Author Topic: Camp Chef Pellet Grill  (Read 42477 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Camp Chef Pellet Grill
« Reply #-1 on: June 29, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
As you all know Simi Pellet Grills is now a proud dealer of Camp Chef. The first delivery of Camp Chefs pellet grill has arrived and Eric is sold out with more on order. I am fortunate to have one to do an in-depth product review. Camp Chef states that the grill was designed with the backyard griller in mind and they don't get more backyard than old Smoke. :D

This will be a locked thread. I will be adding pictures and details on certain stages of testing as I go along. Over at the Pellet Grill Outfitters forum sponsor section we will have a Question and Answer thread where I or Eric can answer all questions and inquiries. Here is the link for the Q & A thread  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=4738.0

Now this is quite an honor and responsibility for me to do a test review on one of Simi Pellet Grills latest pellet grills so I need a helper........

I give you:      "Camp Chef" Smoochy!!

On with the review  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 09:31:13 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Camp Chef Pellet Grill
« on: June 29, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »
Lets start off with the official Camp Chef description

Description
Take your outdoor cooking to the next level with the Camp Chef Pellet Grill and Smoker. Designed with the home griller in mind, built-in features simplify the process of smoking. The included digital temperature readout takes the guesswork out of the cooking process. The Pellet Grill and Smoker features range from innovative digital smoker controls to dual temperature sensors. Discover the real secret of award winning BBQ cooks, low and slow smoking.
Features

Electronic auto-start ignition
    Dual LED temperature readout: internal cooking temps and internal food temps
    Easily choose your smoke setting or desired temperature
    Automatic pellet auger dispenses when needed and shuts down when done
    Stainless steel probe measures internal food temperature
    Built in sensor gauge reads cooking temperature
    Included warming rack provides additional space to cook your favorite foods
    Clean-out ash can makes clean up simple
    Large capacity pellet hopper means less filling, more smoking
    Included recipe booklet simplifies the learning curve

Product Specifications:

Grilling Area Dimensions: 19.5" x 22"
    Smoking/Warming Rack Dimensions: 6" x 24"
    Total Rack Surface Area: 560 sq. in
    Hopper Capacity: 20 lbs. of pellets
    Cooking Height: 32.5"
    Overall weight: 127 lbs.

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »
The grill was packaged about as nice as it gets. This grill will be safe and sound whether shipped around the block or shipped coast to coast.

Got everything set out for assembly. All that needs to be assembled is 4 legs the handle and the chimney and side shelve.
Everything lines up just perfectly and assembly is a breeze.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »
Here are photos of the grill at different angles and fully assembled...........

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
The grill is now assembled and I now have to read the nice instruction manual. The manual also has some recipes to get you started....nice.

The initial impressions of the Camp Chef Pellet Grill after assembly:  It is clear to me that Camp Chef did their homework when designing this grill. I would say this grill fits into the Green Mountain range. The powder coated finish of the CCPG (Camp Chef Pellet Grill) is far superior to some of the other pellet grills I have seen. The fit and finish of this grill is outstanding. The door fits nice. The drip pan slips in far easier than any pellet grill that I know of (I used to dread taking out and putting in the drip pan in my GMG). The drip pan also has a nice slope to it for grease run off. The cooking grate is full length (not two sections), the heat diffuser and drip pan is heavy duty stainless steel. The fire pot is thick beefy stainless as well. The clean out rod pulls out and in very smoothly. Would you expect anything less from Camp Chef?

I thought this was going to be an entry level grill but the quality and fit and finish surprised me  :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:35:58 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
A couple more features I forgot to show:

The port for the probe to check your meat

The top door of the hopper has a border around it to make the hopper top another side shelve
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
I read the manual from front to back and it is time to feed the auger. The controller has a feed button so all I had to do was switch the grill on,,,nothing will happen until you turn the dial. I had the drip pan and heat deflector out so I could see the pellets get to the opening of the auger. I switched the dial to feed and in 3 minutes I got this:

Camp Chef recommends a break in burn of 350 degrees for 30 minutes. The pit reached 350 in 21 minutes and for the 30 minutes it ran between 359 and 344.......... The smoke was heavy early in the start up and then none as the pit climbed toward the 350 target temp.

First smoke:

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »
Cleaning this grill cant be easier. The Mfg recommends vacuuming out the ashes every 1 -2 months. The fire pot bottom just pulls out and you are ready for the next cook.

I did have a problem pulling the fire pot bottom out. I think it could be from the metal heating up for the first time. I had to take out the diffuser and use a channel lock on the rod to break it free....will let everyone know if this happens again.

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 08:28:29 PM »
We have just completed the first round of pellet consumption testing. This first round was done using the 225 smoke temperature setting.

4 tests were done using 4 different types of pellets. -3- of the pellets were blended pellets and -1- was 100% Oak. The names of the pellets will not be disclosed because we have a couple of pellet forum sponsors here and some of them might have been used or maybe some of them were not. We are not really testing pellet performance but the grill itself.

During testing there was 6 lbs in the hopper and the grill was never in direct sunlight. The lid to the smoker was never opened during testing.

The grill reached target temp of 225 in an average of 12.5 minutes.

The Camp Chef Pellet Grill is pretty frugal with consumption at the 225 setting. The average consumption rate between the -4- different pellets was .71 of a lb an hour.

There was periods of heavy intermittent smoke throughout the tests. It appears to us that Camp Chef has listened to consumers wishing their pellet grill had more smoke. You will not need a added smoke source with this grill at the 225 and the hi and or lo smoke settings.

Now if you are looking for tight temp readings you might not be happy. This grill appears to be designed with the swings to increase the amounts of smoke it produces. Min/Max throughout the 225 testing was 245/210.

The right side of the pit is cooler than the left side by about 15 degrees. This is probably because of the smokestack being mounted on the back wall of the grill. More internal grate temp testing will be done.

In summary, lots of smoke and very good pellet consumption........this grill is off to a good start.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 12:16:11 AM »
Pellet consumption testing at 250 degrees.

Average rate of pellets used an hour is .86 of a lb and yes we still had intermittent periods of good smoke throughout the test. Camp Chef calls this pit a Pellet Grill and Smoker and they mean it.  :)

Again, I used the -4- different pellets consisting of -3- blended pellets and -1- pure oak.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 12:18:47 AM »
I was getting the Camp Chef pellet grill and smoker wiped down and prepped for the next pellet consumption test and I discovered another feature that I had missed.

There is a channel that the hopper lid sits in and I noticed a little hole in the corner. I figure if the grill gets caught in the rain, this little hole would let water drain out of the channel and not overflow into the hopper. i tell ya, Camp Chef put some thought into this little gem of a pellet grill  :)

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 12:24:36 AM »
A lid mounted thermometer has been placed on the right side of the Camp Chef Pellet grill. A Maverick lead was placed on the cooking grate right next to the pits thermo on the left side.

Here are the observations I just sent Eric....hey, we are not hiding anything from ya on this evaluation:

The pit ran between 261 and 219 with the roller coaster swings and you guessed it...lots of smoke!!

But the temps inside the pit were a different story:

When the CC controller said 250 the maverick probe that was right next to the CC thermo said 237 and the thermo mounted in the lid on the far right side said 232

the swings inside the pit was the maverick  241/234  and the mounted thermo 240/225

The temp settings on the controller dial seem to be 20 degrees under what they should be.

It seems each temp setting on the dial has a range programmed in so we get smoke at all the settings because the pit smoked real good again.

The pit temps were much more stable. While the controller temps were going between 261 and 219 the maverick and the mounted thermo were holding pretty tight with only 5 degree swings. The right side of the pit is absolutely cooler than the left side by about 10 degrees. I think this is due to the fact that the smokestack is mounted on the back wall and the heat and smoke has to search for its exit out of the cooking chamber.

the actual readings in the pit are about 16 degrees different than what the controller says.

i still feel that Camp Chef is addressing the need for smoke and is not concerned about holding very stable temps.

When I start cooking I am going to set my settings 1 notch above my desired temp I want to cook at. If I want 225, I will set the temp for 250.......and so on.

I think the food is still going to come out great but some people are so caught up on rock solid temps they might be turned off by the temp readings.  I for one am not to worried. My current pellet grill has temp swings and I have not had a bad meal off of it.

Tomorrows first 300 degree test will have the maverick probe in the center of the cooking grate.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 12:39:54 AM »
One other observation. The early pictures Camp Chef released of this grill looks smaller than the actual grill. i would say that it is about the size of a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. The cooking grate will hold -2- full briskets and -4- pork butts. You could probably squeeze -4- spare ribs laying down flat vertically, because the grate is 19.5 " deep. A GMG Daniel Boone second shelf fits up against the Camp Chef second shelve and you could probably get -3- more racks of ribs up top. This grill will cook for a crowd and not clutter up your patio.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »
Today was the first of the 300 degree pellet consumption tests and the Camp Chef Grill and Smoker surprised me today. I had very tight temps throughout the test and still had periods of smoke.....nice

Here is the report I sent to Eric:

300 degree test today with 5 lbs in the hopper.

test ran for 4.5 hours with a burn rate of 1.1 lbs an hour

The grill ran completely different at the 300 setting. I had very tight temperatures throughout the test.

i placed the Maverick probe in the dead center of the cooking grate.

Here are some examples of the temps throughout the test

CC Controller          Maverick          Thermo in the right side of the lid

309                        289                                  275

307                        291                                  280

295                        289                                 280

308                       295                                290

Min/Max

312/295                297/285                           290/275

and we still got smoke!!  Nothing like the 225 tests but there are still periods of smoke. At 300 degrees to get periods of smoke is huge.

This grill is full of surprises, i expected no smoke and temp swings and I got smoke and tight temps throughout the entire grill. Pretty good consumption at 300 as well. I figure 300 is the line where you can throw pellet consumption out the window.......

The 300 degree tests will continue next weekend.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
The 300 degree pellet consumption tests are finished. All -4- pellets pretty much had the same results with an average pellet consumption rate of 1.1 lbs an hour at 300 degrees. There were still periods of noticeable smoke at this higher heat setting.

I have done a total of -9- pellet consumption tests over the last two weeks and the pellet consumption seems to be pretty good. I can only compare it to my Yoder and my brothers Rec Tec. The Camp Chef uses pellets about the same as the Rec Tec and blows the Yoder away by burning 50% less an hour on average.....

225 degrees the grill consumes about .73 of a lb an hour

250 degrees the grill consumes about .81 of a lb an hour

300 degrees the grill consumes about 1.1 of a lb an hour

Good amounts of smoke at all of these heat settings.

The grill runs very nice. Comes to temp rather quickly and lots of nice smoke. The fan is not overly noisy and you can hear the auger motor when it comes on and I have always found that nice so I know everything is working.

So far, so good...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven