Author Topic: Chicken skin rubbery?  (Read 3509 times)

Offline marty22877

Chicken skin rubbery?
« Reply #-1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »
Has this happened to anyone else?  The last 2 cooks the skin on my chicken has been super rubbery, to the point some wont even bite through and I have to pull it off.  It just happened tonight with my wings.  Any idea what's going on?

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Chicken skin rubbery?
« on: August 29, 2016, 08:14:40 PM »
This I have happened before not only on the PBC but on PK,  I think it is related to temp over the duration of the cook. If your low and slow the skin will brown and give you the effect that it is crispy, which it is not. In order to acheive crispy you need to raise the temp over 300 for at least 20-30 minutes which should crisp things up, if not then go longer at higher temp. Hope this helps  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:12:16 AM »
what was the process for your wings?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »
Does seem to me that low temp with skin on makes it rubbery.  Higher Temps and skin turns out better for me.   
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Kona

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:09:51 AM »
My process for wings which I use every time...lighter fluid starting method, at 12 minutes I place the wings on the grate with rebars out. Put the lid on and at 15 minutes I turn them over, replace the lid and wait another 15. At that point I take off the lid and let the heat crank up and flip them till I get the char I like for wings. If I have a sauce I'll sauce them and place back on the grill during that last process as well. My wings are done in 45 mins or less
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:55:09 AM »
Heavily salt the skin of the chicken and place in the open air of the fridge for several hours or overnight is best. This will draw out excessive moisture in the skin.

Then rinse off the salt and season as usually. When cooking the chicken crack the lid the last 10 minutes to raise the temp and help crisp the skin
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
Heavily salt the skin of the chicken and place in the open air of the fridge for several hours or overnight is best. This will draw out excessive moisture in the skin.

Then rinse off the salt and season as usually. When cooking the chicken crack the lid the last 10 minutes to raise the temp and help crisp the skin

What muebe said...and - I have tested the time in the fridge out to 3 days. Don't use much salt if you re going to extend the time in fridge tho. Not needed and the potential of more salt being adsorbed wherever the skin is not covering the meat is the issue. I place chicken on a wire rack, above a foil lined pan. The refrigerator provides more than just cold air: it is a super de-humidifier.  But...the meat will not dry out because the structure of the muscle fiber is designed to hold moisture - where as skin is more permeable/breathable.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline marty22877

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 04:59:33 PM »
i use the chimney method and after 12 min i put the wings on with the rebar.  i wait 45 min and then season the wings with the sauce, then put them back in and leave the rebar out.  wait 15 min and flip. then wait another 15 min and take the lid off and let it cook for 5-10 min a side.  i'm thinking i just need to keep the rebar out the whole time.

Offline Kona

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »
These are some I did recently using the method I mentioned. They are always juicy and pretty darn tender, the meat pulls very easy from the bone and I love the char on the skin...

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 09:29:57 PM »
Rubbery skin occurs when the temp is too low, when chicken first hits the grill. What happens is the temp is enough to start rendering the fat out. Once that fat is rendered and the heat wasn't high enough to brown it will remain rubbery. That's a theory not fact
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 07:48:59 AM »
It took me a while to figure it out but now whenever I do chicken or turkey or anything that I want a good crust on, I add a tablespoon of corn starch to my rub.  Then I coat my product and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours or even overnight.  Works better than salt and there is not taste to influence your rub profile.  Best trick I ever learned.  Works great on steak too!

Offline marty22877

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
My process for wings which I use every time...lighter fluid starting method, at 12 minutes I place the wings on the grate with rebars out. Put the lid on and at 15 minutes I turn them over, replace the lid and wait another 15. At that point I take off the lid and let the heat crank up and flip them till I get the char I like for wings. If I have a sauce I'll sauce them and place back on the grill during that last process as well. My wings are done in 45 mins or less

i did process this weekend and the wings came out great.  thanks for the tip

Offline Kona

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 05:14:26 PM »

i did process this weekend and the wings came out great.  thanks for the tip

No Problem, that's the only way I do my wings  8)
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC