Author Topic: Spares in the new old or is it the old new smoker and a little tutorial  (Read 16700 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Spares in the new old or is it the old new smoker and a little tutorial
« Reply #-1 on: November 06, 2017, 03:18:16 PM »
A cold front is coming down from the North into Texas and yesterday was pretty blustery, but I was focused on burning some sticks.

I used 9" mini splits of pecan. Now for those of you struggling to use your offset or for those thinking about being a slave to a smoker, hear me out. You have to let the fire in your fire box burn naturally. All you can really do is know what size and how much wood to add and when to add it. The best way to run an offset is with your smokestack wide open and your side door wide open or if it is a blustery day at least half open. You have to know what size fire the fire-box needs to get the desired temp in your smoke chamber. Will there be temp spikes?? You bet. Usually when adding wood. If the temp spikes, I just open the top door to the fire-box and let it burn a bit. The big mistake is we all are "trained" to damper the fire down when we think it is too hot. All you are doing is choking air to the fire and then the smoldering starts and you don't want that. Keep the fire burning. Let it burn naturally. My pit ran yesterday from 260-325 and I didn't blink. Wendy came out to check on me and said "Why haven't you started the smoker yet?"

"What do you mean, I started the pit two hours ago"

"But there isn't any smoke coming from the smokestack"

"That means I am doing my job, now say my name?"

"Smokeasaurus"

"That's right, now back in the house with ya"       (She went back in the house, but I did hear about that last comment later that evening)   ??? ???

Back to the tutorial: if you don't want smoldering you have to keep your wood hot. This way it bursts into flames when hitting the coal base. Now when do you know when to add a log?

When the temp drops?

Nope, when the temp drops you might not have enough of a coal base to get your next log burning cleanly. Especially when adding only one split at a time like I do. My fire-box is actually too big for my smoking chamber but I use that to my advantage. When that split has been burning for about 30 minutes, I will tap on the split and if it breaks apart, I add the next split.

Now how do you keep your wood warm? Depends on your off-set. If it is a pipe smoker with pipe for the fire-box you could set a split right inside the smoking chamber on the fire-box side.

If you have a flat pot warmer welded to the top of the fire-box, you can set a split up there. Remember your gloves, they can get hot and even catch on fire.

If you have a square fire-box, the wood can go right on top.

Now I am lucky. I have a 20 X 20 square firebox so I keep the coal base on one side of the firebox and I actually lay the next split in the fire-box on the other side. When I add it to the coal base, I quickly set another split to replace it. Got to do it quickly because that hot split flames up instantly.

Some round fire-boxes are a pretty good size as well and you can do that in them as well. If you don't have a 4 foot long smoking chamber and don't have to use 16-18 inch splits this method of pre-heating the mini splits is real easy.

Now I did this for 6 straight hours which gives creedence to my slave to the pit statement earlier on. When I have the time and nothing to do, it is nice to sit by the off-set and manage the fire. All men should know how to build a fire and keep it going. It is a lost art form and sure comes in handy with outdoor cooking or even to keep your home toasty when Old Man Winter is having a tantrum.

Back to the cook: I for years in California emulated Texas BBQ. I ordered the seasonings and spent more than I care to remember to get those Houston made monsters shipped to the Golden State.

It was really special to be in Texas yesterday and burn Texas cut Pecan in a Texas made pit. It meant alot to The Smoke.....There was no Smoochy today. He doesn't like blustery days and it kept blowing his cowboy hat off  :D

Here is the set up in my fire-box I talked about

While the pit was coming up to temp, I used wooster and Grand Champion rub on the spare rib rack and off we go for the six hour smokey ride
I like to keep a water pan close to the fire-box and the thicker end of the rib facing the fire box side

An hour left Wendy came out with some mac and cheese to add to the smoker. After I put the mac and cheese in the pit and did my happy dance I heard all about how she did not appreciate me being macho earlier. The smell of the pecan smoke and my rugged good looks calmed her down  :D :D
All finished, lets eat

Sorry, no plate shot, too darn hungry.

Thanks for looking at The Smokes cooking

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RAD

now that is some good looking bones.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Pappymn

Spares in the new old or is it the old new smoker and a little tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
What a great post. Thanks for taking the time. Great looking chow too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Spares in the new old or is it the old new smoker and a little tutorial
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:00:56 PM »
Awesome and entertaining post Smoke!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:30:04 AM »
Good looking bones.  Sense of pride when you have nothing coming out of the smokestack.  Keep the cooks coming.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »
Excellent explanation about clean burning smoke, Who else better qualified than "The Smoke"!!  Awesome lookin Ribs!!! :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 09:04:37 AM »
Excellent explanation about clean burning smoke, Who else better qualified than "The Smoke"!!  Awesome lookin Ribs!!! :thumbup:

The late D-Holly gave me that nickname a while back, I think of him when ever I use it..........

Another member here just calls me The Sheriff

So you can call me: Smokeasaurus, The Smoke, The Sheriff  just don't call me late for supper  :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »
Looks sooooo good Smoke! 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
Such a great lesson in managing the fire and smoke, Smoke.
That's how I set up the Pecos, but I usually use 2 splits at a time.  Another variable I have to consider is the age of the wood.  I like it aged about 4 to 6 months.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 10:00:56 AM »
The Pecos firebox is the perfect size for the smoking chamber. Mine has a pretty oversize fire-box in relation to the smoker chamber. I think it was made larger because it is also a grilling firebox.

If I did two splits I betcha I would be around 350-375........which would not be bad for poultry........

The Western Wood splits from Academy are kiln dried and I really like the consistent burn I get from bag to bag.

Smoke on Backyard Jack.  :)   
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven