Author Topic: Low Carb Quiche  (Read 1239 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Low Carb Quiche
« Reply #-1 on: February 15, 2017, 02:02:59 PM »
James and I restarted back on the low carb eating, and  I needed to prep some meals for the week.   Since we have 64,000 chickens and ducks, eggs are always in steady supply, and I wanted to try a low carb quiche.

Found a great recipe for coconut flour crust which we tweaked a little, and it came out AWESOME.

1/2 cup melted butter
2 eggs
pinch of salt
3/4 cup coconut flour

We also added about half a cup of shredded cheese to ours

You'll have to pardon my photos-- James and I are remodeling the kitchen (phase 2), so I've been without real floors or an stove or counter space for a few weeks.  We also had a field mouse infestation this month, so I haven't wanted to touch ANYTHING, anywhere, because every time I went to grab something, a mouse would run out from behind it and scare the living bejeezus out of me.   Been a fun month.   ;) 

You mix the ingredients, which form a nice dough, press it into a pie tin, poke a bunch of holes in it, then bake at 400° for 9 minutes.   Thankfully I've got my MAK on the back deck, so we were able to still cook despite not having a stove!

After those were pulled out and cooled down a bit, we added cheese and mushrooms, and chopped bacon/sausage,

I mixed some chopped spinach in with several duck eggs and about 1/4 cup of cream, poured that into the pie, and put it back on the MAK until it was set firmly in the center.

James thought it needed more cheese, so we sprinkled a bit on top after we pulled it from the grill.

Will absolutely do this again--  had great texture, good flavor, and it was really really nice to have a crust.  I've done crustless quiche before, and it just doesn't do it for me.   We made three of these-- they freeze and reheat really well, so they're great to have on hand for last minute dinners.

Here's a slice for you!

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: Low Carb Quiche
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:09:43 PM »
Beautiful job!!! Thank you for sharing Kat ... sounds like many of us are getting back on the Low Carb bus ...

The DW loves coconut but I don't. Does the coconut flour crust have a coconut taste to it or a neutral taste?
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 02:45:51 PM »
Beautiful job!!! Thank you for sharing Kat ... sounds like many of us are getting back on the Low Carb bus ...

The DW loves coconut but I don't. Does the coconut flour crust have a coconut taste to it or a neutral taste?

I didn't notice any coconut taste at all in this.  I brought a slice for Bruce and Matt at work, and they both said it was excellent, and didn't taste like coconut.  They were surprised it was low carb!   The crust comes out tasting kind of toasty/nutty flavored, but has a nice buttery flavor as well. 

Oh!   And I forgot to say I used a bit of no-sugar cajun rub instead of the salt in the crust dough, so that might have helped avoid the coconut flavor if there was any.   

I notice a coconut flavor more when I use coconut oil, but haven't really noticed much with the flour. 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
That looks extremely tasty Kat!  Very nice job! :thumbup:

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 04:09:55 PM »
Looks delicious Kat!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
What all said and more!!! Do look good Kat!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 07:35:24 PM »
That looks great, Kat. I love quiche!  I WILL be trying this soon. I may mix half & half coconut & almond flour.

Pete, if you don't like coconut, then try Almond flour instead. (it's just a little more expensive). 

I like coconut, so I am using some coconut flour, and even though it's not a strong flavor,  I can still detect it.  A little salt helps balance it out.  I will say though that my son who also does not like coconut doesn't mind the few things he's tried where I've used coconut flour.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »
Thanks for the information about coconut flour guys. I noticed some almond flour at Costco today. Next time I'll pick some up.

Does everyone know that Ripon, California is the "Almond capital of the world"? The almond blossoms are starting to come out right now and will be in full bloom within 2 weeks. It's one of the most beautiful sights to behold!!
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:13 PM »
Oh my that looks good

64,000 chickens... dang
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven