Author Topic: Do You Put Wood Chunks in Your PBC?  (Read 8958 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Do You Put Wood Chunks in Your PBC?
« Reply #-1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:58:17 AM »
When cooking on my pellet grill/pit I can't taste the difference in most wood pellet varieties.  I can smell the difference in the smoke but I can't taste the difference in the finished product.  Many pellet pit users have concluded the same.  So I have decided to use just one pellet wood.

I see that some PBC users put baseball to softball-sized wood chunks on top of the charcoal.  So I wonder—

1.  Do you use wood with the charcoal?
2.  What wood/meat combination do you prefer?
3.  Have you done a blind taste test to see if the wood has truly added anything?  (This may be possible if there are two PBCs at the next gathering.)
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Do You Put Wood Chunks in Your PBC?
« on: September 08, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »
IMHO a chunk of wood on a very hot coal bed will most likely cause the wood to combust providing less smoke. Maybe placing the wood chunk next to the coal bed on the bottom will allow it to smolder from the heat.

To me charcoal has a very intense and distinct flavor. Might be difficult to tell the difference because of that reason. I do enjoy the charcoal flavor however I think that if you want to get more of a wood flavor with your PBC you might want to use hardwood briquettes or perhaps lump like Bigg sometimes uses. They will not burn the same as regular Kingsford so adjustments will need to be made.

Or place a stainless steel can in the center of the bed to put the wood chunks in. That way they get hot but not in direct contact with the hot coals.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
I'm wondering is an A-MAZE-N Tube could be placed at the bottom of the PBC in the gap between the charcoal basket and the wall.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
I have tried using wood chunks in the PBC and I prefer not to use any.
Kingsford competition charcoal gives me tasty smoke flavor without additional wood.

As for chicken I go with Ozark oak lump charcoal and  a small chunk of Cherry wood buried at the center where I normally dump the lit coals, when I want that dark color on my chicken.
But even with chicken, 9 times out of 10 I'll go without wood chunk.

Other than that, no wood.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Do You Put Wood Chunks in Your PBC?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »
Yes I use a small chunk of apple wood, and no it does not burn off. Theres not enough air inside for it to burn away. I like the darker color it adds to the food being cooked.

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 03:55:03 PM »
I also add wood chunks.  I use hickory or apple most of the time.  Once in awhile I get some pecan or cherry to toss in.  The chunks burn slow, and add a nice flavor to the meat.  Atleast to me it does. 
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »
I'll occasionally throw in a handful of apple, hickory or oak chips.  I do it early in the cook before the outside of the meat seals up or forms any bark.  As others have mentioned, it may cause a darker color.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline 4cornersmoker

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 04:53:10 PM »
I usually use Kingsford Smokehouse Style Briquettes. They take the high heat.
18.8 Weber one touch, 22.5 Weber Performer,18.5 WSM, Weber go anywhere, smoky joe Bronc smoker, med green egg, & PBC. Hasty Bake 414, The Good One Open Range.

Offline grossie

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:20:28 AM »
Kroger's had a big sale on the Kingsford Hickory and Mesquite charcoal back in the spring. They were almost always sold out, but I kept going back and eventually was able to clean them out of both flavors myself. :-)

I like the results with both, also with just regular Kingsford. I think I'd have to experience them side by side to tell a difference though. I do like the idea of adding some chips to the basket, so I may try that next time.
PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:51:44 PM »
Pay attention next time you add a wood chunk. I have found some chunks left semi burnt after a PBC session. Even buried in coals. That's why I don't bother adding wood.
Now try cooking without, you'll definitely notice a difference.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 07:49:14 AM »
I like the charcoal flavor from my PBC.....I have used wood chips a few times but find that the aroma is stronger than any difference in taste.
To me charcoal cooked foods have a different flavor than those cooked using wood pellets. Like them both but sometimes prefer one vs the other.
So I don't usually bother with wood at all in the PBC.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »
I like the charcoal flavor from my PBC.....I have used wood chips a few times but find that the aroma is stronger than any difference in taste.
To me charcoal cooked foods have a different flavor than those cooked using wood pellets. Like them both but sometimes prefer one vs the other.
So I don't usually bother with wood at all in the PBC.

I was thinking the same thing after I did my first cook in the PBC.  The charcoal flavor of the PBC chicken was delicious by itself.  I'll probably leave well enough alone and use the PBC for charcoal only cooking.  I have plenty of other cookers that I can use with various flavors of wood to use for different tastes.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)