Author Topic: NEW PRODUCT!  (Read 56450 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: NEW PRODUCT!
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2017, 09:58:29 AM »
Tee, which of the rubs would be considered All Purpose?

Fine Swine and Bovine without a doubt
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2017, 10:32:33 AM »
Tee, which of the rubs would be considered All Purpose?

All purpose is a very generous term...

I guess I would ask if you mean all purpose in terms of BBQ flavors? - That would be the Fine Swine and Bovine. But it favors pork and chicken, because it is more of a Kansas City style rub, in that it contains some spices a sugars that give it a mild sweet tone. Because of the sugars, use it over in-direct heat sources to prevent scorching. Mix it with whipped cream cheese - and you have a great dip!

For Chicken, Beef, Pork and Seafood - try the Way Out West Trail Dust. It is composed of dehydrated veggies and herbs and a tiny bit of salt. Almost a health food - ;D no sugars and can take direct grilling without scorching. Mix with plain yogurt, and apply to lamb, beef, pork, or chicken - and it will tenderize AND flavor. Very savory, garden like flavors and aromas. Mix with oil and apple cider vinegar ( see instructions on bottle) ands to marinade steaks and chops. Rub it on an lightly oiled chicken, and roast over charcoal...( Personal favorite  :) )

But - the more specialized rubs like Mo' Rockin' Chicken are interesting too. If you are familiar with the flavors and aromas of Jamaican jerk chicken - what you are smelling and tasting are the heritage of many Jamaican's cultural ancestry - that of their progenitors coming form - or thru - north Africa. Morocco being a large culinary influence in that region, they brought much of that in their forced journey to the New World, including Jamaica. Mo' Rockin Rub is a milder, more broadly enjoyable homage to the flavors of N. Africa.

And...we can't leave out Super Pig - if only for entertainment value :D. It is a shelf stable version of a "Pig Candy" shake on for bacon - originally...*BUT*...this rub has been used on pork ribs as a competition rub, and it has won money ;).

Then....we make many private label products, and are constantly experimenting.The one mentioned by Smoke in a post or two above this one is an example. It will be a beef - or heavy red meat specific rub.

The one thing you can count on is that we focus on never using ingredients that are listed as potential allergens with the FDA/USDA.( No corn,soy, wheat - no glutens of any kind, no nuts of any kind, etc..) We strive to use the freshest ingredients from "clean" sources. And I try to formulate everything with a lower salt content than almost any others out there. You can add more salt if you wish, we just try to focus on flavor and aroma. Salt is the cheapest way to bulk up weight on a product - and reduce the manufacturer's cost.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Subvet

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
Well tee, you wrote a book of knowledge for illiterate me.  :)  I'm still fairly inexperienced at the grilling and smoking fun. I run across videos and articles where they say to first apply an AP (all purpose) rub and then apply another more specific rub over that. All I speak is Texican so that sounds Greek to me. Thanks for the heads up on uses for the rubs. Will give some a try.
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2017, 11:16:21 AM »
 :D :D :D
You give me too much credit SV ;D...I am just a food geek with a weird set of tastebuds.
Hey there are many ways to make good food - and the few that I might consider "bad"...are someone else's ''perfect"...

But - from a practical standpoint, our tastebuds can only detect a few things at a time, and keep them definable as separate tastes. Not the there is anything wrong with multiple rub applications. What happens is we then interpret all those different flavors as something new as a combination flavor. We all love certain things like that. Example: Bananas and peanut butter - vs- peanut butter and chocolate - vs - chocolate an peanut butter .You taste all of these and you brain identifies them as "familiar" - but it can identify them as separates...and - it can recognize the differences of each combination. And when you combine the 3 elements peanut butter/chocolate/banana - it becomes another different taste signature.

Sometimes , I will apply a little bit of mustard, or mayo - or olive oil to a pice of meat ( the choice is yours - I allow the type of meat to influence which of those I use ...) and then a little salt, cracked black pepper, and maybe garlic and paprika. That is a good basic brisket rub - to me.....and then I may throw some Way Out West for some additional aroma and tastes.

It is all in the fun and creativity that you feel is right.  ;) 8)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Subvet

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2017, 01:59:38 PM »
You had to mention those taste combos so now I've got to head to the store. I'm suddenly craving a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a nice slaver of mayo and a cold glass of milk.  ;D

If a salt and pepper rub on a brisket is good enough for tee, Coopers and Franklin's its good enough for me.

My wife read your post on the different spices. When she saw they had low salt she gave a thumbs up and said "someone finally gets it. Order some today."  :) :) Of course I said, yes ma'am.   ;) ;)

-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »
Hey "T"! I need to order some more " fine Swine " I lost EVERY number I had on my cell phone last year! Do you still have my #?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »
You had to mention those taste combos so now I've got to head to the store. I'm suddenly craving a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a nice slaver of mayo and a cold glass of milk.  ;D

If a salt and pepper rub on a brisket is good enough for tee, Coopers and Franklin's its good enough for me.

My wife read your post on the different spices. When she saw they had low salt she gave a thumbs up and said "someone finally gets it. Order some today."  :) :) Of course I said, yes ma'am.   ;) ;)

Let us know how the Mrs. liked them... :)

Hey "T"! I need to order some more " fine Swine " I lost EVERY number I had on my cell phone last year! Do you still have my #?

e-mail sent!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Subvet

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2017, 11:16:07 AM »

Let us know how the Mrs. liked them... :)

e-mail sent!

Happy to report the wife likes all the spices we ordered. Her favorite is Savor-All especially on veggies or a salad. I like all of them too but I'm attached at the hip with Fine Swine and Bovine.
 :thumbup: :D :thumbup:
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline stalag

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2017, 02:01:52 PM »
Is the OP going to the Ohio 2017 gathering and bringing samples/product with him to try and/or buy?
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2017, 11:26:16 PM »

and then a little salt, cracked black pepper, and maybe garlic and paprika. That is a good basic brisket rub - to me.....and then I may throw some Way Out West for some additional aroma and tastes.

It is all in the fun and creativity that you feel is right.  ;) 8)

I was looking into some ideas for a brisket rub with a smoke coming up with some well priced packers.  Your comment above reminded me of the recent recipe I used for brisket - I used kosher salt, smoked Hungarian paprika, cracked black pepper, garlic and actually added some cayenne pepper.  When I did the original smoke, I was not paying close enough attention to the recipe and added the cayenne.  Turns out that was a good mistake to make.  As you mentioned - it added another layer of flavor.

Now, to make a stop by the website to get some ideas...