Author Topic: More Pizza on the Cobb Grill  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
More Pizza on the Cobb Grill
« Reply #-1 on: January 05, 2017, 07:52:39 AM »
Baking a nice pizza on the Cobb Premier Grill has been a little difficult to master and I have done about a dozen bakes trying to perfect it into something that would suit me. I think I have figured out a method that will produce a pretty good pie.

Grill Setup:

I think the best pizza is always cooked on a hearth and I have found that the best size to use on this small grill is the smaller 8-1/2” stone. One of the biggest problems with pizza on this little cooker is getting the top done before the bottom burns. A larger stone than this will prevent the heated air from coming around this stone to get up into the dome where it can cook the top of the pie before the bottom burns. I have also placed this stone on the raised roasting rack to get it higher into the dome and away from the grid to allow more heated air to come out from under and get into the dome. I am using the grid from the Cobb BBQ Kit as this grid has many more slots that will allow more heat to  get out and around the hearth and up into the dome for the best results. I am also using the dome extension under my pizza setup which gets my fire a little farther away from my product.

Fuel:

For most baking, I like to use the small Weber charcoal chimney to start my fire to be sure I have all the coals about the same before I pour them into the grill.

While I much prefer lump charcoal for about all baking, I have found that it is much harder to control in this little cooker for high temp baking. However, it’s great for steaks and chops.

I have found that about 22-24 briquets are about perfect for my pizza. I started with the Kingsford Professional but these so called all hardwood only briquets still have the borax stink agent on the outside to help them release from the dies and I don’t want that smell anywhere near my pizza. I found that they also produce way to much ash for this little grill and will block the incoming air to my fire. I am using the larger charcoal basket that comes with the Cobb BBQ KIt.

I found that the best fuel for my application is the Wicked Good all hardwood charcoal briquets and this has worked quite well for all my recent bakes. They have a great sweet all wood burning smell and produce very little ash as compared to other briquets.

Let’s make a pizza...

I like to make my pizza dough in my Dough Maker (bread machine on the dough only cycle) as it does a great job with this task and it is just super easy to use for this lazy old fellow.

This first pizza has sauce, cheese, fresh basil leaves, and tomatoes and is on my little wooden peel and after the picture, I carried it out and baked it on the grill.

This second pizza has sauce, cheese, pepperoni, onions, and bell peppers and is about done on the grill.

The third pizza was the same as the second but I did add some hot peppers to this one.

The second pizza just off of the grill.

All three pies ready for serving.

The pizza as served.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline tomcrete1

Re: More Pizza on the Cobb Grill
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:50:17 AM »
Nice lookin Pie!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »
Who doesn't love pizza? Dave you can cook just about anything on that little wondergrill!
Very nice pies! I'd love a slice with hot peppers although your first pie looks awfully good too! :thumbup:

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »
Looks wonderful Dave!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Roget

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »
Good looking pies, Dave.
I've been jones'in for pizza but as cold as it is (& with 3 inches of snow on the ground) I'm just too lazy to dig the oven out.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner