Author Topic: Smoked & Braised Black Porter Beef  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Smoked & Braised Black Porter Beef
« Reply #-1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:39:26 PM »
May 22 2016

My wife is in the Little Sister program at school. She goes twice a month to eat lunch with a 6th grader. For the end of the year they had a bus trip to see a minor league ball game so she was gone most of the day.

I had bought a chuck roast, just less than 3 pounds and wanted to do it today. I had done one this winter using black porter beer in the Crockpot that was good. I decided I would smoke it for 2 hours then sear it in a CI skillet and then in a Crockpot to braise all afternoon in the beer.

Last night I placed the roast on a rack and coated both sides with kosher salt. It was in the fridge just over 8 hours for a little dry cure. This morning I added some ground coffee and ground black pepper to both sides. It went on my Traeger at 190 deg. for two hours of smoke.

I had to cut the small piece off to get it in the skillet and seared both pieces in a little grape seed oil 3 minutes per side. I let it rest while I used the skillet to sauté some onions and garlic.

I coarsely chopped 2 ½ med. sized Vidalia onions and 4 cloves of minced garlic. They went in the skillet with a pat of butter, salt and pepper and cooked until the onions were just getting a little brown. I then added just enough of the beer to deglaze the skillet and then poured all into a Crockpot. I placed the roast on top; I just had enough room for one layer after cutting the small piece in half.

I added my Deschutse Black Porter to come near the top of the roast. It was on high about 45 minutes and then went to low for 6 hours. I skimmed off most of the fat then I removed the meat and was so tender had to use a spatula. I removed most of the fat, did a coarse chop and back into the pot and turned it to high while I made a side.

As is this would make a great French dip served on a crusty roll. I had some COWB, cheap ole white buns, on hand so that’s what I used for my sandwich. I had some Fiesta lime corn left for a side. I first coated my bun with some olive oil and toasted in the skillet. Then I diced a slice of bacon some onions and green peppers. When the bacon was getting brown I added the onions and pepper and then the corn and fried for a while.

I had a big scoop of the beef on my sandwich with some mustard and the corn on the side. That was a mighty good sandwich! I think the coffee did add to the flavor.

When my wife got home she was still a little hungry so she had a small bowl of the beef and what corn was left. I asked what she thought of the beef and she said great flavor!

I know it's a lot of pics but that beef went through a lot to get to my stomach!

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Smoked & Braised Black Porter Beef
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:08:08 AM »
Don that looks really good! I love everything about this meal!

I currently have some Deschutes Black Porter in the fridge along with their Citrus blend. My favorite of their's is the Fresh Squeezed IPA. It is an easy drinking IPA (around 6%) with all the flavor.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:14:10 AM »
Great plate of food Don!

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
As I said before I want to be Don to be my friendly neighbor.
Good meal.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »
 Bookmarked!  Looks great!  Don
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »
Wow, that looks good ! ! !

I only have one question . . . . it relates to cooking liquids . . . . I've always heard (and so consequently this is what I do) that you should not cook with a wine that you would not drink . . . . So, I've always assumed tha the sa,e would be true for beer.

If so, I'm a little lost

You cook with

You drink

Just got spun around there for minute ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Pappymn

Smoked & Braised Black Porter Beef
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:16:12 PM »
Killer plate of food
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 09:31:16 PM »
Wow, that looks good ! ! !

I only have one question . . . . it relates to cooking liquids . . . . I've always heard (and so consequently this is what I do) that you should not cook with a wine that you would not drink . . . . So, I've always assumed tha the sa,e would be true for beer.

If so, I'm a little lost

You cook with

You drink

Just got spun around there for minute ! ! !

BD
I do cook with Keystone if I use a lager beer. Keystone is my everyday beer and I like all kinds of craft beers at times. If you want to pay my beer tab then I'll drink good craft beer all the time!!! :) Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/