Author Topic: $6.79 for Flank Steak at Costco  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Pappymn

$6.79 for Flank Steak at Costco
« Reply #-1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:09:04 PM »
I think that is offensive......won't do it. Can't bring myself to pay that for flank steak ???

Who is responsible?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: $6.79 for Flank Steak at Costco
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:14:31 PM »
OUCH....sounds like a mis-mark that is so high...I know we have been warned that meat prices are on the rise - did they try to make all of the increases on one cut of meat???
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:39:27 PM »
Wow, that is expensive.  I've found that in my area Costco is one of the most expensive places to purchase meat, although the quality is typically quite good.

A colleague of mine suggested a butcher shop in a nearby town that has specials in packer cuts of meat (choice), and the prices are excellent:

The down-side is that you have to purchase in the large packs, then vacuum seal, and finally have the space to store them.  The prior time I went to the same shop, I purchased petit sirloin for $2.49/lb - I used most of it for burger meat - was absolutely delicious to eat steak burgers.

• Brisket - $2.99/lb (13 lbs)
  • New York steaks - $2.99/lb (12 lbs) - this is cheap enough so that I'm planning to use some of it for ground meat
  • Ribeye steaks - $3.99/lb (12 lbs) - they look great and will be used for searing.  However, at $3.99/lb, that is the same price as 15% ground beef at the local grocery store.  Kind of outrageous that I can get ribeye at a butcher shop for the same price as I can get ground beef at the marker.

Whole brisket

New York - here is what two steaks look like in a FoodSaver

Ribeye - again two back to back in the pack

Offline Pappymn

$6.79 for Flank Steak at Costco
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »
Pz......you are killing me. ;)

Costco here in Minnesota is always a good value on meat......that's why I'm so crabby about it
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »
Sorry Pappy!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:34:39 AM »
I think that is offensive......won't do it. Can't bring myself to pay that for flank steak ???

Who is responsible?

That isn't offensive.  It's criminal!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »
That sure is a high price to pay for a flank steak. Although, in reality, nothing really is a bargain here anymore. For example,

Tubes of ground beef from Sam's Club 90 per cent lean are $3.18 per lb. usually 10 lbs.

Rib eye steak USDA Choice $7.99 per lb.

Brisket 1.77 per lb. Select and choice. Prime is $3.29 per lb.

Whole Chicken is usually $0.88 per lb. either Sanderson Farms or Purdue.

Tri Tip sirloin from small meat market is $5.79 per lb.

I saw an add for T-bones fo $5.79 per lb. and rushed over to buy 4. After I grilled one we could hardly chew it. It was Select and I will not buy steak anymore that is select. I ended up grilling those steaks and cut them thin and gave them to Dixie our Golden Retriever.

I saved an old newspaper that my mother had saved which was published in 1945. The advertisement from a market (no supermarkets or chains in those days) read: Rib Eye steak - $.019 per lb. How's that strike you. She use to send me to the bakery and I use to bring home a fresh baked Italian bread for $0.10 a loaf still warm. Have we really made progress?

I feel for you Pappy. I think that everyone feels the pinch. I would imagine that the cost of transportation has inflated the expense of meats, vegetables and all groceries so much that the bite out of the American pay check is proportionally higher than it use to be with less discretionary income. Wait till you get on a fixed income like me and other retired folk and your earning power drops significantly from what it was when you were working.

Cheer up, it can only get worse. LOL.  :P

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.