Author Topic: Leg Quarters  (Read 57489 times)

Offline rdsteffey

Leg Quarters
« Reply #-1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:15:25 AM »
I recently smoked some leg quarters for the first time in my smoker. The flavor was great but after a bit the skin became chewy and the meat became dry. I had them brine for about 12 hrs before I smoked them. I want to use this recipe again because the flavor was great. I just want to know any tips on keeping the skin crispy and the meat nice and moist.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Leg Quarters
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:25:48 AM »
Cook at high heat (350+) for crispy skin.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »
In addition to what SB said, higher heat, you can also let the chicken air dry in the fridge for a few hours and rub oil on the skin prior to cooking it.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »
Wet brine is a skin killer unless you air dry the birds after removing from the brine.
High temp + dry skin = crispy skin.

Now I noticed you said meat came off dry. What was the internal temp?

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline rdsteffey

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »
I cooked them to 170 but the heat was at 250. I put them in the smoker the last couple hours or so that I was smoking a boston butt. Thanks for the advice, high heat next time.