Author Topic: Turkey Day At Art's House  (Read 4108 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Turkey Day At Art's House
« Reply #-1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »
Well, I think I survived Thanksgiving 2014.  At one point I wasn’t sure it was worth all the hassle.  I cooked all but one side dish and two desserts.  I was not able to take all the pictures I had planned.  The pressure was on for me to “put the groceries on the table, now!” 

I had originally planned on spatchcocking my 12.5 pound fresh bird and cooking it on my PBC.  I did spatchcock the bird, but found that I didn’t have a good pan setup to collect the drippings on the PBC.  Not a problem.  The Weber was my backup plan.  I injected the spatchcocked bird with some Provence Herb infused EVOO.  Nice, not in your face, EVOO.  I did give the outside of the bird a nice “dusting” of Savor Spice, however.  The bird did cook in about 90 minutes.  Really nice color.  After letting it rest for about 25 minutes, I carved the bird into medallions, just like the video that was posted here earlier.  That is the only way to go, IMHO.  The meat was moist and the skin just outstanding.  Here is the carved bird on the platter.

I did try another version of Thanksgiving turkey.  After seeing Terry’s post about doing a low country-style boil, I decided I need to give it a try.  I had a turkey boulder in the freezer, so I figured “what the heck, let’s give it a try”.  I added some Conecuh sausage and a couple of garlic bulbs like Terry did at the Fall Gathering.  As spicy as the boil itself appeared (it caused everyone in the kitchen to cough from the vapors) the actual turkey was quite tasty and not too spicy.  The sausage was really tasty, too.  The boiled garlic bulbs were off the charts.  I saved what was left of them and plan to spread them on some sour dough bread.  Would I boil another turkey?  YES!!  I might limit myself to doing several boulders at once, however.  Not everyone likes the “spicy smell” of a boil.  Here is the other platter ready to be eaten.

The next picture is the green bean bake.

This next picture is a sweet potato casserole with pecan topping.  I normally don’t care for sweet potatoes.  I was making this for the people who were invited to dinner.  However, I may have discovered a recipe that I can enjoy.  I will post the recipe separately.

My favorite stuffing is my Mother’s recipe.  It is basically a savory stuffing with a lot of green olives in it.  I will post this one later also.

The next picture is my version of Hub’s Anytime Stuffing.  I actually made it per Hub’s recipe, but split the stuffing into two batches and added some Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage to one batch.  In case you are counting, I did make three different stuffings for today.  Hub’s recipe is very good.  I liked the combination of the two types of bread stuffing.  The cumin came through in a very positive manner.  It was not over powering.  It complemented the stuffing.  The JD Sage sausage really added to the stuffing.

For dessert my neighbor made two pies.  A pumpkin pie and a chocolate chip pecan pie.  They were both wonderful.  No recipes to share here.  Here are the pictures of them.

I did make a Buttermilk Custard Pie.  I found this recipe link while I was looking at Terry’s turkey boil post.  It turned out really good, also.  I’ll post this recipe later.

All-in-all, the meal turned out great.  Everyone had at least seconds.  I am glad T-Day is over.  On to the leftovers!!  I did make some cranberry relish for today.  Basic recipe with fresh cranberries, sugar and oranges.  I kicked it up a notch this year.  I usually add some tequila to the mix, but this year I added an orange liqueur.  This was by far my best combination to date.  It will go well with a turkey sandwich.

I have a busy week coming up.  We are having a Christmas Party next Friday evening.  The main menu will include my elk chili, a few dozen (as in 10 dozen) Moinks and three kinds of chocolate ganache dessert cups.  Adult beverages will be served.  Tim will be here to serve as my “grill coordinator”.  That means he will be cooking the Moinks.  His lovely wife will get to relax and “party down”!!

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Turkey Day At Art's House
« on: November 27, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
Nice spread, Art! 

I do a mashed sweet potato dish with a pecan topping too.   Never had green olives in stuffing before. It looks really good. I need to try that sometime.

I was hoping to get some pics of our feast, but we had a mishap which threw our dinner behind schedule, so we were rushed getting my wife and daughter's boyfriend both fed, because they both had to be to work by 2:00.  :(
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:33:58 PM »
I had a bit of a mishap myself today.  I think my oven started heading "SOUTH".  It really messed with my timing.  I am afraid that it is going to be expensive.  My wife hasn't liked the oven since it was installed.  I ended up using my MAK to bake the stuffing.  Thank goodness that was working.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 09:52:42 PM »
All looks good.  A slight hiccup here today--turkey on the grill--injected with butter/poultry seasoning/thyme/ground sage/Lowrey's seasoned salt, garlic powder mix.   Nice n moist, BUT, had a hard time keep the grill up to 300, much less 325.   Took bout an hour longer than it normally does.   Ok by me, BUT, some people had a little too much Kikapoo Joy Juice by the time we got it all served.  The oven roasted green beans a little bit done, too, cause of the wait.   

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »
It all looks great Art And yes, of course you can save me a piece of your Mom's green olive stuffing! :D Will see you next Fri.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:03:37 PM »
Great looking spread Art. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 10:09:49 PM »
Great looking spread Art.

Thanks Terry. 
That boiled turkey is a keeper!  It was amazing!  I tasted the boil before adding the sausage, girl;ic and turkey breast.  I WAS sure I wouldn't like it.  Too spicy!  Was I wrong!!!  Turned out to be right on the money!!  I am sure glad I didn't add any cayenne pepper!!

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »
looks like you have enough for me?   ;) it looks super yummy. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 10:23:54 PM »
looks like you have enough for me?   ;) it looks super yummy.

Let me say this, Sparky, you would have loved the food.  And the adult beverages, too!!

How was your day, buddy?  Besides the Seahawks.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 10:34:29 PM »
Great looking meal, nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:59:24 PM »
Looks better then the spread we had here.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 02:58:01 AM »
That's the way to do it Art!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 04:15:34 AM »
I'm in Awe, fantastic is just not good enough ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RAD

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 07:42:21 AM »
everything looks great.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 10:08:53 AM »
WTG Art..ya did real good..hungry again.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron