Author Topic: RouxBDoos Cajun Stewed Chicken  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
RouxBDoos Cajun Stewed Chicken
« Reply #-1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:51:42 AM »
Nov 09 2014

I have had this recipe saved for a long time wanting to try it. It is true comfort food best enjoyed in cool weather and it is time now. RouxBDoo is a food critique and blog writer and has some great recipes at RouxBDoos Cajun and Creole Food Blog, Nola Cuisine and New Orleans Cuisine.

I had a recipe from Food52 that would go good with the chicken, Cornmeal Flatbread. It called for using Manchego cheese in it and on top. I could not find Manchego or Asiago locally so I used some 4 cheese Mexican blend instead. Mine did not turn out that great, it looked good but was more like baked mush or polenta. I didn’t get it cooked down thick enough and I had it too thick to bake right. It did taste good though.

If you want to try cornmeal flatbread just search on it and there are plenty of different ones to choose from. Mine was mainly just milk and cornbread cooked and supposed to be ¼ inch thick. Some have flour added and baking powder or yeast.

I followed RouxBDoos recipe for the chicken pretty close, for the seasoning I only used 1 Tbs. of Cajun seasoning and no cayenne, dried garlic flakes some onion flakes, a little heavy on the Italian seasoning blend and black pepper. I only had time for the chicken to be seasoned and in the fridge for an hour instead of two. I used chicken stock in place of the water and chicken bouillon cube. I browned the chicken and left out of the pot, removed some of the grease, sautéed the onions and garlic then added a little stock to deglaze the pan then the chicken went back in with all else.

After the chicken had been in the oven I set it on a burner and let it simmer while I made some mashed potatoes with a half stick of butter and a little buttermilk to thin some. I nuked some frozen buttered Brussels sprouts for a side. I skimmed off some of the fat before serving; it had plenty in with the oil and butter I fried the chicken in and the fat from the chicken skin.

I had the chicken on the side and some of the broth over mashed potatoes, the sprouts and the cornmeal flat bread. The chicken was fall apart tender and delicious as well as great broth. I will be making this again but may opt to take more time and remove the chicken when done, pour the fat off the broth and make good gravy. I may even debone the chicken to add back in. I don’t think many would eat the skin anyway.

My supper

Smokin Don

Recipe

Cajun stewed chicken

Ingredients

5 lbs Chicken pieces
1 med onion (diced)
2 tbs minced garlic
6 green onions (white part diced, green part whole)
1 chicken stock cube
3 cups water
2-3 tbs oil
2 tbs butter
2 cups AP flour
2 bay leaves
2 tbs Tony Chachere's
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tsp each salt and black pepper
1/2 tsp Italian herb mix
1/4 tsp cayenne

Directions
Combine all herbs and spices (last 5 ingredients) and coat all pieces of chicken.  Make sure all the sides are covered.  Place in plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  After marinating, remove chicken from bag and roll in flour making sure each piece gets a good coating.  I let the chicken just lay covered up with flour while heating the oil and butter, on MED HI, in a large oven friendly pot of cast iron dutch oven with a lid.

When oil is good and hot, place the chicken in the pot and brown chicken pieces all over.  after 10 - 15 mins., add your onion and garlic.  Cook another 10 mins until the onions are cooked down.  Dissolve the chicken cube in the water and pour water over the chicken. Stir all chicken pieces until all are neatly covered by the water.  Bring to a boil for 5 mins and turn heat down to MED.  Cook for 15 mins with a lid on, then add all the green onions.  Give the chicken a good stir, place the lid back on and transfer the pot to an oven at 250 degs.

Enjoy the tenderest Chicken ever
I let my chicken go for about 2 hours in the oven, that's what make it "fallin'-off-the-bone" tender.  I like to serve this with rice, mashed potatoes, or good ol' buttermilk biscuits.  You really need to give this dish a try.

Enjoy!

RouxBDoo

Smokin Don, changes I made were I used chicken stock, 1 Tbs. of Penzey’s Cajun seasoning, dried garlic flakes and onion flakes, a little heavy on the Italian herb mix and omitted the cayenne. I also left the chicken out after browning then added the onions and garlic, sautéed a while then deglazed the pan with a little stock and then placed the chicken back in and followed the recipe.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

Re: RouxBDoos Cajun Stewed Chicken
« on: November 10, 2014, 01:59:44 AM »
That looks delicious, Don!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:36:04 AM »
I would even eat some of those green things if it was a condition to get the entree.  ;D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 06:45:17 AM »
Looks like a fantastically delicious meal Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
SD, that looks delicious.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »
That looks great Don! Would sure hit the spot with this cooler weather.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »
Fantastic!

Leave it to dem Cajuns to teach a fried chicken to swim! :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 09:58:37 AM »
Wow! Great looking recipe Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »
Fantastic!

It's really easy, Cajun chickens have webbed feet. :P :P :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
Great looking plate, Don!  Bookmarked.  I need to give this one a go.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
Fantastic!

How did you get that far away from home? Some body "make you deal" on the world's largest sand box? :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 05:01:45 PM »
Fantastic!

How did you get that far away from home? Some body "make you deal" on the world's largest sand box? :D :D :D

Gummit offered me a really good paying job out here, couldn't refuse it. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)