Author Topic: Computer virus, spamm, and other destructive material  (Read 16263 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Computer virus, spamm, and other destructive material
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »
Thanks for the accolades guys - but the truth is, I and your other Admins were tired of the spam, and "attitude" issues on other forums. We just believed that a true user driven site would work much better. It does require a fully manual approval process, and the applicant's information must pass thru 3 international databases and come out as "clean" - meaning no spam generation, or history of their I.P. addresses/e-mail etc have been used for  generating "junk" or associated in any way with data mining or hacking.
This is an extra pain for new members and - that means we will not grow as fast as some sites.

But we want to focus on building this place, not on number of members but on quality of posts. Input of data that is useful, great recipes and advice.

And - a lot of humor along the way to entertain, and keep us from taking things too seriously ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Computer virus, spamm, and other destructive material
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
Thanks for the accolades guys - but the truth is, I and your other Admins were tired of the spam, and "attitude" issues on other forums. We just believed that a true user driven site would work much better. It does require a fully manual approval process, and the applicant's information must pass thru 3 international databases and come out as "clean" - meaning no spam generation, or history of their I.P. addresses/e-mail etc have been used for  generating "junk" or associated in any way with data mining or hacking.
This is an extra pain for new members and - that means we will not grow as fast as some sites.

But we want to focus on building this place, not on number of members but on quality of posts. Input of data that is useful, great recipes and advice.

And - a lot of humor along the way to entertain, and keep us from taking things too seriously ;) ;D

OK, that whole first paragraph is over my head. Whatever it is it works. I still like that even though this site has corporate sponsors it is still focused on the users and not any specific products. You have a great line of products but you don't "push" them here. We have a lot of other great sponsors who let the forum users talk about their products instead of talking that much about them themselves. I like that unlike some other forums if a member has a bad experience with a product they tend to work it out with the vendor instead of coming on here and trashing them. What we get mostly is good reports of how a vendor dealt with a snag and made their customer happy. I don't post that much anymore other than to compliment someone on their great looking food, but coming in here everyday is my break from the things that go on in real life. I can be having a really bad day and come here and it all goes away for a while. I still cook a little but don't have time to take the pictures and share them. I will try and remedy that in the New Year.

Just my 2 cents which is worth less than a penny these days.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware