Author Topic: 2nd Round with PBC - Chicken  (Read 6918 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: 2nd Round with PBC - Chicken
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 08:42:17 AM »
I step away for a day and I have 10 new posts to read.   LOL!

All excellent info and appreciated.  I am not a fan of the fluid light, mainly because I have ruined good meats that way in the past, years and years ago with over saturation, or not letting it burn long enough.  That obviously not a knock on the fluid method, but me.  I can be taught new tricks though. 

I will definitely be tweaking my methods over the next few or more cooks, or maybe just purchase a looftlighter.  that things is pretty cool!  I wonder if anyone on here has one.

I find as long as I apply full coverage of lighter fluid, light immediately(not letting it soak in), then let it burn for a full 20 minutes I do not notice any lighter fluid taste. With that being said whatever is best for you is a personal choice.

I believe that Rick(Nepas) has a Looftlighter. He really seemed to like it.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2015, 08:39:47 AM »
I successfully used the chimney but had a few fails with it by not waiting long enough. Used the lighter fluid after that with no problems. Recently though I have been using a big propane weed burner torch. Takes a couple minutes and works great. Plus torches are fun

Offline Hub

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
I successfully used the chimney but had a few fails with it by not waiting long enough. Used the lighter fluid after that with no problems. Recently though I have been using a big propane weed burner torch. Takes a couple minutes and works great. Plus torches are fun

Weed torches are frequently seen in the hands of BBQ contest cooks firing up large stick burners.  It is hard to miss their distinctive roar.  And, there's something distinctly primal in blasting out a line of fire from which nothing escapes -- fun stuff  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline SC Cooker

2nd Round with PBC - Chicken
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »
I am upstate in the Greenville area, and set my damper to 1/4 open when I took it out of the box, and haven't tinkered with it since. I haven't worried about temps while cooking and so far all has worked out well. Chicken comes out perfectly and I have cooked a 5 1/2 hour brisket and still had good coals. You'll have no trouble with a shoulder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rickmort

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2015, 10:52:28 PM »
+1

Offline rickmort

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2015, 10:53:30 PM »
I am upstate in the Greenville area, and set my damper to 1/4 open when I took it out of the box, and haven't tinkered with it since. I haven't worried about temps while cooking and so far all has worked out well. Chicken comes out perfectly and I have cooked a 5 1/2 hour brisket and still had good coals. You'll have no trouble with a shoulder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 :)