Author Topic: First shoulder!  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Cyclonefan

First shoulder!
« Reply #-1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:13:19 AM »
Man, the PBC is an amazing contraption, I'm officially hooked!  7# shoulder seasoned in beef and game, some penzeys spices  and left alone  to get happy overnight in fridge.  Followed Noah's video to the T with my only deviation being the shoulder on the rack the whole time.  Took about 3:30 to get to 160 and then I wrapped it and back on for 1:30 or so.  Let it rest for 45 minutes, then pulled to plate.  Amazing flavor, super tender, awesome result :)

My only question to the board experts is one of wrapping vs. non wrapping.  The bark isn't something that's all that important to me per say, but would non wrapping give a different texture profile to the pork?  Totally nitpicking here, but some of it felt a little "pork roasty."  No one else who devoured it made that comment so maybe it's a me issue, lol....

Thanks to all, I've learned a ton from all of you already, grateful for the insight and help!

Cheers!
Tom

Offline Pappymn

First shoulder!
« on: October 01, 2017, 12:04:21 PM »
Looks like you got some great results. I'm sure the talent will be around shortly to weigh in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: First shoulder!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
Bark to me on a butt is not that important. You can go either way with the foil. Foil wrap is usually used to help add moisture and to finish up the cook. So much fat in the pork butt that you can get away from foiling if you don't feel like it.

So, if bark aint that big a deal to you, wrap the butt at 150.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

Re: First shoulder!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 03:54:43 PM »
I always have wrapped my pork butts. I wrap at 165 and take it to 200-205 range. It does give a softer bark compared to not wrapping and like you, bark isn't a major thing for me. I leave mine wrapped in foil and in a cooler for about an hour after I take it off. I'll mix back in any juices in the foil back into the pulled pork as well as a finishing sauce.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Smokerjunky

First shoulder!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:53:29 PM »
Looks great. I would like a big pile of that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit