Author Topic: First Month with the PBC  (Read 2929 times)

Offline psousa781

Re: First Month with the PBC
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »
All of that grub looks great, but I especially like the looks of those ribs.  :thumbup:
Thanks!  I'm doing another four racks on Friday, gonna try Meathead's Memphis Dust this time.  I'll share the results.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I use that all the time on ribs. It's a no salt rub, I would recommend dry brining with Kosher salt per the info from Meathead on Amazing Ribs

Thanks Kona!  In regards to the dry brine, would a few hours in the morning be plenty of time?  And do I only salt the meaty side of the rack?  Also, should I wrap tightly with plastic wrap?  I am known to overthink things, but I also don't want to assume it's as easy as sprinkling some kosher on one side and putting them back in the fridge.

Offline Kona

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 02:24:53 PM »
All of that grub looks great, but I especially like the looks of those ribs.  :thumbup:
Thanks!  I'm doing another four racks on Friday, gonna try Meathead's Memphis Dust this time.  I'll share the results.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I use that all the time on ribs. It's a no salt rub, I would recommend dry brining with Kosher salt per the info from Meathead on Amazing Ribs

Thanks Kona!  In regards to the dry brine, would a few hours in the morning be plenty of time?  And do I only salt the meaty side of the rack?  Also, should I wrap tightly with plastic wrap?  I am known to overthink things, but I also don't want to assume it's as easy as sprinkling some kosher on one side and putting them back in the fridge.

You only really need 2-3 hours for ribs, they aren't very thick. I've dry brined both sides, I always remove the membrane on the bone side. I just wrap mine tightly in foil. This is from amazing ribs...

"Rule of thumb: 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of meat or 1/4 teaspoon of table salt per pound, refrigerate for one to two hours. You do not need to rinse off excess salt. It will all be sucked into the meat. Sounds simple, but something complex and wonderful happens. Adding spices in advance does little to benefit the meat below the surface because they cannot penetrate. "

Here is the full article:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/dry_brining.html

I always eyeball the amount of salt when I dry brine, I use coarse kosher salt. I've done ribs with and without the dry brine and I was able to tell the difference in the juiciness of the ribs. 
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pappymn

First Month with the PBC
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 03:22:09 PM »
I dry brined my last ribs. Really made a taste difference for me
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline psousa781

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 03:35:26 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'm getting excited and happy thinking about it.

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
Fantastic job and the pictures are awesome! Great work :thumbup: