Author Topic: 1st Cook on PBC Less Than Thrilled (It is all my fault though)  (Read 5701 times)

Offline jjjonz

Re: 1st Cook on PBC Less Than Thrilled (It is all my fault though)
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 12:14:05 PM »
You have already got some good advice so all I will say is when you do get it tuned in you will be getting some of the best bbq you have ever eaten.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline rickmort

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 09:52:50 PM »
I have not had a chance to get back to the last few posts...

I appreciate all the feedback and willingness of everyone to jump on the new guy with assistance.  It's appreciated.

As you all said and I also well know, it is a learning curve with each new smoker, grill or PBC, so I have some cooks to do.  Good idea getting some cheap birds to practice on, I will definitely do that.

I will keep you all updated with my results as I dial in to my PBC with my differing variables.

Thanks again.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 10:18:39 PM »
That's the spirit Rick!

I can tell you that PBC chicken is the best chicken you will ever have, and it is a greatly to build your skills and confidence.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 07:50:21 AM »

[/quote]
I think Arhon has some very good advice here - especially about soaking the wood. Also, the PBC was (I believe) NOT designed as a smoker or a replacement to a UDS. It was created to be a unique player in the outdoor cooking arena - offering it's own version of cooking. Having said that, I realize many folks (on here and elsewhere) have successfully used it as a smoker. For me - I like to use it per Noah's recco's and videos - it just works. I have a smoker for "smoking" and a grill for "grilling." I like my PBC for "PBC'ing." It is wonderful for poultry, briskets, pulled pork, etc. A different flavor from "smoking, or grilling" And that is nice to keep things mixed up in the weekly cooking plans.
[/quote]\\

Nailed it.  Most of the PBC fails I see posted here result from trying to go beyond the cooker's design parameters.  Follow Noah's instructions and its almost a guaranteed win.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »
That's the spirit Rick!

I can tell you that PBC chicken is the best chicken you will ever have, and it is a greatly to build your skills and confidence.
x2,it is a bird monster!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline 70monte

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 06:15:24 PM »
Reading posts like these is why I continue to just use Noah's recommendation on how to cook each given meat because I figure he has already did all of the experimenting on this cooker for me.  Everything I have cooked using his directions has turned out great.

If I feel like experimenting myself on a cook, I have multiple other grills and smokers to do that on.  Of coarse I understand the need for some to try different things to see what happens.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range