Author Topic: 1st Cook on PBC Less Than Thrilled (It is all my fault though)  (Read 5702 times)

Offline rickmort

1st Cook on PBC Less Than Thrilled (It is all my fault though)
« Reply #-1 on: December 12, 2015, 11:37:18 PM »
I have been looking at the PBC for quite some time because with my backyard projects it was never the right time.

I finally bought one 2 weeks before Thanksgiving this year and the thanksgiving turkey was my first smoke on it.  The turkey was dry did not look appetising when I took it out, tasted overwhelmingly like charcoal grease.  I am fairly certain it is all my fault just (if for no reason other than making my first cook thanksgiving dinner).  Here is what I did below.  If you folks can take a look tell me where I may have gone wrong, I'd appreciate it.  I think for starters I caused way to much smoke fog...

damper open 1/4 as I am under 2000ft
used both rebar
turkey was a free range turkey (I think contributed to the toughness)
I wet brined the turkey. (think this was a major cause)
I used the new turkey hanger
I soaked a lot of apple wood chips overnight in water.
I used Kingsford Blue, full basket and started about 40 briquettes
after 20 minutes evenly dumped the charcoal in
layed a nice layer of the soaked wood chips on the charcoal (think this was a major cause)

My theory is that the wetness of the wood chips and the wet brine of the turkey caused to much moisture to fall on the charcoal throughout the cook, causing major smoke fog throughout.  I also believe that the toughness of the bird could be attributed to the fact that I used a free range bird, rather than what I usually get just a butterball.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Below are pics of the smoke fog that was always present (I did smoke with the lid on), and then the finished product (not what I expected).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:45:49 PM by rickmort »

Offline man_of_magic

• "Smoking Permitted"
« on: December 13, 2015, 02:19:49 AM »
No worries first cooks are to practise :). PBC needs dry wood chunks(if using wood), works best with dry brined birds and needs a very hot starting temp. Drippings will cool down the barrel enough to get the smoke thing going and cook the meat evenly.  By the end (check internal temp.) crack the lid for about 20 mins. Or so to crisp the skin.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9515 met Tapatalk

WGA | OTP 57 | Cast Iron | Smokenator | Grillgrates | Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
Re: 1st Cook on PBC Less Than Thrilled (It is all my fault though)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:53:05 AM »
Hi  Don't worry You know it happens to all of us that a combination of few things will destroy a meal .
i don't smoke with a PBC . but i have few questions what was the temperature in the smoker ( i found that the best temp for smoking turkey is 350f ) , was there a pane to catch the dripping of the fat ? I don't use wet wood chips because the wood chips must dry first (moist ) before they give smoke , but some people swear by this way .
Most of my birds that i smoke i first brine them .
From the photo it looks to me you have a wood problem you got too much smoke .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
Hi, Don't worry You know it happens to all of us that a combination of few things will destroy a meal .
i don't smoke with a PBC . but i have few questions what was the temperature in the smoker ( i found that the best temp for smoking turkey is 350f ) , was there a pane to catch the dripping of the fat ? I don't use wet wood chips because the wood chips must dry first (moist ) before they give smoke , but some people swear by this way .
Most of my birds that i smoke i first brine them .
From the photo it looks to me you have a wood problem you got too much smoke .
I think Arhon has some very good advice here - especially about soaking the wood. Also, the PBC was (I believe) NOT designed as a smoker or a replacement to a UDS. It was created to be a unique player in the outdoor cooking arena - offering it's own version of cooking. Having said that, I realize many folks (on here and elsewhere) have successfully used it as a smoker. For me - I like to use it per Noah's recco's and videos - it just works. I have a smoker for "smoking" and a grill for "grilling." I like my PBC for "PBC'ing." It is wonderful for poultry, briskets, pulled pork, etc. A different flavor from "smoking, or grilling" And that is nice to keep things mixed up in the weekly cooking plans.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline rickmort

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 10:13:40 AM »
thanks for the responses, just an indication to me that I came to right place and will hopefully add some value down the road for someone else...

soaking the wood beforehand was a first for me, I never do that and always use dry (have no idea why I tried it for the first time on thanksgiving on a new cooker).
I will have to try dry brining the bird next time or maybe not.  from the PBC videos and I have watched them all multiple times, there seems to be no need for brining...

The internal temp around 275.
there is no water pan or tray to catch the drippings in the PBC.  the drippings from the meat drip on to the charcoal to cool them and create a light smoke fog to enhance the flavor.
I also believe to much smoke was my issue.  I believe the wet chips created more of a smoke than actually necessary/desired.  dry wood chunks next time like I usually do. 

I am going to do some ribs this week for a 2nd cook with Noah's recommendation and explicitly and establish a baseline first instead of trying to get cute right off the bat.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »
The PBC creates a humid environment using the juices of the bird.

Using wet wood chips would create steam and lower the temp of the coals. Not a good thing in the PBC.

Your next cook will turn out much better.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline rickmort

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »
agreed.  the wet chips was a last minute tweak gone awry.  I literally was in bed thanksgiving eve and said, you know maybe I should soak the wood beforehand, got up and did it.  I never do that, and just goes to show you last minute tweaks should be ignored.  lol

Offline viscera912

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »
welcome to the forum!  i promise once you get tuned to your pbc all will be right in the world.  i agree with everyone above about what potentially could have taken place.  in my humble opinion probably the easiest cook is the whole chicken.  that was my first cook and i followed noah's video.  ended up with a fantastic meal and i was quite pleased.  since then ive had my share of failures but ive learned from all of them.  keep playing with it and don't get discouraged!
jason

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 12:00:37 PM »
You got some spot on advice. The PBC is a power cooker..not a 225 lo and slo like it might appear. Your next cook will make you forget all about this one.... :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 12:21:19 PM »
Welcome Rick!

Yes you got some good advice from the folks here. We are all here to help when we can, and learn what we don't know! Don't be discouraged, get another plan together and enjoy!

One thing I'd like to add. Some of us add a bit of smokewood, some don't. But if I was you, I would go "cold-turkey" on the smokewood this next time. Pardon the pun! The PBC lends a unique smokiness to the food cooked on it. Try it with just charcoal and see how you like the flavor. Then if you want, add a chunk of wood the next time. Remember, you can never undo too much smoke! Get a good cook in on the PBC and never look back! Good luck!

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 12:22:41 PM »
On the positive side. Turkeys are pretty cheap. Go get another one and get back on the horse. :)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rickmort

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »
Thanks...Not discouraged, getting back on the turkey.   :P

Yes, I plan to establish a baseline using the methods Noah recommends in the videos then going from there.  I would have done that had the thanksgiving turkey not been the first cook, and wanted to do so much for the first time.

thanks all for the assistance, advice and kind words!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 02:02:19 PM »
Maybe a summation of things that I hope will be of help on your next cook will be useful. Not anything really new, just collated -

1. ALL turkeys unless they specifically say otherwise on the packaging.. are already brined by the turkey processor. This assures more cooks get a juicy bird - and it adds water weight..which you pay for at turkey price per lb. ! ;) So, additional brining really does not help anything, other than make sure the skin is full of moisture.

2. The skin moisture ( mostly water - some fats) is the problem that many face - when their turkey or chicken turns out with rubbery skin. But, in this case it did cause additional problems.

3. The skin that was "bulked up" with the additional wet brine + the wet wood created a good deal of steam. Steam will cause more of the sooty smoke to stick to your bird. 

What seems to wok well for me is to remove a typical bird from he shrink wrap, rinse, remove the bagged innards and neck, and look it over for pin feathers.. Dry it off, and place it on a wire rack above a pan to catch any drips. Place the pan with turkey in a refrigerator for 24 hours - up to 48 will not hurt. The refrigerated air is dry - so it helps the moisture that is in the skin to evaporate. Don't worry - the drying skin continues to act as a barrier for the meat of the bird, and it will remain moist.

So - after the 1-2 days- bring the bird out and set it on the counter - still on the wire rack, and spritz it very lightly with oil. urn it over and repeat on the backside, under the wings, etc. I like to use Pam - as it is canola - and has no taste, but use what you like. Then apply whatever rub or seasonings you desire.

Now - when you are prepping you charcoal allow it to stop producing a lot of white , dense smoke before you put the turkey on. You may want to consider mixing some good quality lump charcoal in with your KBB. It will increase the temp. of your fire. I find the target temp of approx. 325-350F to work best for me. So - I also advise that if you have a 2 channel remote digital thermometer ( Maverick 732, 733, 734 are all great...) And use on probe to monitor pit temp and one in the breast or thigh of the bird. This will help you accurize your cook - and help you learn your pit's cooking personality. It will also help you see what the effect of any change you make in your vent settings.

Hope this helps!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »
That cloud of smoke is an indication of coals not getting enough air. I'd open the bottom vent wider than 1/4.
You do not need that much wood in the PBC. Even better without added wood.

Practice with a chicken. Go to Walmart, get a bird or 2 that you're willing to scrap. hang em in the PBC and play with it.
First few cooks you will need a temp probe to gauge how it reacts.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 11:04:57 AM »

Now - when you are prepping you charcoal allow it to stop producing a lot of white , dense smoke before you put the turkey on. You may want to consider mixing some good quality lump charcoal in with your KBB. It will increase the temp. of your fire. I find the target temp of approx. 325-350F to work best for me. So - I also advise that if you have a 2 channel remote digital thermometer ( Maverick 732, 733, 734 are all great...) And use on probe to monitor pit temp and one in the breast or thigh of the bird. This will help you accurize your cook - and help you learn your pit's cooking personality. It will also help you see what the effect of any change you make in your vent settings.

Hope this helps!
First,welcome Rick.

What Tim says on temps.To do so I had to leave out one rebar to reach that temp.The turkey holder eye hook end will slide onto one rebar.This was my first 'high temp' cook on the pbc and quite pleased with the result.

To parrot the rest,practice and "make the pbc your own" is whats its all about.Noahs directions are good baselines,but it seems each pbc owner has different environmental factors that makes practice and fine tuning unique to your place.

A little OT but with ribs,with practice,I dont need temps any more,now i can eyeball the pull back on rib ends and the doneness is now right on target.That practice part is so true.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.