Author Topic: Is it just me, or is Photobucket not user friendly anymore?  (Read 17489 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Is it just me, or is Photobucket not user friendly anymore?
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 05:47:07 PM »
It's noy just you Tommy. I've heard quite a few complaints this past year since they made changes.

There are times when I think certain photos (for tutorials and such) might be best stored by attaching them to the post (which uploads them to the forum server). 

Quote from: smokendevo
Having them on a photo site also allows me to post them on other forums that don't allow you to upload to their server.

Good point! The reason many forums don't allow uploading photos to their server (i.e. attaching photos) is because it means extra storage space and bandwidth for the forum, which has to be paid for.

It's a double-edged sword.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 05:49:31 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
I hope that this thread will spur us all to search nd find a better photo storage site. I am not happy with photo bucket, and Picassa isn't any better….

Cliff is spot on - we can't load photos to the LTBBQ server. Not just cost - but server stability issues become real when these servers have to deal with photo files...
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »
I hope that this thread will spur us all to search nd find a better photo storage site. I am not happy with photo bucket, and Picassa isn't any better….

Just curious, Tee, what issues do you see with Picasa?

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 01:08:36 AM »
I am not happy with photo bucket, and Picassa isn't any better….

Just curious, Tee, what issues do you see with Picasa?

Picasa as a photo hosting site is fine, it's what I use and actually like.

Now, the Picasa software is another story altogether, and that's what a lot of people (including me) do not like. Their software is cumbersome at best. Let's be honest, their software sucks!

BUT... here's what many people do not realize: You do NOT have to use or even download their software in order to use the Picasa photo hosting website. I don't, and I don't have any issues.

There are actually some advantages, such as a tag in the IMG code that lets you resize images on the fly (independent of BBcode resizing). They also make it fairly easy to organize your photos how you like (within reason).

That's my 2¢ worth! :D

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 01:18:01 AM »
This is a great topic with many good posts... I did not know we could upload our photos to this site ... and I didn't know Google was free if we stay under 2040x2040 pixels or videos shorter than 15 minutes. This is all excellent information, I appreciate everyone sharing their tips & thoughts as I hope to start posting again soon (hopefully with photos).
By the way, I have several cooks from last month that I took photos of but was too worn out after serving the meal to sit down here and post the results... I'm thinking all posts should be for current cooks, am I right on that??  Don
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 01:24:36 AM »
I'm thinking all posts should be for current cooks, am I right on that??  Don

I don't see why that should be. I, for one, would like to see any interesting cook from today or three months ago or more. I want to learn about what you are doing.

Cheers,

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 01:48:06 AM »
I'm thinking all posts should be for current cooks, am I right on that??  Don

I don't see why that should be. I, for one, would like to see any interesting cook from today or three months ago or more. I want to learn about what you are doing.

Cheers,

D

I wholeheartedly agree - I do not see any problem with cooks of the past (or any other kind of post).  After all, they are all worth sharing because we have not seen them.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 12:35:40 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to post pics w/ piassa.  and photo bucket wants me to pay money for more storage.  you can upload pics here from the computer.  I have to ask my kids how to do that.  computers.  we did have them when we were kids.  don't know why they are so important now.  I miss sitting around the fire when dad was bbqing.  all the adults have a beverage.  the kids on the side of the house doing stuff they weren't suppose to be doing.  I mess the old times.   :(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to post pics w/ piassa.  and photo bucket wants me to pay money for more storage.  you can upload pics here from the computer.  I have to ask my kids how to do that.  computers.  we did have them when we were kids.  don't know why they are so important now.  I miss sitting around the fire when dad was bbqing.  all the adults have a beverage.  the kids on the side of the house doing stuff they weren't suppose to be doing.  I mess the old times.   :(

but without computers we wouldn't have this wonderful place to share and talk BBQ.  And I would still be cooking in the kitchen.  My life is now better for the computer.  but I try and limit my computer time. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 06:05:46 PM »
Even though I load the pictures I use straight from my computer to LTBBQ, I do use Picaasa to edit my photos.

How do you go through the process of uploading a photo to Picassa and then get it to show in your post?

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 06:27:02 PM »
This is how I do it. Very simple

Open Google and sign up for a free account. Once you have done that sign in and look for this little box.

A drop down box will appear and click on photos

If you want to upload photos click on the upload button.

That will take you here. Basically you are creating a album.

Once you have your photo or photos up loaded click on it so it is displayed and right click it to get you URL that you will be copy and paste ing to the forums.

Than simply paste it into the img codes and your done.

Offline RAD

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:32 PM »
I've been using PB for a couple of years now and once in awhile it will freeze but for the most part it's ok for a free service. My biggest issue is sorting my PIC's on site. It is a bit of a pain.
Love to cook and eat

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 09:47:36 PM »
Thanks Smokendevo. It looks easy---I think.

Do you have to resize the pictures to upload for use on this forum, or does it resize on the down slope automatically?

Do you crate an "album" just for use on LTBBQ?

Besides use on this forum (and other forums) do you upload any photos for any other use?

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 11:45:26 PM »
Thanks Smokendevo. It looks easy---I think.

Do you have to resize the pictures to upload for use on this forum, or does it resize on the down slope automatically?

Do you crate an "album" just for use on LTBBQ?

Besides use on this forum (and other forums) do you upload any photos for any other use?

I think this post here explains the option your looking for.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=6683.0

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 07:04:28 AM »
Thanks. I will try it in the future, but it sure is easy to just have Picassa resize the photo you want to use and just upload it for the post.

For computer back up of photos , music, and documents, I just run a back up to an external hard drive once a month or so. External hard drives are very cheap, and this is a necessary task to prevent loss of photos and all. Computer is set up to do this automatically with Windows 7