bit - and it will not adsorb as much smoke.

Then I will ramp up the temp to 250-275F depending on weather, and timing. for approx. 4 hours. Lastly - I will use butcher paper the last approx. 4 hours. Leaving the meat exposed/unwrapped during the middle of the cook. All times are just averages - because of differences in size of briskets I get -and the way each one tends to cook can vary.

It is a compromise approach that gives me great moisture retention - and a decent bark.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline old sarge

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »
I went electric a few years ago and smoked naked.  225 degrees and just let it go to an IT of 190/200. Wrap and rest for a couple of hours.  Always turns out good.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 03:25:46 PM »
I have done them all three ways and taking it naked to just past the stall and then wrap in butcher paper until it is toothpick tender ( about 200*- 205*) has worked best for me.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 05:14:50 PM »
I have done them all three ways and taking it naked to just past the stall and then wrap in butcher paper until it is toothpick tender ( about 200*- 205*) has worked best for me.

X2
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:01:00 PM »
I admit I'm no longer at my best when naked but my briskets still are. Having said that. I generally go electric like old sarge - the answer occasionally changes on those rare occasions when I go with fossil fuels.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 03:27:19 PM »
The last time I did my ribs naked the neighbor lady came over and started hitting on me, My wife won't let me do them naked any more,
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline zueth

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:48:39 PM »
I went electric a few years ago and smoked naked.  225 degrees and just let it go to an IT of 190/200. Wrap and rest for a couple of hours.  Always turns out good.

Whats the reasoning for switching to electric? do you feel you get a better end product when using electric vs pellet with a Brisket?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 05:31:23 PM »
I admit I'm no longer at my best when naked but my briskets still are. Having said that. I generally go electric like old sarge - the answer occasionally changes on those rare occasions when I go with fossil fuels.

The last time I did my ribs naked the neighbor lady came over and started hitting on me, My wife won't let me do them naked any more,

A theme song for the 2 of you...( well - it likely applies to more of us as well... :D :D :D)

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401