Author Topic: MEATloaf  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Hub

MEATloaf
« Reply #-1 on: March 25, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »
Seems like every time I've popped into LTBBQ over the last few days there's been yet another great looking meatloaf.  Most of the posts have even had GRAVY and that always gets my attention  ;D

Fact is, I don't recall ever meeting a meatloaf I didn't like.  It's way, way up there on my list of favorite comfort foods and I'll bet I make one at least once a month.  So, to add to the current meatloaf glut, here's what has become my favorite one to make.  It's super, super easy, too.

Ingredients:

1 lb. 90% lean ground beef
1 lb. hot ground sausage (I use a regional brand called Neese's)
1 Pkg. Lipton onion soup mix

That's it!  No bread crumbs, no eggs, no diced veggies, no soup, no extra seasoning.  No, it won't be hot and spicy -- the cooking and the beef take the heat out of the sausage.  In fact, if you use mild sausage you'll mess it up.  Trust me.  Also, it doesn't need egg and bread to bind and stay together.  It'll cook up nice and firm and won't be crumbly or fall apart.  Trust me.  Look at the title:  MEATloaf.   This is a dish for the carnivorous.

Preparation:

Just throw everything in a bowl and mix it all up with your hands.  It will be a little messy but I've found the best way to mix together all that meat and the minimal other stuff is with my own two mitts.  Spoons and such are a waste of time.  Besides, there's something primal about getting up close and personal with the groceries.  Kind of macho and cave man. 

Once mixed, form into a loaf about three inches thick.  Make it square or round to suit your own sense of the esthetic.  There are no style points here.

Cooking:

Put the mixed meat on a rack in a shallow pan and bake at 350 until the IT hits 150 or so.  If you don't have an insertable thermometer just poke the thing with a skewer or a pencil or something and if the juice runs out clear, you're golden.  In my convection oven this usually takes around an hour plus or minus a scrunch.  In my pellet cookers it sometimes cooks a little quicker.

Serving:

It'll slice right up, neatly and cleanly with a serrated knife.  There won't be much grease, either.  The lean ground beef and good quality sausage don't generate much grease.  You can paint the sucker with ketchup or tomato soup if you want to, but I like to keep it simpler.  A big spatula is handy to lift it off the rack onto a plate or cutting board for carving.

Eating:  I make a mess of my quick to fix mushroom gravy (see my gravy article here) to go with this.  And, I most often side it with mashed potatoes or a baked spud.  After all, we aren't talking pretense here, we're talking MEAT.  Meat and potatoes is what's for supper.  Man food.  Not quiche or sprouts or tofu.  MEAT

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: MEATloaf
« on: March 25, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »
You got my attention!!  Love meatloaf.  I also serve mushroom gravy with mine.  I love the leftovers.  Really love a nice meatloaf sammie!!  I usually just put ketchup on my white bread sammie with a nice thick slice of meatloaf.  Now I am making myself hungry.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 10:10:06 AM »
Sound good, bookmarked this one

Thanks
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »
... (see my gravy article here)...

For anyone looking for Hub's gravy primer (which is worth looking for), it's at this link right here.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »
Simple, easy, tasty . . . . can't go wrong there ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 03:33:21 PM »
You got my attention too Hub! I have used the onion soup mix a lot but add other things. I have copied the recipe and will make this my next meatloaf! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Kona

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
I love me some meatloaf! I usually bake a chorizo sausage in the middle of mine :)
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 04:54:49 PM »
I love meatloaf..............thanks Hub  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32