Author Topic: Pork ribs FAIL  (Read 6875 times)

Offline PongGod

Pork ribs FAIL
« Reply #-1 on: August 19, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »
Well, up until this weekend, I have good results doing pork ribs in the PBC. This time, however, not one, but both of my racks of ribs ended up falling into the coal basket. The first one got pretty well charred and the second one, not so much since I managed to rescue it not long after it happened. Just like I always have, I hung them with the thicker side up and the hooks running between the 2nd and 3rd bones. The only thing I think that was different this time was that I probably left them in the cooker a bit longer. Several times in the past I had pulled them after 3 to 3.5 hours and then, after determining that they weren't quite tender enough, foil-wrapping and tossing them into the oven on a low temperature to finish. So I figured they probably needed somewhere between 4 and 4.5 hours in the PBC to achieve the right degree of tenderness.

I think it was at about the 4-hour mark that I first checked on them and the first rack had already fallen. (By the looks of it, it had been down there for awhile). I rescued it and brought it inside to see how much edible meat I could salvage from it while intending to leave the other rack in the cooker for about another half hour. When I returned to get the second rack, it too had fallen into the coals.

So has anyone else had similar experiences when leaving ribs in the PBC 4+ hours? I'm trying to think of measures I can take to avoid this in the future. I've seen others split their racks into two half-sized racks, which could be one solution, although if I'm wanting to cook a lot of meat at one time, this wouldn't be the best option. Would leaving the membrane on the backside of the ribs intact help hold it together? I'm not sure that peeling it off (as is typically recommended) adds all that much value.

Just looking for some advice from the seasoned PBC vets around here. Thanks in advance.

- Robert -
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline 1Bigg_ER

Re: Pork ribs FAIL
« on: August 19, 2014, 12:52:05 AM »
I cut ribs in half or use two hooks, brisket style.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 01:57:49 AM »
they should have cooked in 2.5 - 3.5 hours.  more than likely 3 hour mark.  everything cooks a lot quicker on a PBC. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:15:41 AM »
Leaving the membrane will help them from falling but no guarantee. I myself don't care for the texture and chewiness of the membrane. You can burn it off searing them on a grill when they are close to done.

2 hooks will help to distribute the weight a bit.

Cutting the racks in half would help for sure.

Just remember the more tender the ribs get the more of a chance the ribs will fall from the hooks. I suggest if you want them really tender to pull them at the 3 hour mark and then foil/finish stacked on the PBC rack or in your home oven.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:16:31 AM »
 Sounds like you like fallin' off the bone cooked ribs. Just cook for 3-3.5 hours and do a bone pull test to see if they are done to your liking. If not, just finish on the grill rack. 4.5 hours is getting close to Beef rib cooking time.

"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
I check them pretty often after 3hrs, and look at the hooks position.  The start to pull up from the bone, when that happens, they come off.  I sauce them and put on the rack to finish.  Most of my ribs go  3.5 to 4 hrs.  I have had them fall off when I went to lift them out before.  So look for the pulling of the hook, its the tell tale sign that its going down.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 05:49:55 PM »
Two things:  One, if you want "falling off the bone" ribs a PBC is only good to start them -- you'll need to finish in the oven.  Two, gravity is a harsh mistress.  Cutting the racks in half will help by cutting down the weight hanging on the hooks (and keep the bottom of the racks from getting burned).  I had a spectacular "fail" about a year ago cooking chicken thigh/leg quarters.  Most fell into the fire and the neighbors, who usually enjoy the aroma of my labors, called to ask what had died in my cookshack  :'(

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline PongGod

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »
they should have cooked in 2.5 - 3.5 hours.  more than likely 3 hour mark.  everything cooks a lot quicker on a PBC.

Hi, Sparky

From my several prior experiences thus far, 3 hours is definitely not long enough to produce ready-to-eat tender ribs. I think the suggestions of either cutting the racks in half or finishing on the grate are the most realistic options.

- Robert -
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline PongGod

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
Leaving the membrane will help them from falling but no guarantee. I myself don't care for the texture and chewiness of the membrane. You can burn it off searing them on a grill when they are close to done.

2 hooks will help to distribute the weight a bit.

Cutting the racks in half would help for sure.

Just remember the more tender the ribs get the more of a chance the ribs will fall from the hooks. I suggest if you want them really tender to pull them at the 3 hour mark and then foil/finish stacked on the PBC rack or in your home oven.

Foil-wrapping and finishing in the oven is something I've done several times with great results, but I was hoping I could just finish them in the PBC this time. I guess that's only realistic if I'm going to split the racks, double-hook them, or utilize the grate during the last hour. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

- Robert -
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 08:41:15 PM »
Can you pop-rivet some brackets for the grate at a lower position?  Then the grate would catch anything that falls and you might be able to salvage more meat.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline grossie

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 10:17:03 PM »
I have not had any fall into the coals, but I have had some stretch so that the bottom couple of ribs are almost sitting on the coals. They generally get too well done when that happens. Unless I'm cooking a whole mess of ribs, I generally cut them in half now and hang each half. I can still get three full racks, just with the hooks that came with the PBC.
PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline PongGod

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 12:39:00 AM »
I have not had any fall into the coals, but I have had some stretch so that the bottom couple of ribs are almost sitting on the coals. They generally get too well done when that happens. Unless I'm cooking a whole mess of ribs, I generally cut them in half now and hang each half. I can still get three full racks, just with the hooks that came with the PBC.

I think I'll probably try doing it this way next time.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline 70monte

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 05:00:01 PM »
I cooked two racks of BB's a couple of weeks ago and they were on the cooker for about 5 hours and didn't fall off.  Mine were definitely not tender but did taste good.  I kept doing the toothpick test between the bones for doneness and the toothpick never slid in like butter like they usually do when I cook them on the WSM.  I did start the cook with both chicken and ribs in together so that may have slowed the ribs down some.  Anyway, everything tasted good.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »
I cooked two racks of BB's a couple of weeks ago and they were on the cooker for about 5 hours and didn't fall off.  Mine were definitely not tender but did taste good.  I kept doing the toothpick test between the bones for doneness and the toothpick never slid in like butter like they usually do when I cook them on the WSM.  I did start the cook with both chicken and ribs in together so that may have slowed the ribs down some.  Anyway, everything tasted good.

Wayne

Chicken has tons of moisture and will drip onto the coals lowering the temperature. That might explain why your ribs were not done after so long.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »
Can you pop-rivet some brackets for the grate at a lower position?  Then the grate would catch anything that falls and you might be able to salvage more meat.

Or placing some fire bricks around the charcoal basket and setting the grate on top of them.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)