Author Topic: Dry Brine Question  (Read 2232 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Dry Brine Question
« Reply #-1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:09:13 PM »
When doing a dry brine for chicken, should i just use salt or will the salt in the rub achieve the same goal?  I plan on doing some PBC chickens this weekend while the better half is at her bridal shower. 

2 rubs, both posted earlier today. Salt pepper garlic powder; salt pepper garlic powder chili powder, paprika, re pepper flakes, dry mustard, cayenne powder, and a secret warmth flavor.  Thanks pictures will be up next week.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline 1Bigg_ER

Re: Dry Brine Question
« on: January 20, 2015, 02:39:39 PM »
Is salt the first ingredient on the list of ingredients in the rub? If it is then it should do the trick. If not, use it on an egg, see how salty it gets then adjust from there.

Dry brine I use a teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of bird.
Tricky situation, I avoid presalted rubs like a plague.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline akruckus

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:46:32 PM »
I make my own, so yes salt is the most abundant ingredient.  I'm afraid if i just dry brine then add my homemade rubs it will be too salty.

Side note Bigg, you were the man I'd hope answer because I saw you use a dry bring on a bird for you PBC, then season with herbs and oil before hanging the meat.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:17:56 PM »
Ingredients are listed by most to least content so when salt is the first ingredient it is the dominate one like Bigg says. I also try to avoid rubs like that.

I think that TendaRub is the exception. The first ingredient might be kerosene :o
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »
If you make your own I'd advise you to make a small saltless batch. Then dry brine your bird and then apply your rub before cooking.
Trick I do with rubs/ herbs is to make a paste with a warm fat of choice. Let them steep for about 15 minutes then rub that bird all over. The warm fat opens up the spices /herbs.

FYI, do not rinse the bird after dry brining.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline akruckus

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 04:08:35 AM »
Thank you guys.  looks like I have some experimentation to do.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
Thanks y'all for the great info I'll have to try that on my next batch of PBC chicken. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline akruckus

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »
I did one half with just salt and the other half with salt pepper and garlic powder, both sat uncovered in fridge for 28 hours before cooking.

After cooked, I the one that I dry brined wasn't any saltier then the one with just my rub on it.  The dry brined chicken(darker bird) did finish about 15 minutes before the rub only bird. 75, 90 minutes on cook time.  Both rebars in, standard KBB with two chunks of pecan and at about 300ft above sea level 1/4 opening on vent. PBC keeps the bird so moist she questions if it is fully cooked or not, but she did grow up with her dad using the burn and turn technique to produce dry blackened chicken.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »
Very nice looking chicken. I got the same questions when I started making chicken on the PBC - had to prove it was done with my Thermopen. Now they understand that chicken doesn't have to taste bad to be safe. Good comparison of dry brines / rubs. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
Next time try without the wood chunks, the skin will come out even crispier.
Contrary to what most folks believe, smoke does not penetrate meat, that's why 99.9% of every smoked chicken has a lousy skin.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:07 PM »
Looks great! Removing one rebar really works good for me. Bumps up the temp a bit. I like the higher temp when making PBC chicken!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline viscera912

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
i dry brined for the first time last week on some chicken drum's.  i used kosher salt using bigg's formula but i also used PBC all purpose rub which has salt in it.  thus i just guessed/eyeballed less salt because i was going to use the all purpose rub.  it came out pretty good.  the science of the dry rub works as it did dry out the skin.  i think it helped crisp it up along with the higher heat like bigg says.  the skin was better on my first batch of drums than the second one.  i was running about 350's using kings blue and by the time second batch went in i was between 290 and 305.  im contemplating just using lump for anything chicken related and using kingsford for all else. 

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 03:00:56 PM »
That's a good call on the lump coals Viscera
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum