Author Topic: Smoky Sherry Wine & Chipotle Spareribs (WestcoastBBQ)  (Read 1024 times)

Offline DoomsmokeBBQ

Smoky Sherry Wine & Chipotle Spareribs (WestcoastBBQ)
« Reply #-1 on: September 26, 2017, 12:49:31 AM »

I'm blessed to live in wine country where wine barrel Wood is plentiful. Like Bourbon barrels , it's made from Oak and gives a very unique taste to whatever your smoking or even grilling , California dreaming to me is sitting on a wonderful sunset along the central coast on a winery with a Santa Maria pit fueled with coastal red oak and wine barrel staves slow cooking some BBQ away. I blame my region I'm from for not making ribs as often as the common pitmaster ...it's more beef country around here and that's usually my vision of classic BBQ but Pork Ribs are taken as serious as anywhere else and are on every local BBQ menu.

I'm more experimental and open minded with ribs however that doesn't mean I take cheater methods kindly , I disapprove of boiling them more then anything. Starting them in the oven and finished on the grill is more acceptable but that's not my kind of BBQ. If I ever had my own restaurant I always said everything on my menu will just has much attention to detail as the main course and ribs would have double the attention with membranes removed and smoked from start to finish with a bold mop and bold sauces & glazes.  I don't discourage the method of wrapping anything , everyone has their techniques for the right finished product but I don't do it as much myself . The wrapping of ribs trick for me came about when shows like BBQ Pitmasters showcased competition BBQ to a wider audience in my opinion cause not much before then mentioned wrapping unless you did competition where the method was more appropriate. I'm sure many have done it even before then but I started to see the practice become more apparent from the popularity of competition BBQ growing and so fourth. I tried it many times myself with excellent results and I praise the creativity it brings out of people using various liquid combinations and elements however the classic from start to finished smoke method still remains my favorite ... I love the layering of bark the ribs can get from a bold mopping mixture or spray bottle mixture ..the smoke flavor is more pronounced yet still subtle if the fire is clean and of course a nice glaze or sauce to finish .

I'm also a big fan of from smoke to grill methods such as the reverse sear you get the best of both worlds from live fire cooking and bring on more texture & flavor. I learned the method of caramelizing the ribs on a hot grill from Legend Paul Kirk in his book Competiton BBQ and as well as Famous Dave Anderson..two people I consider Idols. I even take this method to the kitchen  by starting things like whole Tenderloins and thick steaks in the oven for awhile and finishing them off on a screaming hot Cast Iron skillet basted with a flavorful butter constantly. These final searing procedures are perfect for making your seasonings shine as well by shaking a last pinch of your seasoning right before sevring while the food is still hot...a neat restaurant trick to know :).

These Spareribs I marinated in a simple bold Sherry based marinade with chipotle hot sauce ,garlic , honey and oil , seasoned with my variation of traditional Santa Maria seasonings , basted every hour with left over marinade and finished hot with finishing touch of my spices . I guess you can consider them "dry' style cause there's no BBQ sauce ..but the marinade sweetened with honey builds up nice glaze on the ribs. These were smoked with Wine barrel Chunks , if not available just use what you can get :).

FOR RIBS
. 1 Rack Spareribs  St.Louis style , membrane removed
. 1/2 cup Sherry Wine
. 6 to 8 cloves of garlic , finely minced
. 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
. 1/4 cup Honey
. 1/4 cup Chipotle hot sauce (Cholulla is my favorite)
. 1/4 cup Canola oil

FOR THE RUB
. 1/4 cup garlic salt (pure garlic salt , not the Lawry's with the green cap)
. 1/4 cup coarse black pepper
. 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
. 2 tablespoons Spanish Smoked Paprika
. 1 tablespoon granulated onion powder
. 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
. 1 teaspoon ground fennel
. 1 teaspoon ground cumin
. 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
. 1 teaspoon dry oregano
. 1 teaspoon dry rosemary (I like chopping it more finely)
. 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

.1) Mix all the marinade ingredients together and smear all over the spareribs , place in a container , covered and marinate over night.
.2) Remove Ribs from Marinade and pat dry ,reserving the marinade in a small saucepan.
.3) Mix rub ingredients together and season the ribs generously, Keep them Cold in fridge while you prepare your cooker.
.4) Prepare your cooker at 225 degrees smoking with wine barrel chunks or whatever you got on hand.
.5) When the Cooker is good to go ..place the ribs on and smoke for 4 to 6 hours until very tender.
.6) During the cook heat up the reserved marinade over medium high heat and baste every hour or so.
.7) Once ribs are tender ...remove from the pit and set aside while you build a hot fire for direct grilling.
.8) Once your fire is hot ...Sear the ribs for 1 to 3 minutes on each side basting frequently with leftover marinade
.9) Last few seconds of searing shake on some rub on both sides ...and serve the ribs at once :).
WeberQ22inch

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Smoky Sherry Wine & Chipotle Spareribs (WestcoastBBQ)
« on: September 26, 2017, 07:00:55 AM »
That looks wonderful. You can almost smell those cooking, by your description!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401