Author Topic: Tips for first brisket?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline HodyMac

Tips for first brisket?
« Reply #-1 on: July 21, 2017, 01:18:50 AM »
I picked up a brisket flat at Costco today. 
I've looked over PBC website recipe as well as the full packer recipe on Amazing Ribs.

Any particular tips before I dive in head first?  I've had good results with bork butt, ribs, and chickens in the PBC. A little nervous about the brisket. Partly, I guess, 'cause I've had some really poor brisket in BBQ joints. 

Offline Pappymn

Tips for first brisket?
« on: July 21, 2017, 08:58:08 AM »
Can't help you on the PBC. But does your Costco sell full prime packers like mine does? They are always a lot cheaper then the choice flats they sell. One of life's great mysteries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: Tips for first brisket?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 06:04:23 PM »
Just think of brisket as fixing a butt.  Pretty much the same technique, I have no experience with the PBC but I suppose it supplies heat & smoke like any other bbq cooker.  The biggest mistake that I, (and others) made with the first brisket is not realizing how long they can take.  Time means nothing, got to go by temp and feel.  Usually require an IT of 190-205, check the temp in multiple locations with an instant read and note how easily it slides in.  Should slide right in with no or minimal resistance.  I've had that happen as low as 190 and as high as 205.  When doing a whole packer the temp in the point will always check higher than the flat due to the fat content so check the thicker part of the flat.  I usually separate the flat & the point when the flat is done and put the point back on for further rendering even thought the temp in the point can be 10 degrees higher than the flat.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:03:45 PM »
Use a dalmation rub (salt and pepper) Flats are a little lean....any fat cap keep on it.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HodyMac

Tips for first brisket?
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:53:18 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
I think I'll be ready to crutch, which I haven't done with butts, to try and keep the flat from drying out.

On this visit the local Costco only had flats in the cooler. I'll keep an eye open for packers on future visits.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 09:02:43 PM »
I have a local market that will just sell the points. You ought to check around your town. I don't deal with flats anymore.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline psousa781

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »
Late to the game here, but I smoked my first brisket ever on 7/20 and tried to keep it as foolproof as possible.  Trimming was the hardest/most intimidating part.  Once that was done I used a 50/50 coarse ground pepper and kosher salt rub (I just used McCormack coarse ground pepper and Morton's kosher salt).  I hung that until IT hit 160ish and then crutched it with a half cup of beef stock.  Put the wrapped brisket on the grate and let it cook until IT was 200ish.  I then wrapped it in a big towel and put in an empty cooler where it sat for about 3 hours (while I cooked some ribs in the PBC).  Then took it from the cooler and let it rest about 45 minutes while the ribs finished up. 

I will say I have never had "great" brisket, it has always been dry and overdone any time I've ordered it (I'm in New England so probably not surprising), so I went into this cook hoping to see the light.  I am now a convert, it was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:58:26 PM by psousa781 »

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »
Congrats on your success.  It looks great.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Pappymn

Tips for first brisket?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 04:18:54 PM »
Looks really good. Congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline richf918

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 11:51:08 AM »
Looks great, what was your total cook time?

Offline psousa781

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 01:04:24 PM »
Looks great, what was your total cook time?
About 6 hours total in the barrel, about 4 hanging and another 2 wrapped on the grate.  I was nervous because I started two hours later than I wanted to, but the timing worked out perfectly for me.  It was a bit over 12lbs before trimming.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
Looks good  ;D

Too many people are intimidated by brisket since its a big cut and there are some "secrets" to doing one well.  However, even when less than perfect, it's still a fantastic meal.  Briefly,

Cook a full packer, not just a point or flat -- better moisture retention
Low and slow as possible in your cooker -- doing one hot and fast is possible but riskier
Last part of cook in foil to insure moisture
Slice the flat across the grain
Overdone is better than underdone

Here's "TMI" if you like lots of detail on the problem.  If not, just cook a few (carefully) and learn as you go.  Just like with a lot of other stuff, you'll usually enjoy eating your mistakes, too  ::)

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=617.0

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline HodyMac

Tips for first brisket?
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »

Finally putting some pictures up. I did the brisket flat a couple weeks ago. It came out good. My guests thought it was great, so I'm happy enough.   

I thought there were going to be extra guests so I did a chicken as well.