Author Topic: Super Bowl Wings Taste Test  (Read 3539 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Super Bowl Wings Taste Test
« Reply #-1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:19:33 AM »
The whole week leading up to the Super Bowl I had been planning to use the Turkey Fryer I got for Christmas, that all changed on Thursday night when I tweaked my back trying to get off the couch after falling asleep on it.  I didn't want to have to go up and down steps or lift anything heavy to make sure it wouldn't affect (effect??) me at work on Monday so it gave me an opportunity to try some different baked wing recipes to see which one was better.  First up was Alton Brown's wing recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/alton-browns-buffalo-wings-recipe.html my college roommate made them one time and said they were the best he has ever had, even at wing spots.  The other was from the place I found the "crack" bread recipe, http://www.recipetineats.com/truly-crispy-oven-baked-buffalo-wings-my-wings-cookbook/

To keep everything equal, I lightly dusted them with some kosher salt and let them hang out in the fridge for about 36 hours, then when ready for prepping I took equal parts drummie and double bones as I call them, 2lbs for each recipe.First up was Alton Brown's which required some steaming for 10 minutes, I would guess the lower temperature would help render the fat out.

Then an hour rest period in the fridge to chill.  I let them cool on the table for about 10 minutes before putting them in the fridge for an hour.

Meanwhile the other wings went into a ziplock with a tablespoon of baking powder, yes baking powder (Aluminum free is what I used), and since I dry brined I omitted the salt it said to add too. I shook the bag to evenly coat, put them in the oven at 250F on the bottom rack for 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes was up, I moved them to the top rack and jacked the temperature to 425F.  Once the temperature hit 425F in the oven I also put in my Alton Brown style wings. 

20 minutes into the cook, I spun the top rack wings, they don't require flipping, and I flipped the Alton Brown wings. I let them ride for another 20 minutes, then pulled the top rack wings coated most of them in Frank's Buffalo Wing sauce, and a couple in a Jerk sauce I made up (Sweet Lou's Jamaican Jerk, lime juice, olive oil, ponzo with lime, and a dash of sesame oil).  After saucing the first batch I pulled Alton Brown's wings and did the same saucing grouping to keep everything equal, in a true taste test. I kept the bowls color coordinated so we could tell which was which.

Alton Brown Wings: Hot sauce

Alton Brown Wings: Jerk Sauce

Baking Powder Wings: Hot sauce

Baking Powder Wings: Jerk Sauce

The winner was the baking powder wings.  They were crispy just like fried wings.  Alton Brown's were very good, tender, and lightly crisp, but not as crispy as the other recipe.  One thing that might have affected the Alton Brown wings were the fact that the other wings were on the top which may have created some steaming while baking at the higher temperature not allowing them to be as crispy.  I would definitely do both recipes again.  Jerk sauce would have been better if I could use fresh hot peppers, it was missing something, but in a pinch with last minute decision to make that sauce it worked in a pinch.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Super Bowl Wings Taste Test
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:38:30 AM »
They look great.  I must remember the baking powder trick the next time I need to do some wings in the oven or one my Mak.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:52:10 AM »
Nice test! And - the wings all look god. But, i appreciate your posting this because - we all look for ways to eat what we crave - and feel a little better about it ;) or even the motivation is to avoid the mess created by traditional frying...so the "oven fried" methods are always interesting to me.

I have combined flour + corn starch as a dredge for frying chicken....wonder if that may work like the baking powder?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:11:36 AM »
Sometimes you just have to wing it ??? ??? ??? ???  Hope the back feels better
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline akruckus

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
They look great.  I must remember the baking powder trick the next time I need to do some wings in the oven or one my Mak.

Art

I was thinking about trying to use the gasser instead of the oven, of course now that I know this recipe works, and when it gets a little warmer.

Nice test! And - the wings all look god. But, i appreciate your posting this because - we all look for ways to eat what we crave - and feel a little better about it ;) or even the motivation is to avoid the mess created by traditional frying...so the "oven fried" methods are always interesting to me.

I have combined flour + corn starch as a dredge for frying chicken....wonder if that may work like the baking powder?

I am not sure, but I was thinking the same thing.  I would think it has to do something is the fat rendering and baking powder activating when heated?
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline akruckus

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »
Sometimes you just have to wing it ??? ??? ??? ???  Hope the back feels better

Back is at 99%, leave it to me to hurt myself on the couch and not when I was shoveling 2 feet of snow :P
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:29:06 AM »
Nice test!

My thoughts are that the baking powder draws the moisture and fat from the skin. Then the moisture is evaporated and the fat is hot air fried. I love my wings crispy and might have to give that a try next time.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 09:30:36 AM »
Test or no test those look  goooooood!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:46:57 AM »
Great test AK!!! I would vote for bacon powder and hot sauce from the looks! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 10:53:16 AM »
I don't like to deep fry and found out years ago that baking powder is killer for crisping fatty skin in the oven. I use it for wings (using an old recipe from serious eats) and several pork belly recipes.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »

Art

I was thinking about trying to use the gasser instead of the oven, of course now that I know this recipe works, and when it gets a little warmer.

I am not sure, but I was thinking the same thing.  I would think it has to do something is the fat rendering and baking powder activating when heated?

Nice test!

My thoughts are that the baking powder draws the moisture and fat from the skin. Then the moisture is evaporated and the fat is hot air fried. I love my wings crispy and might have to give that a try next time.

I am thinking that the combination of the refrigeration - which moves very dry air over the surface of the chicken and dehydrates available moisture in the surface/skin of the chicken, and that addition to an "adsorbent" works to aid this process as an accelerant. Not be "anti Alton" - but I think that the steaming only serves to displace oligomeric compounds (oils, fats and pre-triglycerides) forcing them to the surface of the skin. Thus, a less desirable, less crisp finish on the skin.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 01:04:18 PM »
I don't like to deep fry and found out years ago that baking powder is killer for crisping fatty skin in the oven. I use it for wings (using an old recipe from serious eats) and several pork belly recipes.
Your recipe from serious eats is spot on for me..Love Frank's hot sauce and butter, it's all I use up here.  ☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 03:56:55 PM »
I'm thinking you could even season the baking powder with a rub to get a nice crispy skin with a little extra kick to it.

I'm also a big fan of Frank's & butter.  I coat the wings and then pop 'em back on the grill to bake that flavor in and keep my hands a little cleaner ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
Nice test AK! Despite the two winners....the two losers don't look too bad either! Good eating either way! :D