Author Topic: Pellet Grill Pizza  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Mikeybrew

Pellet Grill Pizza
« Reply #-1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:34:21 PM »
Going to cook a pizza on my Rec Tec Mini this weekend.  I have a rectangular pizza stone that I have always used in the oven for pizzas and was not sure if I should use that in the pellet grill.  It makes a nice crispy crust, but would block the entire bottom of the pizza from picking up any smoke.  Also, when cooking pizzas on a pellet grill, has anyone started it out at 250°F for a few minutes for some smoke and then raise the temp up to 400°F or do you get some hints of smoke cooking at 400°F the entire time?
Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:08:13 PM by Mikeybrew »
Mike

Rec Tec RT-300
Weber Kettle 18"
Kenmore Gas Grill
Thermoworks ChefAlarm
Thermoworks DOT

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: Pellet Grill Pizza
« on: April 13, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »
I have only tried a Papa Murphy's on the pellet grill and put it on at 425 from the start.  There was no notice of smoke until I tried the leftover (rarely have leftover pizza  :D) I could taste a little smoke the next day.  You might have more luck picking up smoke at a lower temp for a few mins.  Good luck and please post your method and results.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »
I have cooked a few on the home built pellet SRG.   I start on high setting (Traeger  non-digital controller)  temp runs near 490 at the pizza stone.  Works very well for me

Pizza stone is a Primo grill stone.  Was told it is good to 550, but who really knows?   Has not cracked yet ;) 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »
On my Daniel Boone I take the grates and drip pan out, then my I think 17" square stone fits across the top from front to back. Temp is set at 500F preheating stone at least 15 minutes. Pizzas cook pretty quick and have a nice kiss of smoke. Don't worry about smoke, you'll get enough, more important is a good crust.

Offline Mikeybrew

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »
So the first experiment cooking the pizza was as follows:  I placed the pizza stone in the Rec Tec Mini and set it to 450°F.  I got the pizza stone up to 400°F as measured with my infrared thermometer.  At that point, I put the pizza on the stone and set the grill to 400°F.  Pizza cooked in about 20 minutes.  I made a plain cheese pizza because I wanted to see if I got any smokiness and did not want other flavors to hide or overpower that.  The crust was a Boboli medium thickness.  The bottom crust was nice and crispy, cheese melted and browned slightly.  As far as taste, I did not detect any smokiness as in the wood fired pizzas which I had growing up at a local pizza place.
My guess is with the complete combustion of the pellets at the 400°F setpoint, they did not really produce any smoke flavors.

Next pizza cook, I think I am going to try starting the pellet grill at around 250°F which is the max smoke setting on the Rec Tec Mini where it cycles the fan on and off.  Let it go for 5 or 10 minutes, then crank it up to 400 or 450°F.

What do you guys think about this?  What are your experiences?  Trying to achieve that nice wood fired pizza flavor which is produced at pizza shops.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mike

Rec Tec RT-300
Weber Kettle 18"
Kenmore Gas Grill
Thermoworks ChefAlarm
Thermoworks DOT

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:18:57 AM »
Pizza looks great! 
 But at the temps you have to cook at you may want to add smoke with a smoking tube from A-Maze-N smoker    https://www.amazenproducts.com/

I find this really helps my home built pellet pooper  achieve the smoke taste I like
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »
Nice lookin Pizza! :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »
I've done several pizzas on my Memphis with pretty good results.  I use the "smoky start" technique that's been described here.  Pop the cold pie in on "smoke" for ten or fifteen minutes then move it out, wait while the temp goes on up to 550 for the finish.  It then only takes a few minutes but I get a nice little smoky tang (hickory or pecan pellets).  I don't have a stone, just put the pie on the grates.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Mikeybrew

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »
That was going to be my next question, pizza stone or no pizza stone?  Thinking without the stone gives it twice as much surface area to absorb some smoke.
Mike

Rec Tec RT-300
Weber Kettle 18"
Kenmore Gas Grill
Thermoworks ChefAlarm
Thermoworks DOT