Author Topic: My 13lb Snake River Farms Gold Grade American Kobe Brisket on Christmas Day  (Read 5233 times)

Offline amshepar

My 13lb Snake River Farms Gold Grade American Kobe Brisket on Christmas Day
« Reply #-1 on: December 28, 2015, 03:02:57 PM »
About 6 months ago I shelled out the $179 for one of SRF's Gold Grade American Kobe briskets.  I just needed an excuse to cook something so expensive and for enough people.  So I decided Christmas Day would be perfect.  I have done multiple briskets on the PBC and have tremendous success, all in the 12-14lb range.  I did all of the trimming the day before, did the salt and pepper rub the day before too, and put the brisket back into the fridge.

At 10:45 am I followed the standard 20 minutes with the lighter fluid and Stubb's charcoal.  I placed 4 big Hickory chunks on top of the coals (my standard practice).  I placed the brisket on the grate instead of hanging it.  I placed one rebar back into the holes.

I left my brisket and went to go see a 1230 showing of Star Wars.  At 315 PM when I get back from the movie the brisket is sitting at 205!!!  I checked multiple spots of the brisket.  The thermometer was sliding in an out of the brisket like butter everywhere.  Some spots were showing even 210.  I pulled the brisket, wrapped it in parchment paper, and placed it in the oven (I didn't have a clean cooler available).  I kept it wrapped for over 2 hours and at 6 PM I pulled it out of the oven so I could slice it.  The internal temperature had only dipped to 183 (I left the thermometer in while it was in the oven).  One thing I did was preheat the oven to 175, and once I placed the wrapped brisket in the oven I turned the oven off (keeping the oven door closed and the radiant heat from the brisket kept the inside of the oven warm (not all that different than the towel effects in a cooler was my theory).

The end result was nothing short of amazing!  The Kobe brisket is FANTASTIC.  If you can ever justify the nearly $14 per lb, it's worth trying just once.

I couldn't believe that it cooked in 4 hours, but the effects of the brisket being Extremely fatty greatly impacted the barrel temperatures.  Yet the brisket was melt in your mouth tender.  There was not a dry spot in the brisket The grease fog smell from the PBC was quite strong, but about an hour after the cook all of the grease had burnt off and I was able to grill 2lbs of scallops.  The brisket fat clearly was doing excessive dripping onto the coals.  I was disappointed I didn't get to wrap the brisket at 165 but this brisket was so fatty, even the flat, that it wasn't needed.  I suspect there was no stall time, although I wasn't there to know one way or another.

Also, I did the brisket fat side down, which is what Noah mentions in his video, but with a brisket this fatty, I'd probably try it fat side up.

Hope everybody had a great holiday and has a great New Year!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL

I'd hammer that!!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
The Turtle (Ka Honu) sent a Snake River Farms kobe brisket to a Fall Gathering in Augusta several years ago.  It cooked in a lot less time than briskets usually cook.  It was fantastic!  It is a good thing Turtle showed up when he did.  He almost didn't get any of his brisket.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

My 13lb Snake River Farms Gold Grade American Kobe Brisket on Christmas Day
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
That does look killer. How'd you get the scallops on the hooks? ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline amshepar

That does look killer. How'd you get the scallops on the hooks? ;)

Scallops on the PBC are fantastic and super simple.  12-15 minutes on each side on the grate (lol).

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Looks so GOOD I can taste it!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
WOW, that looks and sounds fantastic! I've bookmarked this for the next time I hit the lottery...  ;) ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Fantastic looking brisket!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Wow that really looks good.   Not sure if the I'd spend the money but might be worth it
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tomcrete1

Looks delicious!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline amshepar

Wow that really looks good.   Not sure if the I'd spend the money but might be worth it

It's worth it to try once.  I don't see me buying another one anytime soon.  I also don't make brisket on the PBC but 1-2x a year.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: My 13lb Snake River Farms Gold Grade American Kobe Brisket on Christmas Day
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 05:33:53 PM »
i had one of those earlier this year. They are well worth the coin. Just have to have em every once in a great while.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 06:22:08 PM »
D@mn that looks great ! ! !

I don't think I can go 2 bills, but daggone if I'm not thinking really, really hard about doing a brisket this week.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
D@mn that looks great ! ! !

I don't think I can go 2 bills, but daggone if I'm not thinking really, really hard about doing a brisket this week.

BD

Should try one just once. That's what I did......ah the memories....now back to select grade  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 07:18:19 PM »
Beautiful cook!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS