Author Topic: Turkey Brine- Bon Appetit recipe  (Read 9586 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Turkey Brine- Bon Appetit recipe
« Reply #-1 on: November 22, 2021, 03:34:06 PM »
Last time I made a Thanksgiving turkey (2 years ago) I used a great recipe from Bon Appetit.  They called for breaking down the turkey and cooking it in 8 pieces, however we just fried it.  It had great flavor reviews, better than any Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey we've made in the past and I wanted to share it with everyone if you are looking for a simple "rub"

12-14 lb Bird (we do 16lber and had enough left over for another bird)

2 Tbsp Black peppercorns (ground)
2 Tbsp Pink Peppercorns (ground)
( I just used 4 Tbsp mixed peppercorns)
heavy 1/4 cup Mortons Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Onion Power
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 Tbspn smoked paprika (used regular)

Rub it up and let it sit in the fridge for 24-48 hours then cook it up!  Hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving, and stays safe.  Take care
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline zipp12

• got Q?
Re: Turkey Brine- Bon Appetit recipe
« on: November 22, 2021, 03:39:42 PM »
We use the Alton Brown turkey brine.  The family request it every year.....
Lang 36
Webber 22
UDS

Offline zueth

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 11:29:40 PM »
First one sounds like a rub, not a brine. Alton’s brown brine is good, I have done about 4-5 different bribes and not sure if any of them made the flavor or bird that much better than another. All were good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 03:28:23 PM »
First one sounds like a rub, not a brine.

I probably shouldn't even post since SWMBO is spending the week with her daughter's family (read "grandchildren") on the mainland and I'm home alone, so to speak. I'm replacing the traditional turkey, dressing, and gravy this year with ribs, Cowboy beans, coleslaw, and the Saints game.

Anyway, with the salt and "curing time" I'd call it a "dry brine." I'm not all that fond of soaking a turkey (I think it negatively affects the texture, especially of the white meat) and, several years ago, went to dry brines similar to the one described and have had consistently great results.

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline zipp12

• got Q?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 03:50:23 PM »
I did the Naturiffic Harvest Brine and its good, but family says Alton Brown
Lang 36
Webber 22
UDS

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 10:10:16 PM »

I probably shouldn't even post since SWMBO is spending the week with her daughter's family (read "grandchildren") on the mainland and I'm home alone, so to speak. I'm replacing the traditional turkey, dressing, and gravy this year with ribs, Cowboy beans, coleslaw, and the Saints game.

The Turtle is home alone without SWMBO's supervision? What could possibly go wrong?

Offline stalag

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 10:19:26 PM »

The Turtle is home alone without SWMBO's supervision? What could possibly go wrong?

I hear wild parties might ensue!
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 12:29:11 AM »
I hear wild parties might ensue!

They've already started but unfortunately my definition of "wild party" has changed over the years. Nowadays it qualifies if I have a drink and can stay awake long enough to remember what I think I did back then.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline zueth

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 11:58:17 AM »
First one sounds like a rub, not a brine.

Anyway, with the salt and "curing time" I'd call it a "dry brine." I'm not all that fond of soaking a turkey (I think it negatively affects the texture, especially of the white meat) and, several years ago, went to dry brines similar to the one described and have had consistently great results.

Jus' sayin'...

Interesting, makes sense, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 03:21:38 PM »
Anyway, with the salt and "curing time" I'd call it a "dry brine."

Yep.  Commonly called a dry brine.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas