Author Topic: seasoning cast iron  (Read 2383 times)

Offline stalag

seasoning cast iron
« Reply #-1 on: March 24, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
I have as the first job for the MAK I am getting from TentHunter the seasoning of all my cast iron pans, lid for one of them, and a cast iron griddle.  I need a clean burning pellet for this job.  Studying the non stick properties of burnt carbon (seasoning of the cast iron), the best way to do this is to do 9 layers of oil, one layer at a time and cook that layer at a holding temperature of 350-375F for one hour per.  This should be well within the capabilities of the unit, but any advice would be appreciated.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: seasoning cast iron
« on: March 24, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »
I seasoned my de Buyer pans with coconut oil..came out perfect with 3 applications and 350º for an hour, 3x. I season all my cast iron with coconut oil...love that stuff.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline stalag

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
I have as the first job for the MAK I am getting from TentHunter the seasoning of all my cast iron pans, lid for one of them, and a cast iron griddle.  I need a clean burning pellet for this job.  Studying the non stick properties of burnt carbon (seasoning of the cast iron), the best way to do this is to do 9 layers of oil, one layer at a time and cook that layer at a holding temperature of 350-375F for one hour per.  This should be well within the capabilities of the unit, but any advice would be appreciated.

Pam actually confirmed the process, now I need suggestions for a clean burning pellet to use for this extended process.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »
Pam actually confirmed the process, now I need suggestions for a clean burning pellet to use for this extended process.

Use Oak pellets.  Brand doesn't really matter as long as they are 100% oak.  They have the overall best BTU rating, and oak are known to be he cleanest burning pellet.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »
I agree with Pam on 3 coats, I did the 9 coats before and had just as good of luck using 3 coats on my latest CI Stargazer skillet and used Crisco. I have used it a lot since. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
I've always used flax seed oil to season mine. Also used it on the Blackstone griddle top.  I think pretty much any oil will work though, but I read a long article at the America's Test Kitchen site about flax seed oil for seasoning, so I went that route.

Offline Pappymn

seasoning cast iron
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »
Curious on why waste pellets and not do it in an oven? I have used flax seed oil with good results
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline stalag

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
Curious on why waste pellets and not do it in an oven? I have used flax seed oil with good results
I have tried it before indoors but it set off the fire alarm. I live in an apartment and setting off the alarm tends to piss off the neighbors and the landlord.  Also the firemen tend to get upset when the call is a false alarm.  In my apartment here all alarms in the apartment building I live in go off if the alarm in my apartment goes for too long. I also have a lot of cast iron. This is not just one pan. I also have a wok and a couple of other steel pans that also need treatment. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:26:33 PM by stalag »

Offline Pappymn

seasoning cast iron
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
I have tried it before indoors but it set off the fire alarm. I live in an apartment and setting off the alarm tends to piss off the neighbors and the landlord.  Also the firemen tend to get upset when the call is a false alarm.  In my apartment here all alarms in the apartment building I live in go off if the alarm in my apartment goes for too long. I also have a lot of cast iron. This is not just one pan. I also have a wok and a couple of other steel pans that also need treatment.
Makes sense to me.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 08:28:23 AM »
Stalag..easy fix..point a fan at the smoke alarm..works for me..don't ask me how I know.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 12:34:52 PM »
Stalag..easy fix..point a fan at the smoke alarm..works for me..don't ask me how I know.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

When staying in a hotel, I've been known to use the free women's shower cap . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
I seasoned my de Buyer pans with coconut oil..came out perfect with 3 applications and 350º for an hour, 3x. I season all my cast iron with coconut oil...love that stuff.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Any special Brand or type Pam. Thanks Richard
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »

... or you could disconnect the alarm and use the fan to clear the kitchen. Jus' sayin'.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline stalag

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 10:38:59 AM »
After further research on the seasoning of cast iron, I ended up doing it in my oven rather than outside.  The instructions here were instrumental in getting a good season on my cast iron without addition of setting off my smoke alarms or leaving nasty odors.  Also, it also helped me in getting good information on what type of pellet to burn in my MAK.  I have now a couple of cooks on my MAK and have some roasts intended for near future cooks in my freezer.  Thanks to all.