Author Topic: It's Herd Thinning Day Today  (Read 1374 times)

Offline hikerman

It's Herd Thinning Day Today
« Reply #-1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:44:29 AM »
We are having a small cookout today with our oldest daughter, our son-in-law, and one of our young granddaughters. The weather is going to be perfect and it will be good to see them again. It shall be a wonderful day. I'm smoking and grilling fresh bratwurst and grilling burgers for them, Mrs H and myself are having Italian seitan sausages smoked and grilled and grilled black bean burgers. Also on hand will be locally grown sweet corn and Mrs H's oil free vegan dill potato salad. And chilled watermelon for dessert!
Afterwards, I'm giving our sil my PBC. He has become my BBQ protege of sorts, so it's getting a good home! Next week my old Weber and my Charbroil 500X are going to a friend and a neighbor, also good homes. As we have become vegans there isn't a need for these grills any longer. I am keeping my Green Mountain pellet grill and my PK grill, as I use these often for roasting veggies and smoking our "wheat meat". In warm weather the pellet grill is used to bake bread, cookies, and more of Mrs H's goodies. It's going to be a little sad losing these grills but it's time to move on....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:25:55 PM by hikerman »

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: It's Herd Thinning Day Today
« on: July 29, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
I think it sucks that your grills are finding homes.  I'm so happy your doing better though.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »
I think it sucks that your grills are finding homes.  I'm so happy your doing better though.

Thanks Sparky I truly appreciate it buddy! I am feeling very good and my strength is about 90% back. But this is at a cost....giving up things I love in order to live a good life. I'm learning how to re-invent the wheel and be happy. The kush helps...

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »
Fresh cheddar bratwurst, Italian seitan sausages, paprika, and serrano peppers getting their smoke on!

[attachment removed after 6 months]

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 01:54:26 PM »

Thanks Sparky I truly appreciate it buddy! I am feeling very good and my strength is about 90% back. But this is at a cost....giving up things I love in order to live a good life. I'm learning how to re-invent the wheel and be happy. The kush helps...

I hear ya.  I just found out I have diabetes this last week.  Trying to figure it all out and pricking my finger twice a day sucks.  I don't know what I'm suppose to eat.  Sour D here brother.  We might be moving and my wife said I could only take 4 grills / smokers.  I sold off 5 of them already so I only have 3 left.  Don't tell my wife but I ordered a drum smoker.  I won't get yelled at until Wednesday.  I don't see how though.  It's only 4.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
Sorry to hear about the diabetes buddy. If you don't fight it good it will win....not preaching but so many people take the easy route and it eventually wins then. Can you hide a grill in a grill then it only counts as one! Sour D works too!

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »
As far as knowing what to eat, when I was first diagnosed with Type II, my doctor sent me to a "class" at the Huntsville Hospital Medical Center. They gave a good education on what to eat, what to look out for, etc. Perhaps they have something in your area? If not if you move to Huntsville you can see if your Dr will send you to the class.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 03:56:03 PM »
D@mn, H, first Brisket, now Italian sausages ! ! !

Glad to hear that you're doing better.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis Sparky. 

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »
As far as knowing what to eat, when I was first diagnosed with Type II, my doctor sent me to a "class" at the Huntsville Hospital Medical Center. They gave a good education on what to eat, what to look out for, etc. Perhaps they have something in your area? If not if you move to Huntsville you can see if your Dr will send you to the class.

Thank you.   I will check into it.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »
I am thinning my herd too. I gave my PBC to the youngest and he is enjoying it tremendously! I finally sold the 2 WSM's so am down to just about where I want to be. I am still looking to buy a Weber 26.75 and then I am done??  8) I still have my Grid Iron pellet grill, the Weber 22, Jumbo Joe and SRG. Plus my wife's Weber Smokey Joe. Now I am down from 13 plus a couple years ago. Hard to part with them, but when they are just sitting I decided to let someone else enjoy. 
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles