Author Topic: How do you use your Pellet Grill most???  (Read 4117 times)

Offline rwalters

How do you use your Pellet Grill most
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 02:37:43 AM »
I have found a pellet grill/Blackstone griddle to be a fantastic combo.

I have my small Blackstone griddle sitting right next to my MAK. Yes, my MAK can sear, but for certain cooks (reverse sears) having a screaming hot griddle right next to your pellet grill comes in super handy. Just did this tri tip a couple of days ago. 2.5 hours of low n slow, followed by a 2 min/side sear on the griddle.

I tell you this so you know that you can buy a pellet grill that does not do an outstanding job of grilling...BUT, still turn out killer grilled food.

MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline ClimberDave

Re: How do you use your Pellet Grill most???
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 05:59:57 PM »
Not to bash GMG but Rec Tec is much better made with ss in the right places and a great controller. Wi-Fi does not warrant such a big drop in quality if you ask me.

Kind of what I was thinking actually
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline Redapple

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
I have a GMG Daniel Boone, and I use it for everything except steaks. I try not to use the higher temps in the smoker, just easier for me to use my gas grill or my charcoal grill for steaks.

The GMG has worked good for me, get great results, just wish it were bigger...

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 05:48:02 PM »
I've been cooking on pellet grills since 1991. Would never look back. Graduated from cooking on Traegers to MAK 2 Stars. The cooking versatility that I get on my MAK is fantastic! It gets tremendously hotter than any of my Traegers. One of the great features on my grill is the cold smoker/warmer box. I cold smoke cheese, nut, sea salt, brown sugar, black pepper (for rubs). Weeknigts I grill. Weekends I barbecue.  Yesterday, 10/15/17--I cooked up an incredible beef stew on my MAK.
Used it to grill/sear the chuck steak I used in the stew.Smoked the veggies a bit before chopping them up and throwing them into the pot. I would say that I do  an equal amount of hot 'n fast and low 'n slow.
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
For smoking and for roasting with a maximum temperature of 350.

For grilling, I use the Weber gasser or a charcoal burner.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Redapple

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »
Been using my GMG Daniel Boone for about 2 1/2 years now. Seems to be holding up okay. It does seem that the introduction of the direct grilling feature has made things a bit more complicated. I only use for low and slow, so I would like to actually have the old one piece drip tray vs the new two piece they have.

I do agree that the drip trays could be a tad thicker as they do tend to warp over time, and I think as long as these are used for low & slow, they will hold up great.

I do like the Wi-Fi, as it adds a layer of convenience (don't like to get out of my chair when I am drinking)...lol

For me it is low & slow.

Bill

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 08:23:58 AM »
Been using my GMG Daniel Boone for about 2 1/2 years now. Seems to be holding up okay. It does seem that the introduction of the direct grilling feature has made things a bit more complicated. I only use for low and slow, so I would like to actually have the old one piece drip tray vs the new two piece they have.

I do agree that the drip trays could be a tad thicker as they do tend to warp over time, and I think as long as these are used for low & slow, they will hold up great.

I do like the Wi-Fi, as it adds a layer of convenience (don't like to get out of my chair when I am drinking)...lol

For me it is low & slow.

Bill

I was in the same exact boat you were in, except with the Jim Bowie. I called GMG and inquired about the old one piece drip tray. I told them that nothing was wrong with my two -piece, but I thought the 1 piece would work better for my needs. The customer service lady @ GMG agreed and shipped me a 1-piece for only shipping charges - Great Customer service.

BP

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 06:00:41 PM »
We use our MAK 1 Star for everything from cold-smoking (using an A-Maze-N pellet tube) & hot-smoking homemade bacon, hams, sausage, etc., to low & slow BBQ, to grilling steaks at over 600° and the like.

Quote from: ClimberDave
I like the RecTec warranty and seems to be built a bit better,  but...

Let me preface this  by saying  that I do NOT like to bash anyone's product, but there is something about  Rec-tec's "six-year" warranty claim that you should be aware of.   Rec-Tec's warranty is really a THREE-YEAR warranty with an extended three-year option AFTER a $99 charge.  Line four of their warranty in the owner's manual reads as follows, "4. Warranty claims made in years 4 through 6 are subject to a one-time charge of $99.00."

Again, I'm NOT saying their product is bad, whatsoever!  I've cooked on Rec-Tecs and they are fine grills. It's just a bit misleading to call it a six-year warranty, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:21:03 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 06:05:19 PM »
We use our pellet grills cold smoking, smoking, smoke/roasting, and roasting only.  Use the gas or charcoal for grilling.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Redapple

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »

For me it is low & slow.

Bill

I was in the same exact boat you were in, except with the Jim Bowie. I called GMG and inquired about the old one piece drip tray. I told them that nothing was wrong with my two -piece, but I thought the 1 piece would work better for my needs. The customer service lady @ GMG agreed and shipped me a 1-piece for only shipping charges - Great Customer service.

BP

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely call them.

Offline Redapple

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 01:34:48 PM »

For me it is low & slow.

Bill

BP

Followed your advice, was told that the one piece drip pans are not available. Makes me sad...