Author Topic: Tommy Ring / Spring Form pan question  (Read 1001 times)

Offline jcmiggs

Tommy Ring / Spring Form pan question
« Reply #-1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »
New to the forum and awaiting delivery of my BE SRG.  Question regarding the use of a prop ring and pellets or chips in the bottom of the unit.  By using pellets or chips between the walls of the heat chamber and the ring, is there any risk (or accelerated risk) of burning out the bottom of the chamber?  Again, have not even received my SRG yet, just a curiosity question as I would like to maximize smoke production.

thanks in advance

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Tommy Ring / Spring Form pan question
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:22:33 PM »
New to the forum and awaiting delivery of my BE SRG.  Question regarding the use of a prop ring and pellets or chips in the bottom of the unit.  By using pellets or chips between the walls of the heat chamber and the ring, is there any risk (or accelerated risk) of burning out the bottom of the chamber?  Again, have not even received my SRG yet, just a curiosity question as I would like to maximize smoke production.

thanks in advance
Not really, been using my rings almost since day one (summer of 2008) in my first Big Easy and never had a chamber burn out due to my ring.   ONLY chamber I ever repaired was in my very first pre-production SRG which went through H*ll  because of all the things I cooked in it over the years.   All I had to do was re-weld the bottom back on and I'n still using that chamber.  Matter a fact I cooked my 139th butt Sunday with that unit.  The newer SRG's are welded all the way around the seam where my first SRG only welded in eight spots, this was the problem because grease and carbon built up in the seam causing a failure reason the next generation were welded all around the seam.

Now, that being said the new units have a smoker box where mine don't so you will get good smoke out of it but you may have to pull the box out every now and then and shake it to keep it going or drill holes so it will breath better.

If you are going to us a Tommy Ring start your run of pellets/chips at the 5 o'clock position,  this is just to the right of the controls on the front and it is the hottest spot in an SRG or Big Easy.  You can find it easily  by locating the beginning of the flame coming out of the flame tube (again right of controls)

Hope this helps

Tommy       
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION