Author Topic: Info on the Savannah Stoker  (Read 38099 times)

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

Info on the Savannah Stoker
« Reply #-1 on: February 15, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »
The Savannah Stoker is a PID based artificial intelligent temperature controller that allows you to control your wood pellet grill with “simplicity but infinite control”.

Manual can be found here. Updated 4-04-13.

Will it work on my grill?

The Savannah Stoker is a direct replacement temperature controller for Traeger Wood Pellet Grills: Texas, Lil’ Tex, Lil’ Tex Elite, Select, BBQ Deluxe 100, XL, BBQ 100, BBQ 124, BBQ 125/126, COM 190/200 (with an option relay). Maybe compatible with other Traeger models; will not fit in the Traeger Junior or the PTG. All models of the Blaz’n Grills Works Wood Pellet Grills, Royall Wood Pellet Grills (except the tailgater), Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro, Pro Smoker ‘n Roaster BBQ 100, Dreamwerk Smokers. The Savannah Stoker maybe compatible with other wood pellet grills but may requiring modifications to the grill or wiring connectors.  The controller has the same screw pattern and uses the same molex connectors as the Traeger or Ortech controller. It requires a depth of 4". More grills are being tested and will be added in the future.

How to purchase.
Until our website goes live email savannahstoker@suddenlink.net with your want list, questions  and your PayPal email address.

$169 Controller and one sensor. Specify front or installed version
$19 Extra sensor.
$24 Interconnection cable to the Stoker from Rocks Barbque.
$12 USPS Priority Shipping.

Features
•  Set the desired cooking/smoking temperature from 160°- 550°F or the max temperature your grill can reach in 1° increments.
•  Typical temperature swings are 5-10°F when cooking above 250°F and 10-15°F when smoking below 225°F.
•  Movable Temperature Sensor. Know what the grate level cooking temperature is; place the sensor there.
•  Optional hardwired permanent installed temperature sensor.
•  Grill cool-down cycle. The fan runs for 20-25 minutes after the grill is turned off to cool the grill down.
•  2 Speed Fan selectable by the user. Low for Smoking; High for cooking. 
•  Auger Bypass. Press a button and the auger runs 100% to get to grilling temperatures faster.
•  Optional interface with the STOKER® Power Draft System from Rocks Bar-B-Que. Add the features of the STOKER like remote temperature control and monitoring from a computer or Smartphone or graph the cook with StokerLog running on a PC. Requires an optional cable available from us. The STOKER® Power Draft System is available from http://www.rocksbarbque.com

StokerLog is a PC Application written by Amir Majidimehr that can be used as an alternate to the STOKER’s web browser interface. StokerLog adds many features: Learns the characteristics of your barbecue; Chart and save your cook data; Set alarms on your computer; Ramp temperatures up/down by time or food temperature; and more. The author posts on the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board http://tvwbb.com in the Automatic Temperature Control Systems area. Discussion and download information is found there.

StokeMaster and BBQ Monitor are iPhone Apps used to monitor and make changes to the STOKER.

Savannah Stoker on a Traeger Texas Grill with the front connected sensor.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:27:20 AM by BMerrill »

Offline Sam3

Re: Info on the Savannah Stoker
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:37:49 PM »
That's cool, I've seen this on another site too.
Glad you're a sponser here now. You offer a great product, I really like what Savannah Smoker did with his Royall.
Me personally, not a pellet smoker owner....at least not yet.  ???  ;D
Wishing you much success with the Savannah Stoker!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:41:54 PM by Sam3 »
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:40:19 PM »
Glad to see your a sponsor of the site.   Cool gadget, wonder how it would work with my TCS (infrared smoker?)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
Are you working on a conversion for the Traeger PTG?

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »
It seems as if all you pelletheads always need to change the controllers out on those cookers.  Doesn't any pellet grill company put in a quality controller?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:12:19 PM »
It seems as if all you pelletheads always need to change the controllers out on those cookers.  Doesn't any pellet grill company put in a quality controller?

The lower end model pellet grills like a Traeger do not use a smart controller like a PID. The Savannah Stoker offers a plug-n-play option to upgrade at a reasonable cost. Then the controller even takes it further when matched with a Rock's Stoker to allow you to monitor your cooks via wi-fi. Even adjust the temperature when your not home. Great way to upgrade your pellet grill.

There are many people who cook on their Traeger with a standard controller and are happy. Then there are others who are always looking to modify their grills and make them better. The Savannah Stoker answers that request for Traeger owners and other pellet grills that use the Ortech design controller.

Higher end pellet grills like MAK, Memphis, Yoder, GMG, etc use better controllers that are smart and do not need to be upgraded.

Nice to see you as a sponsor here Bill ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:15:19 AM »
Good info.  Thanks Muebe.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »

The lower end model pellet grills like a Traeger do not use a smart controller like a PID. The Savannah Stoker offers a plug-n-play option to upgrade at a reasonable cost. Then the controller even takes it further when matched with a Rock's Stoker to allow you to monitor your cooks via wi-fi. Even adjust the temperature when your not home. Great way to upgrade your pellet grill.

There are many people who cook on their Traeger with a standard controller and are happy. Then there are others who are always looking to modify their grills and make them better. The Savannah Stoker answers that request for Traeger owners and other pellet grills that use the Ortech design controller.

Higher end pellet grills like MAK, Memphis, Yoder, GMG, etc use better controllers that are smart and do not need to be upgraded.

Nice to see you as a sponsor here Bill ;)

The Rec Tec uses the same controller as the Memphis and holds temps within +/- 2 degrees.........rock solid temp control....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »

The answer I received from Bill a while back was NO ... it will not physically fit in the PTG.  There isn't much room.  Here you can see the cramped space after I installed my PID.

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »
Thanks Pete :)

Offline PepperMike

Testing my new Savannah Stoker controller
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 08:05:58 PM »
.... My first run with the new controller... Running a data-logger to check the differences in temp swing with the fan low vs. high. No time tomorrow for brisket, but will cook up four whole chickens.
ProSmoker 100SS
Traeger Executive 125
Green Mountain Jim Bowie
Old Reliable: GoodOne Model 60

Offline DK117

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »
While I'm quite jealous of Billy cooking skills (BBQ pitmaster anyone?) and technical expertise, I've found my Traeger to be acceptable with the stock controller.  I'm very much considering a Savannah Stoker upgrate as a interim step before a Mak or Memphis or FE.   This is a solid dollars and cents solution and logical path prior to investing big bucks in a higher end pit.

DK117
Traeger Texas 075
Vermont Castings Signature Series Natural Gas Grill

Offline Murse20

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »
Anyone know if this think Is compatible with the outdoor gourmet pellet grill?????

Offline RickB

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:25 PM »

The answer I received from Bill a while back was NO ... it will not physically fit in the PTG.  There isn't much room.  Here you can see the cramped space after I installed my PID.

How do you like the ptg? Worth the investment?

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 09:30:18 PM »

How do you like the ptg? Worth the investment?

Send me a PM Rick so I don't step on this thread  ;D  ;)  I'll be glad to share my opinion.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG