Author Topic: Does anyone have a Grilla?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Subvet

Does anyone have a Grilla?
« Reply #-1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »
Returned my Pit Boss after two weeks so in the market for a new pellet smoker. The Grilla appears to be a good one from what I have been able to research. It is the right size for just two people. The Silverbac is too big for our needs. Would appreciate any feedback Grilla users here could give me on its dependability and how it performs.
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Does anyone have a Grilla?
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:31:19 AM »
Have read of lots of back burn issues which is inherent to the design. Dont know if there is a fix or if one has been iniated.
Of note is that this product has been on the market a number of years yet not developed a strong following as compared to other successful brands. Be aware that may merit concern......
As is my usual advice to anyone: all pellet grills "work", technically. But if you do not want to be a mechamic and problem solver....buy a MAK. Yes the initial price is higher than many. But MAK is a no excuses company that makes every product to perform....and not have to be replaced or repaired on a regular basis. Thus....that makes owning a MAK cheaper in the actual ownership length of time. Just my opinion and no intent to shade or slight other brands. But having owned several other brands....MAK is clearly the best I have ever owned by a considerable margin.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
I agree with Tee the MAK is an outstanding product. You stated that you are looking for something perfect for two people. May I suggest that you take a look at the Rec Tec Mini? I've had mine for over a year and well over a hundred cooks with very little issues. Just a suggestion.. Lots of good videos out there showing it action also  :D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Subvet

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 01:07:11 PM »
I agree with Tee the MAK is an outstanding product. You stated that you are looking for something perfect for two people. May I suggest that you take a look at the Rec Tec Mini? I've had mine for over a year and well over a hundred cooks with very little issues. Just a suggestion.. Lots of good videos out there showing it action also  :D

Tee and Tom, The MAK would be a super addition but unfortunately it is out of my price range. I am considering the Rec Tec Mini.

Tom, the mods you have made to yours are amazing.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline Subvet

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:32:51 PM »
Have read of lots of back burn issues which is inherent to the design. Dont know if there is a fix or if one has been iniated.
Of note is that this product has been on the market a number of years yet not developed a strong following as compared to other successful brands. Be aware that may merit concern......
From what I have read the Grilla model did not take off initially because of the high price. It was $1600. A couple of years ago the company created a new business model. It's now made in China. They dropped their dealerships and started selling direct like Rec Tec. The price is now $799 with shipping included. It has a four year warranty.  Currently the Grilla model has about a one month backlog to get one while their Silverbac model is almost two months. The Grilla Owners Facebook page has 6,100 members. It appears they are developing a stronger following than in the past.

Appreciate the tip on the back burn problem. I definitely need to check that out.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:04:05 PM »
From what I have read the Grilla model did not take off initially because of the high price. It was $1600. A couple of years ago the company created a new business model. It's now made in China. They dropped their dealerships and started selling direct like Rec Tec. The price is now $799 with shipping included. It has a four year warranty.  Currently the Grilla model has about a one month backlog to get one while their Silverbac model is almost two months. The Grilla Owners Facebook page has 6,100 members. It appears they are developing a stronger following than in the past.

Appreciate the tip on the back burn problem. I definitely need to check that out.

Good luck! I'm sure you will make the right decision!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:35:40 PM »
When I was looking I was looking at a Grilla or a Camp Chef. I chose the Camp Chef and have been very happy with it. I still think the Grilla is a goo one though.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]