Author Topic: Broil King Smoke Offset Smoker  (Read 48015 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Broil King Smoke Offset Smoker
« Reply #-1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:55:09 PM »
As most of you know we moved to a small cabin on a steep slope and my Good One Open Range could not safely be moved to my back decks. I sold it to the dude that bought our last place. We picked up a Char-Griller off of CL. It had the side firebox attached and I have used it for smoking about 5 times. Now I have had pretty good results but I have to re-paint the fire-box after every use. I have warped the fire grates and the pull out pan. Char-griller did replace them for me.......once. They are done replacing the components. Now the CG is great for grilling when we have company over. The PK is great for just Wendy and I. I felt the need for a dedicated off-set. I like off-sets. Wendy agreed and said to make a wise choice because this is a one-time shot. I am retired and Wendy is bringing home the bacon so I felt the pressure to make a wise decision.

So here is the problem. In the off-set world, there is no middle class. What I mean is, if you want a gas grill or charcoal grill or a smoker, you can get em for 49.00 to thousands of dollars in all sort of increments.

Not with an offset. You either get them for a little over a hundred and fifty and the next jump is 1000.00 and up for all welded 1/4" construction. I had thought and hoped Old Country pits sold at Academy would be the 400-700 dollar middle offset but quality is all across the board. Jaxon got a good one. I tried one and had to have it returned. Various reviews mention buying them in person and inspecting them before purchasing one. No Academys out here on the left coast.

So the search has been on. I can not safely get a 1/4 thick 400 lb off-set on my back decks. Need to get something in pcs and assemble it where it will stay.

But, The Smoke wants quality. Is it possible? The search has lasted me about 2 months of constant checking on-line. Nothing out there. Either thin junk or beefy 500 lb monsters.........

and then I discovered the Broil King on some site I never heard of. Over to BK site and plenty of research and plenty of phone calls.

Retail on this unit is anywhere from 599-999. I got this bad boy for 499 and free shipping.

The unit arrived today in one nice big box on a pallet. 260 lbs total. This pit weighs in just under 200 lbs. 2mm steel (14 ga) but it seems so much thicker. The doors seal perfect (one of the flaws of lesser priced units). There are three aluminum Rotodraft dampers (smaller versions of the Keg dampers) one of each access door and one on the smoke stack for precise air control and stainless steel ash pans and smoke diffuser trays. The smoker diffuser trays sit in the smoking chamber and they are also used to hold charcoal if grilling in the smoking chamber. These are to be left in to help adjust the heat distribution while smoking (we shall see). There is a damper inside the smoking chamber that mounts against the opening that leads into the firebox. This can be adjusted with a tool you get that will also adjust the heat and smoke into the main smoking chamber. Real heavy cast iron grates that can be flipped over where the channels hold grease and baste your food or put them point up for those grill marks we all know and love.

Assembly was a breeze. All holes in this unit had threaded brass fittings and they were very precise. I have never seen a Broil King grill or keg up close before and this is real good quality. Everything is heavy on this unit. Like I say, this is one well thought out unit. I spoke to a BBQ Galore in Canada and the guy said Broil King nailed it with this off-set.

It was sunny when the pallet arrived but it clouded up quick and Wendy and I got it assembled in a driving rain. So pics of the assembly didn't happen....however there is a nice intro video and an assembly video on the Broil King site:  http://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/smoke/smoke_offset_charcoal_smoker

5 year warranty on the cook box and 2 years on parts and paint. Very durable powder coating was used but smokers do not stay pretty for long...unless you don't use them. This offset will be used for smoking only. When the CG gives up the ghost, I will then start grilling in the main chamber. You also get hd grates for the fire-box for grilling as well.

This is not a two-three year pit. With stainless steel ash trays and solid construction, with a cover and cleaning it out the next day, this pit should be around a long while.

Is this the missing link of the offset world? After getting this put together, the fit and finish suggests it might be.........however we got to see how she smokes........

Tomorrow will be a seasoning morning and country style pork ribs are going in so check in tomorrow.

Here are pics of the packaging. Everything was nicely boxed and wrapped. Very well thought out.

These were the boxes for the smoking chamber and fire box.......very heavy

Here are some of the boxes of the rest of the components.  Trust me...there were more than just these
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Broil King Smoke Offset Smoker
« on: April 11, 2016, 11:31:18 PM »
Waiting.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:39:40 PM »
Me too
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 05:51:47 AM »
Nice Purchase, Congrats!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »
Rains are gone and the sun is out. Got her all dried up.

Heavy cast iron grates in the smoking chamber

Heavy cast iron grates for fire box grilling

Diffuser/charcoal grates in the smoking chamber

This is the internal damper from the smoking chamber to the fire box. Here it is all the way down.

Here it is completely open

Super heavy charcoal grate in the firebox

Slide out stainless ash pan in the fire-box......smoking chamber has one as well
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 11:36:20 AM »
Pretty nifty Smoke! Looks well-made and some good designs! Congratulations buddy!
When is fire-up?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »
It looks like it's built good.  Waiting on the first cook ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 12:00:32 PM »
It looks like it's built good.  Waiting on the first cook ;)

Can't do anything until it is Smoochy approved  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »
That's a bute Clark
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »
That is one great looking offset for the price Smoke!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 04:13:11 PM »
Nice features> The handles and the trays are really nice.  Should be a nice rig.
You should have her seasoned up and cooking by now...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 04:24:26 PM »
It is official.....this pit is Smoochy approved  :)

So lets get a fire started

The BKO (Broil King Offset) has been running for two hours at 250. A mix of mesquite lump and Kingsford and I have not made one vent adjustment...yet
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »
Awesome looking off set Smoke!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 04:53:52 PM »
Not only did you pick up a real nice Stick Burner It is holding a steady 250 without adjustment.   
Nice
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 05:12:48 PM »
Looks well made Smoke!!! Looks like one I would want; especially since it has a bottle opener on it! :) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/