Author Topic: Pork Loin Roast on the PBC?  (Read 6333 times)

Offline DonR9

Pork Loin Roast on the PBC?
« Reply #-1 on: December 01, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »
I'm thinking this might go well on the PBC. Perhaps in a cast iron skillet atop the cooking grate? (Which would provide juice for a reduction sauce). I'll give it a try in the next couple of days and report back

http://bit.ly/1LM8uPw
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline jjjonz

Re: Pork Loin Roast on the PBC?
« on: December 01, 2015, 08:39:58 PM »
I will be waiting on the results.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 02:45:53 AM »
Please do, I'm interested in seeing this.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:44:29 AM »
I'm thinking this might go well on the PBC. Perhaps in a cast iron skillet atop the cooking grate? (Which would provide juice for a reduction sauce). I'll give it a try in the next couple of days and report back

Don I have been experimenting with my PBC during turkey season....And - here is something to consider: any meat will roast better if not actually in the pan - but exposed to the hot air currents and any smoke desired.
SO - if you have 2 grates for your PBC ( I am pretty sure a Weber style grate will work...Lowe's HD, or similar...better yet - order the new split grate from PBC!) - place one grate in the PBC - then place a pan ( disposable foil pans can be cut and shaped to your needs...) in the center on that grate. Now - using 3 paver bricks, placed at the 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and 6 o'clock positions on the rim of the grate. Now- place a second grate on top. Set he roast directly above the drip pan - to catch drippings ( good to add aromatics, broth, beer, wine or whatever you like for some steaming flavors...)

If you can't find pavers to fit - use any temperature save materials - including tightly balled up aluminum foil to create the correct size "spacers" you need for supporting the second ( or top) rack.

Wish I had some pictures for you. I have been busier than usual this season. The wife broke her foot in 3 places ( she kicked me where I carry my wallet :D :D :D  - just kidding..)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline DonR9

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
I like this idea. I do know that meat roasts better if not in a pan, but hadn't thought of a way around that – until your idea of pavers. I've got some that I occasionally use to fence in a smaller amount of charcoal in the basket. So, I'll experiment with them. Thanks again for the suggestion

Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 02:34:07 PM »

Don I have been experimenting with my PBC during turkey season....And - here is something to consider: any meat will roast better if not actually in the pan - but exposed to the hot air currents and any smoke desired.
SO - if you have 2 grates for your PBC ( I am pretty sure a Weber style grate will work...Lowe's HD, or similar...better yet - order the new split grate from PBC!) - place one grate in the PBC - then place a pan ( disposable foil pans can be cut and shaped to your needs...) in the center on that grate. Now - using 3 paver bricks, placed at the 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and 6 o'clock positions on the rim of the grate. Now- place a second grate on top. Set he roast directly above the drip pan - to catch drippings ( good to add aromatics, broth, beer, wine or whatever you like for some steaming flavors...)

If you can't find pavers to fit - use any temperature save materials - including tightly balled up aluminum foil to create the correct size "spacers" you need for supporting the second ( or top) rack.

Wish I had some pictures for you. I have been busier than usual this season. The wife broke her foot in 3 places ( she kicked me where I carry my wallet :D :D :D  - just kidding..)

No pictures? Must be a unicorn idea :P

I kid I kid, that's actually a really good idea, not can't be anything too "tall"
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:54:39 PM »
Ya got me...a "Unicorn tip!"... :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline DonR9

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 12:57:01 PM »
I rest my case:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 01:21:05 PM »
That is a fine looking Loin Roast Don! Congrats. You are really getting a handle on your PBC. Glad to see you growing in confidence, and cooking some great grub!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 04:03:33 PM »
Looks excellent Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »
Oh yea !!!! :P
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 10:16:05 PM »
Very Nice  :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 10:25:45 PM »
DonR9
Nice looking roast and the rib or roast rack over the pan was a good method to catch drippings. Looks like you also had a nice crust around the outside of the roast.  Did you turn/ rotate the roast during the during the cook?  8)  8)
Chief Mac
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline DonR9

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »
DonR9
Nice looking roast and the rib or roast rack over the pan was a good method to catch drippings. Looks like you also had a nice crust around the outside of the roast.  Did you turn/ rotate the roast during the during the cook?  8)  8)
Chief Mac

No, I did not turn it. I used a Thermoworks probe with the alarm set at 145 degrees. Since the original recipe called for an oven temp of 400 degrees, I didn't put the rebar in place and the PBC ran at around 380 or so. I did put the herb mix in the pocket between the rib bones and the loin, but on the outside I used a pork rub I purchased at my local Safeway. It was a 5 rib roast and it took just over 3 hours to get to temp. It came out just as I hoped it would. Even the dog was happy, since there's just my wife and me. Meaning there we had plenty of leftovers for both the two of us and for the dog.

Offline muralboy

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Great looking roast!
Keep Calm And Smoke On