Author Topic: Whole chicken on the MAK  (Read 3426 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Re: Whole chicken on the MAK
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »
Great looking chicken Kat!

To get crispier skin finish the chicken at a higher temp and let them sit in the fridge to air dry for a few hours after applying the rub.

Thank you for the tips, guys!!   Will give that a shot next time with drying them out a bit, and crank the temp up to 425 instead. 

James is already eyeballing our hens-- I better get the freezer loaded up before my egg laying population starts disappearing!  :) 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 04:37:09 PM »
Looks really good Kat.. try rubbing some mayo on the skin with the rub, I find it works well getting the skin crispy.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »
The chicken looks great, nice color on the skin.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 06:57:13 AM »
Very nice cook.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »
Nice Yardbirds!  :P   :P 
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »
Holy wowzers, folks, I finally got a chance to do a second whole chicken on the pellet grill, and followed some of your suggestions-- drying it out in the fridge for awhile, and upping the heat to 425 (no mayo, sorry Scally... James was watching, and he has a weird relationship with mayo.) 

Dried the bird off really good with paper towels and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour (resting on some more dry paper towels), then put a light coating of olive oil and sprinkled rub all over, and popped it back in the fridge for another half hour or so.  Threw it on the grill at 425, and before we knew it, 165 IT, and it was dinner time!

We cooked up a little asparagus in butter, then added a few glugs of balsamic vinegar and let that reduce down till the asparagus was just tender.  (I can't remember which of you fine folks suggested that for veggies, but that was a HIT with James, thank you!) 

We tucked in, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven!  I accidentally got the skin just a teensy bit too dark in a couple places (I couldn't locate my vertical roaster, and didn't turn the bird at all, which probably would have helped),  but OH MY LORD was that skin phenomenal!!!  Heck, the whole bird was just beyond delicious!

I typically don't care at all for breast meat because it's just too dry, but that crunchy crispy skin must have held in some extra magic, because daaaayyymn that was juicy breast meat.   

Not the prettiest of pictures, but I had a hard enough time holding James (and myself) off long enough to snap a quick pic! 

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your advice and tips-- that was by far the best chicken I have ever made!  Which is really, really timely, because I have 50 one-day-old meat chickens arriving on Saturday, and James had begun to second guess his usually unwavering faith in my sanity!!   This one was just a plain old store bought in the bag type, so we cannot WAIT to try with one of our home grown ones. 

Ya'll have elevated mere chicken to a new status at my house! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/