Author Topic: Just Wrong on Many Levels  (Read 4022 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Just Wrong on Many Levels
« Reply #-1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:12:40 PM »
OMG my wife wants me to cook one of these. I don't ask for much in life but I do ask for my turkey to be properly stuffed. My fault for being at work and coming home late for ThanksGiving.
Video for youtube frozen stuffed turkey► 0:40► 0:40

Apr 18, 2014 - Uploaded by Butterball Canada
Hi, my husband just bought this last night. I didnt realize it was stuffed and said to cook from ...

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Hub

Re: Just Wrong on Many Levels
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:51:34 AM »
This could only be worse if you microwaved it  ???    Sort of like a TV Dinner on steroids.

If you like food and preparing food -- the artistry and the love involved -- this is an affront to all common sense.

Sorry, but I have a different concept of preparing Thanksgiving feasts. It isn't about convenience.  And, I'll bet my stuffing is a whole lot better than theirs  ::)

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:28:44 AM »
Yes you are 100% right .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:58:10 AM »
I'd eat it.  :P
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
Sorry, but I have a different concept of preparing Thanksgiving feasts. It isn't about convenience.  And, I'll bet my stuffing is a whole lot better than theirs  ::)

Hub

Stuffing is always passed to me last at the table because it does not go any farther.

I would like to hear more about your stuffing reciepe
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:46:07 AM »
I don't stuff a turkey until it is almost finished because in order to make the stuffing safe to eat you got to overcook the bird. Stuffing is chock full of moisture and a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. By the time the stuffing gets to a safe temperature the bird is dry.

Is it really that difficult to pull out the bird 15 minutes before it is done and add the stuffing into the cavity? Have we become that lazy?

And as Hub stated more than likely your stuffing will taste much better.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Just Wrong on Many Levels
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
Thanksgiving to me is old school. No boxed taters, stuffing, or gravy. I like the tradition, and the Labor of love in nailing the most challenging meal of the year.

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »
Thanksgiving to me is old school. No boxed taters, stuffing, or gravy. I like the tradition, and the Labor of love in nailing the most challenging meal of the year.

I'm with you on this one.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 04:13:46 PM »
I don't stuff a turkey until it is almost finished because in order to make the stuffing safe to eat you got to overcook the bird. Stuffing is chock full of moisture and a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. By the time the stuffing gets to a safe temperature the bird is dry.

Is it really that difficult to pull out the bird 15 minutes before it is done and add the stuffing into the cavity? Have we become that lazy?

And as Hub stated more than likely your stuffing will taste much better.

What he said. We normally just cook the turkey and then have a whole separate dish with all the dressing (what would have been the stuffing).
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »

Stuffing is always passed to me last at the table because it does not go any farther.

Oh Yes!  To me the whole Thanksgiving meal is just an excuse to dive into a big plate of stuffing and gravy  :)  I take small samples of all the other things, but just to be nice and get a "balanced" diet  ;)

My stuffing recipe is a combination of a bread and herbs based approach plus a cornbread approach.  No fruit.  It combines the U.S. "southern" style with a more northern or Midwestern style.  It comes out slightly moist but with plenty of room left to hold a big ladle of gravy dumped over a serving.  I learned it from my mother and my Yankee (Mainer) wife tolerates it well.  If you're still interested let me know and I'll write it up for the recipe section.

Hub 
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 08:59:11 AM »

Oh Yes!  To me the whole Thanksgiving meal is just an excuse to dive into a big plate of stuffing and gravy  :)  I take small samples of all the other things, but just to be nice and get a "balanced" diet  ;)

My stuffing recipe is a combination of a bread and herbs based approach plus a cornbread approach.  No fruit.  It combines the U.S. "southern" style with a more northern or Midwestern style.  It comes out slightly moist but with plenty of room left to hold a big ladle of gravy dumped over a serving.  I learned it from my mother and my Yankee (Mainer) wife tolerates it well.  If you're still interested let me know and I'll write it up for the recipe section.

Hub

YES!!!  Please do. ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 09:15:22 AM »
I have to make 2 kinds of dressing as we call it here in Ohio..Regular and oyster (yuck, but my guys like it). Lots fo sides and lots of desserts. Take me 2 days to make all this stuffs.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »
I guess that pre-stuffed turkey is OK if you really don't know, and don't want to learn how to cook. But dang, making everything yourself is half the joy of the Thanksgiving meal... to me at least!

We normally just cook the turkey and then have a whole separate dish with all the dressing (what would have been the stuffing).

Same here. In fact I don't usually put the dressing in the oven/grill until the turkey is done and has been pulled out to rest.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »

YES!!!  Please do. ;)

Posted in "Veggies/Side Dishes" section.

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »

YES!!!  Please do. ;)

Posted in "Veggies/Side Dishes" section.

Hub

Got it.....THANKS!!! ;)
----------------------